In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back?

spenac

How are the medic students learning to intubate if they are not getting OR time? Come to think of it, what excuse does the hospital use for not letting them in? This is a very poor situation and really shows a lack of respect towards the colleagues in EMS. The only way to intially learn intubation is in a controlled environment with a fasted pt. Only when you've mastered that should you go onto progress to the stressful EMS intubations where the pt is covered in vomit and weighs 350lbs. (and smells too..............).

I far as I'm aware, all of the countries where ALS is practised out of hospital require an OR rotation to learn the basics. And that is the only way it should be, because as charming as ResusciAnnie is, she really ain't the real thing.

WM

WM

Many hospitals fear getting sued. Even though many schools and students carry insurance they still refuse. I actually got my intubations by making friends with the respiratory people while doing ER rotations. They would just call down to ER and let me go up and intubate. In theUSA many hospitals look down on EMS so leave us out.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right you are both aussiephil and terri but it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us, been there and got treated like an idiot when i tried to get on the local service where il lived and they saw me as one of those people that are not worthy to be one of them, so i ended up letting my cert go, since i moved i decided to get beck into it because it is what wanted to do is to help people in need, even if im a volunteer, paid or not

One of the things that we lack in EMS is a lobbiest for our rights and a national union like nurses, doctors, and fire fighters have. If we had these things then our education, pay, and all other things that we 'have' to have in order to perform within the guidelines of our licensure could be set. No more abuse and misuse by services in which we're employed. Our job holds many risks in and of itself. We should be recognized as well as respected for what we do and the risks we take to ensure life.

well when I posted that 3000th post thing I was at 2999 but I had to answer a couple of posts and the number went up.

Oh well< I guess I'll make my 4000th post count

I think there are many, many reasons that we are held back. I do agree that, as stated in the original post, the fact that we must transport every one is a problem. Another big one is, simply stated, volunteers. I am NOT against volunteers or volunteering, I started off as a volunteer. What I mean is unfortunate actually, and not a bias against anyone who volunteers, rather a byproduct of the publics perception of volunteers. I simply mean that as long as people continue to do this for free, people will continue to refuse to pay a serious wage to the ones who ARE paid. Some would argue that many firefighters are volunteer and they don't suffer the same fate. That's a valid argument, but I would disagree, saying that many firefighters are grossly underpaid. I simply can't sit here and type out all of the pro's and con's in this forum. I think something that would help...advertisement. Yes, advertisement. We must sell ourselves as the much needed professionals that we are. The first line of defense in so many emergencies. I'm talking a full on, nationwide, awareness campaign. A media blitz. TV commercials, magazines articles, newspapers, internet, billboards,etc. And get some famous people involved. The Hollywood types love "pet" causes and often need our help. Start contacting all of those who have been helped by EMS and get them on board. Sounds expensive? It will be. But just like anything else, it takes money to make money.

OTHER THAN EDUCATION, In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back? What is keeping us from being viewed as professionals? What is the main reason if you have more than one?

Is it fire involvement? Is it our lack of identifiable uniform? What do you think is holding us back? Please don't bash anyone for their opinion, I really want to see what besides limited education is behind us being unable to advance as a profession.

In my opinion I think what holds us back is that we have to transport all callers. We have lowered ourselves to nothing more than taxi drivers. Do you see Doctors doing heart surgery just because the patient say's hey I woke up this morning and well I think I want a triple by-pass? I am all for having people dialing 911 if not sure if it is an emergency, but after we evaluate we should be able to treat and release or deny transport if it can wait for them to buy over the counter med, put ice on it, wipe their nose, or they can safely go private vehicle to the ER or their doctor. Until we can say no to people we are nothing more than low paid taxi drivers and will never be looked at as healthcare professionals.

One of the things that we lack in EMS is a lobbiest for our rights and a national union like nurses, doctors, and fire fighters have.

Doctors and nurses have a national union?

When did this happen? Then never sent me a membership card!

Doctors and nurses have a national union?

When did this happen? Then never sent me a membership card!

It is difficult to move forward if you do not know where your profession has been, how the infrastructure of healthcare works and how it pertains to EMS, routes to take for change, key roles of local, state and federal government, and what national organizations are out there.

In addition to the degree program I proposed a few posts back, I would like to include another mandatory 3 hour class. It would include:

1. the history of EMS

2. an overview of healthcare professions

3. how medical legislation works

4. how to stay informed about medical legislation that affects EMS rather than the glaring general headline makers

5. how funding and benefits are lobbied for and by whom, why and for who

6. local, state and federal taxation structure and funding for municipal, county and private

7. how medicare and private insurances provide reimbursement

8. how national medical organizations fit into the various professions

9. what role unions actually play in professional healthcare

10. the dilemmas, of both the insured and uninsured, to accessing the U.S. healthcare systems

I feel a better public education system geared toward Emergency Services and Public Safety, would greatly improve the image of EMS in the minds of the general public.

A public education programme geared towards separating EMS from "public safety" would actually be the very best thing to improve our image in the minds of the general public. Until that happens, we're just easily replaceable blue collar civil servants to be taken for granted, instead of valued medical professionals with education and skills that cannot be replaced in a matter of hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.