In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back?

spenac

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's that lovable charm I missed. :hippy2:

But seriously, man. You did just kind of illustrate exactly what this topic is about. Way too many people are perfectly "okay" with "good enough", and don't really care about being any better. They want the path of least resistance. The minimum standard. Just to hold their piece of the pie, with no regard for the big picture. Being "okay with that" is what is holding EMS back.

Thanks Dust for weighing in on this topic. I had an idea we would be of similar minds on this subject. It's always difficult for an outsider to form an opinion that may aggrevate certain members here. As you know, I do have a fair experience of US EMS and so my opinion is not entirely based upon "ER" and "Grays Anatomy" (no, I don't watch. Honestly, your honor :lol: ).

Another good point has been raised by Trial, what do you do about retention of skills? I know that here, in the less busy areas, the medics are required to jobswap with medics from urban areas; this keeps their patient contact numbers up. Every two years we go back into the OR to intubate, cannulate and polish up the old BVM skills. Is there anything similar with you guys?

WM

. Every two years we go back into the OR to intubate, cannulate and polish up the old BVM skills. Is there anything similar with you guys?WM

Nothing required like that nationwide. Some medical directors require ER and OR rotations every so often so that skills can be practiced.

Nothing required like that nationwide. Some medical directors require ER and OR rotations every so often so that skills can be practiced.

It should be nationwide though and I think you would agree spenac.

Here, we have to show proficiency in all ALS and BLS skills annually. It is mandated by the Medical Director. I have no problem with this as I might need someone to help me sometime and I feel somewhat reassured that the medic knows what they are doing if one of the less used skills is practised. It also makes me feel better about my own competency.

It should be nationwide though and I think you would agree spenac.

Here, we have to show proficiency in all ALS and BLS skills annually. It is mandated by the Medical Director. I have no problem with this as I might need someone to help me sometime and I feel somewhat reassured that the medic knows what they are doing if one of the less used skills is practised. It also makes me feel better about my own competency.

Yes sir I fully agree that we need to get hands on more often. Sadly many hospitals are not allowing non-hospital people to touch patients even making it harder to get practice.

How are the medic students learning to intubate if they are not getting OR time? Come to think of it, what excuse does the hospital use for not letting them in? This is a very poor situation and really shows a lack of respect towards the colleagues in EMS. The only way to intially learn intubation is in a controlled environment with a fasted pt. Only when you've mastered that should you go onto progress to the stressful EMS intubations where the pt is covered in vomit and weighs 350lbs. (and smells too..............).

I far as I'm aware, all of the countries where ALS is practised out of hospital require an OR rotation to learn the basics. And that is the only way it should be, because as charming as ResusciAnnie is, she really ain't the real thing.

WM

WM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.