In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back?

spenac

And, of course, volunteers comprise such a large percentage of EMS providers

Now that's an interesting question in itself. Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to which way the scale tips on a national level? I can't seem to find conclusive proof anywhere.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with volunteerism in EMS either. You will never gain the the credibility and professional status that is required by having unpaid, poorly trained and educated people doing this to satisfy their own ego's. They may well have the misguided notion that they are doing it for their communities, but if their community prioritized differently (ie- paid ALS) then everyone would be better off.

Answer to all the problems - EMS should be at least degree level, no volunteerism and a national set of protocols that were robust enough to make Medical Command unnecessary (it really would drive me mad to have to ask the doctor every time I wanted to do something other than the absolute basics).

Oh, I forgot - a workable no transport policy would be quite nice too...

WM

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's an interesting question in itself. Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to which way the scale tips on a national level? I can't seem to find conclusive proof anywhere.

WM

Almost impossible to get figures that are accurate. Most states just have a list of certifications but not a break down of those that are paid/volly/or not active. Some states actually never delete you. So once certified always certified.

My guess would be that there are more active paid paramedics than volunteer paramedics. There is no justification for a volly system any longer. I have seen first hand a service that averages only 18 calls a year go paid. They now have a 24 hour 365 day a year paid staff with a paramedic on board all shifts. It can be done if people get off the crapper and quit giving it away for free.

I was a firm proponent of denying transport but recently I have seen so many idiotic statements from and by people on here and in the news that I really doubt most are educated enough to even deny transport to somebody that just says they want a ride to lunch.

I was a firm proponent of denying transport but recently I have seen so many idiotic statements from and by people on here and in the news that I really doubt most are educated enough to even deny transport to somebody that just says they want a ride to lunch.

That, for me, is the statement of the week. Brilliant! And sad too..... It says a lot about American EMS, doesn't it really?

And you're right too, call volume should not be the deciding factor when it comes to staffing issues. This creates a paradox whereby the larger cities have ALS for the 3-4 minute ride to definitive care whilst the less densely populated areas with far longer transport times (and, by definition, more chance of complications) have to rely on the goodwill of their community.

There are so many good EMS professionals out there that deserve recognition. Not just in a literal sense but also in terms of renumeration. Is it any wonder why well trained, motivated individuals can barely make a decent living when others are giving it out for free? That's just plain wrong....

WM

So here we are again, with the old question, why buy the cow when free milk is all around?

A universal theme seems to be, get rid of the volunteers, a nice idea, but I’m sure you’d get more than a little protest. (Not only the volleys, but the towns being serviced by them).

More than a few of us have heard the saying; a city is willing to pay more to remove their trash, than take your loved one to the hospital.

It was an interesting earlier post saying that city’s essentially had better ALS care with less need for it then our rural counterparts, I tend to agree, I worry about my family in the “burbs” all the time because I know they are served (?) by an all volunteer group, so as far as response time, level, and experience it’s catch as catch can, not acceptable in my eyes.

I recently had a discussion with a friend that lives in a very expensive and exclusive county, and they were surprised to learn that a homeless person on the street in my neck of the woods would receive better and faster care, after all, they pay a LOT of taxes…

Again back to an earlier statement, to make changes will require educating the public, when folks find out what their tax dollars are actually buying, I think the problem will correct itself.

The problem is Public announcements require money, and lots of it.

So going back to my previous post, if an organization, whose sole purpose, or mission statement, was to run public information ads, and later on lobby local government, so the PUBLIC finally understands what they’re NOT paying for, and how much that non investment is ACTUALLY costing them was formed.

What is that worth to you?

How much would you be willing to give out of your hard earned paycheck to educate the public and raise the standards of your fellow EMS professionals?

Folks, forgive me, we can talk all we like about changing the standards under which we work, but at its end this argument will all come down to money.

IMHO

As always,

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

Hi Dust,

Just try: www.sovam.nl or www.azn.nl. I'm not sure the protocols are online yet. There are plans to do so, but we are all issued a little green book called the "Bible" at the moment. (Some would sat that I need the real bible the way I practice, but that's another story.... :o ). Failing that, there's a snazzy film in english on the second site...

WM

What's so ignorant about that statement?

Feel free to take a shot, that's what the forum is for...but make sure you back up your argument instead of taking cheap shots like this.

I was simply stating a truth, albeit a truth that a lot of people don't want to hear.

When you have system where EMS is all ALS and the minimum entry requirement is a nursing degree + post-graduate critical care qualifications, then you can take a shot at me.... :twisted:

WM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.