lack of camradarie part2

swedbabe2002

OK this poses another question. Should this service even be allowed to have a paramedic training program? I have seen times when the medics didn't like a student for whatever reason and didn't let them do anything but check vitals. How are they supposed to get their DOT requirements done? I have seen times too when the medics didn't like a student and had actually gotten them kicked out of the program. The instructors of this program had all worked for the service prior to becoming instructors and, thus, stand behind the paramedics. Complaining to the instructors doesn't do any good. It's not fair to the students.

Without knowing the dynamics behind this issue it's hard to discuss rationally.

My opinion is this is what is happening.

Something the student has done has made them treat them this way. Maybe it's not the student's fault but there are a myriad of reasons this might happen.

appearance of the student

Attitude of the student

demeanor of the student

reputation of the student

Appearance - did they look groomed and professional in appearance

Attitude - what was their initial attitude when they arrived for their ride? Was it gung ho or was it "I'm not checking the ambulance out"

Demeanor of the student - goes directly to attitude also

reputation of student - if the instructors are friends of the medics allowing the rides and they say, "this student's a tosser or someone who is not smart or what not" then they may not get a chance

OR

The medic's who are running the trucks are just Arseholes and don't want to do any work.

Either or, sounds like your program is a crappy one.

Is it too late to get into another class or program?

• 2 months later...

I dropped out of my medic program (2 mos in) just for the reason that the nurses didn't like me on a personal level and the so called bitchmedic I rode with wrote alot of lies for what didn't happen on my part to my teacher. Medic I rode with wouldn't let me practice assessments on patients, accused me of falsifying my class run reports, unwilling to help me learn. This same medic with the hospital staff would just blow me off when I had a question.

My instructor was and still is one of the most cockist people I know out there. I had a question for him when I saw him in the ER and blew me off! The instructor always sides with the nurses and the medics we ride with. Pardon my french but, that's one biased A$$hole.

Now that I'm out of the paramedic program, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. I absolutely will not go back to that program or hospital even if I'm on my death bed.

Forgot to mention that no classmates of mine was willing to take the time to help me along, not even study groups.

the nurses didn't like me on a personal level

Medic I rode with wouldn't let me practice assessments on patients, accused me of falsifying my class run reports, unwilling to help me learn. This same medic with the hospital staff would just blow me off when I had a question.

My instructor was and still is one of the most cockist people I know I had a question for him when I saw him in the ER and blew me off!

Pardon my french but, that's one biased A$$hole.

no classmates of mine was willing to take the time to help me along, not even study groups.

Perhaps you should take a deep breath...Re-read your post and try to find the root of your problem.

We had a student that was treated much like you were. I can tell you that in "our" defence we did not see him having a future in EMS. He was cocky, snide, dressed inappropriate, talked trash, and thought he knew it all.

Not saying that you are, but if EVERYONE around you is treating you that bad, do a quick self assessment and see if you would even be your own co-worker, or friend.

I dropped out of my medic program (2 mos in) just for the reason that the nurses didn't like me on a personal level and the so called bitchmedic I rode with wrote alot of lies for what didn't happen on my part to my teacher. Medic I rode with wouldn't let me practice assessments on patients, accused me of falsifying my class run reports, unwilling to help me learn. This same medic with the hospital staff would just blow me off when I had a question.

My instructor was and still is one of the most cockist people I know out there. I had a question for him when I saw him in the ER and blew me off! The instructor always sides with the nurses and the medics we ride with. Pardon my french but, that's one biased A$$hole.

Now that I'm out of the paramedic program, I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. I absolutely will not go back to that program or hospital even if I'm on my death bed.

Forgot to mention that no classmates of mine was willing to take the time to help me along, not even study groups.

If you got along with no one maybe you need to see if you are the problem. Not trying to sound rude but it's really hard to believe all of them are out to get you.

This sounds familiar of a poster that was on EMS forums about a year ago, and after multiple discussions was banned from some sites because of their attitude. If it is the same one, apparently they still have not learned anything as of yet.

I agree with Spenac, if it appears that it is everyone else then you one should look at their ownself. One can have bad luck, but with that many people hmmm....?

R/r 911

OK this poses another question. Should this service even be allowed to have a paramedic training program? I have seen times when the medics didn't like a student for whatever reason and didn't let them do anything but check vitals. How are they supposed to get their DOT requirements done? I have seen times too when the medics didn't like a student and had actually gotten them kicked out of the program. The instructors of this program had all worked for the service prior to becoming instructors and, thus, stand behind the paramedics. Complaining to the instructors doesn't do any good. It's not fair to the students.

Did they have that experience with more than one preceptor? Was it a medic rotation?

You know, sometimes it pays to read between the lines of the posts.

"The instructor took sides with the nurses and medics always." Stop. By stating this, it seems obvious that the student holds himself on equal footing with the LICENSED RN's and the CERTIFIED Paramedics. Now if you are student, and you consider yourself to have a say on the way things are run, before you graduate, you will irritate a lot of people. I think we found the problem.

If I was the instructor and I was in the ER on business, I might blow you off too. Now, I'm a pretty polite guy (stop laughing, really I am), so if it was me, I'd probably say that I was busy right now and I'd answer your question later. Some people aren't as polite as I am. Oh well. :roll:

If I was the instructor and I was in the ER on business, I might blow you off too. Now, I'm a pretty polite guy (stop laughing, really I am), so if it was me, I'd probably say that I was busy right now and I'd answer your question later. Some people aren't as polite as I am. Oh well. :roll:

My instructor was not there on business. He was BS-ing with other ems personall outside when I approached him. He was nowhere near how you descibed it. He told me to just leave.

I talked to some past people last night that was in his program and they told me that no matter what I wasn't the only one, they too had the same problems. 4 of the 7 I talked to dropped out, waited till the next class come arround and went to a different program. And yes, they regretted going to the first program to begin with, which I took.