C-Spine question for canadian Nurse/Murse

mobey

This is an honest question...PLEASE do not take offence

I was in the ER lately in a fairly major city when a young man walked in complaining of neck pain. The triage nurse told him not to move, and quickly retrieved a C-collar from benieth the desk and applied it immediatly. I was headed for the spine board which is accross the hall fixed to the wall when I noticed she was leading him to a bed instructing him not to turn his head as he walked. Anyway he layed down in the bed and did not move the whole time I was in there (about 10 min). Funny part is none of the other nurse's said boo, or even acted like anything is out of the norm.

The nurse I would guess is less than 30 years old, probably finished school within the last 5.

So the question is are nurses educated in proper spinal immobilization? Is this common practice in canadian ER's or just this one?

From a US perspective...

Any nurse who works triage should have done TNCC at the very least. This covers trauma (including c-spine immoblization) a little more than they would have got in nursing school, at least in the practical sense. There are many other courses and seminars which should be encouraged for those ED staff who are not exposed to too much trauma. Whether or not they apply what they learn is another matter.

Shouldn't be walking with collars, kind of defeats the purpose. If the decision was made that the spine needs to be immobilized, then you were right to go fetch the board.

By the way, it is not uncommon for people to walk into EDs with broken necks.

Well so far in my short career here in alberta i have noticed that not many nurses take any Spinal precaution when it is in fact needed. Mind u this is rural alberta, however i've showed up to the hospital to transport unstable fractures and the patient is not only in no spinal but also sitting in a chair.... if anything i give credit to X-ray tech's, i've seen some (young one's to) that told nursing staff when the patient comes in for them to stay in spinal or to add it when its needed. :lol:

The nurses here in our little hospital call the paramedics when they need someone immobilized in the er.

I don't think they've never been taught, they do it so seldom they would rather have the people who do it all the time do it right the first time.

There is no need for a board. A long board is only for transport purposes. Walking may not have been the best idea, but a long board is not needed.

i'd agree with that

one of the things i gradually changed practice over at the last ED i worked in was - if you immobilise someone at triage - you do it 'properly'

i.e. maintain neutral alignment , a properly sized collar and transfer them onto a trolley at triage then sandbag/ HEAD blocks and tapes before moving to a exam room

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.