nerves

emt12resq

When I got my first EMS job I was also nervous. Mine was more so, I had a partner who had worked at the facility for many years, so when it was my run I would clam up because I didn't want to "step on his toes". When I finally realized that I worked there also, and regardless it was MY patient at the time, we did things my way, and I got over that nervousness quickly. You aren't out there to impress people, you are out there for one reason and that is to assist people in their time of need. So I suggest focusing in on your patient and not worrying about who is with you.

Another thing is, it did not take me a year to get over my nervousness. Maybe a week. Do a lot of communication with the ones who you are intimidated by, maybe you have no reason.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got online and wow so many ppl have responded since last night. Ok to clear everything up. Im not paid yet. Working on that, like some of you said im only 18 and it takesa few years to get through school. Im a volunteer and at the educationlevel of EMT-B I kinda live in a small town right now so not many medics around. Anyway in the spring of 2008 Im moving to Va beach to go to tidewater community college to go to school. I will be taking my EMT-E coarse and EMT-I coarse. If i succeed in that Im moving onto my Paramedic certification. I know and have known im cut out for this job. Ive wanted to be in the back of an ambulance since i was little and watched Rescue 911.Its just some of the people i run with just cut in front of me when im trying to question or take vitals and makes me not very confident. I mean Im good with vital the questions are coming a little slow and they jump right in. Every piece of info i can get my hands on i do. And as for asking questions when the call is over im ahead of you on that one, every thing i fell inconfident about I ask a question of what I can do better. I just feel like some of the "senior" volunteers arent into newbees. Plus the company im with is ALL drama. Everyday theres a different agruments because everyone wants to be the best and I know for a fact thats not what its about. So its not that im not really or cut out for it im just not pushed enough and I try but am put down for pretty much everything i do.

Agreed.

EMT class does not begin to prepare you for what you will encounter in this profession, assuming you stick with it. I'm not going to say Paramedic school will either, but you be MORE prepared than as a basic 120 hour EMT. You will have been more thoroughly educated, at least 2 years more mature, 2 years more life experience, 2 years more experience in the medical field. Two more years to decide if this really is what you want to do.

I realize that you're brand new, and from what I gather, you're with a Volunteer Fire Company. You're young, dumb, and full of some...ideas that may be a misconception of what EMS is all about. Does your FD have ambulances? Are you an EMT yet? If you're brand new, how long have you been a member? If you're REALLY new, they should not yet have you on an ambulance (if ur not an EMT), but rather concentrating on getting your basic skills, such as CPR, FF-I, VehExt, HazMat, and so forth.

Don't let the lights and sirens dazzle you too much. This is a serious field, and not one for joyriders. If you're serious, good luck to you, and like the other guys before me stated, get an education in EMS. Don't SETTLE for EMT-Basic. If, in the end, you decide EMS isn't for you, you can always remain on the FD as a firemonkey, and roll hose :) That's an important role as well.

My lands people. Give the kid a break. Yes she needs to be more professional in her posts. Yes she needs to give more info. She did not say she was a paramedic, and I doubt it with her age. She say's she's new, she's asking for help, so lets help her.

As far as getting excited at the tones, I bet everyone here when they started out got excited. Now if like me now, you say oh crap another stubbed toe as you stumble to the ambulance. But hey let's help her and any other new ones that come here humbly asking for help.

Edited because she posted while I was writing my post. Now a little bit of tough love on my part. Stop being a volunteer. That will help you get better quicker than anything else I can say. STOP VOLUNTEERING. Glad to hear you are already planning to continue your education. I will be happy to try and help you if I can. Also remember spellcheck before posting.

ok. va not putting you down at all but I feel like you didnt even read what I wrote above you. Im in a Volunteer Fire and Rescue department.so yes we do have ambulances. Im certified EMT-B and Im going to school in the spring to get my other cerifications before my medic. ANd at the age of 17 EMT or not your allowed to ride in the back you just cant do anything. Pretty much worthless haha. I know I have a LONG way to go and Ive been riding with the few medics we have to get some advice an more experience. Im trying really hard and I read, go on websites. anything I can do to learn more.

Spenac, well said.

I would offer her this piece of advice which will help her immensely in her report writing of which I used to be called the chart nazi.

Take at least 1 or better yet, 2 semesters of english composition. She's young and inexperienced and her high school probably prepped her in English about as good as they prep anyone but taking two semesters of English composition would benefit her extremely well.

I'm not knocking her posting because, even with the misspellings and the grammatical errors that I saw, I was able to clearly read what she was trying to say.

One other thing would be for her to take the person aside that jumps in on her call and ask them why they jumped in. She might be surprised in their reasons or maybe not, who knows. But I know that when I was in her shoes, I felt that others jumped in and took over and after taking the time to ask them, I was surprised by their answers.

Anyhow, good luck and keep the posts here coming. We aren't really all a-holes here. Many of us(the vast majority) are here to help you get more experience and a better handle on the calls that every one have been exposed to.

And my most hated calls Spenac, are the ER to Nursing home calls at 3am. Why can't they just hold them till the next shift comes on????

Well, I was nervous when I first got my EMT card in the mail!! I had been on many calls as an "observer" basically a gopher. But day after I got my card I slept in and got put on a mutual aid call to the next county over for a MVA car into a pole, possible entrapment. I was so nervous I could barely speak. Trying to get map taken care of and talk on the radio. We ended up getting cancelled because a closer unit was finally able to respond. I joke that someone could have offered me $100 to spit in their hand and I would not have been able to do it!!

But, as time moved on it got easier and I got better. I ended up as the stations EMS Rookie of the Year. I say this not to boast, but to show how I went from one extreme to the other. I did it and you can to! Just be confident and remember when you ar in charge you are in charge.

Sarge

Spenac,

Thanks so much for sticking up for me. haha One thing I wanted to reply to you though. I know you said stop Volunteering. I've tried. I applied for a job in Alexandria Va to become a paramedic. They give you all the training. I got past the HOBET test, The physical exam, And the panel interview. I guess the next step, I just wasnt what they were looking for. I gave it a try anyway. I plan on applying for more jobs soon but I really think I need more education and more experience first. I dont want to jump into something I cant handle first. City calls compared to my little country town calls I for a fact are A LOT different. I still get excited for call probally because where I live we get 1 maybe 2 calls A WEEK! Sometimes we have more but its not likely. So .....

At one point or another we were all new. We all had to potty train, start first grade, begin high school. There is no shame in being new. The shame is in pretending you know what you do not know.

Mentoring is about more then grading how a new EMT performs a SAMPLE history, applies oxygen, performs CPR. It's more about grading how a new paramedic starts an IV, intubates, or defibrillates. It's about setting an example. What is your student to gain by seeing you angry, abusive, or degrading? A new person needs encouragement along with constructive criticism. If they have passed the course, they should know the skills. It is now time to help them deal with people, with partners, with other departments on calls. These things can not be taught in a text.

We are all mentors. Lead by example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.