nerves

emt12resq

Ok I was simply asking if the volunteering I was doing was worth the practice. I wasnt going against any of the advice you were giving just asking. I respect everyone advice and opinions. Im not meaning to step on anyones toes here. As for me getting excited for tones, I'm young, im new, and its not the tones that i get excited about knowing that I'm about to go help someone who needs my help. I appreciate knowing my 1-2 calls a week will not help.

As for me wanting to know how to do it right, YES i want to know thats why I asked. Im not trying to waste anyones time just merely questioning some replies I know you guys are veterns but I still like to question to make sure im on the right path.

I'm not meaning to lose respect here. And i say anyone was trying to stop if that what it sounded like thats not what i meant. What I meant by that whole thing was referring back to when I commended for staying and running off for some constructive critism. And my biggest goal is to become a professional. I want to be a professional paramedic more than anything. And I want to hear what everyone has to say, it means a lot to me it really does but like I said I have to question and give my point of view back to you so everyone correct it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have promise my friend. You have yet to run off from the onslaught of dust and myself and others.

Please keep your eye on the ultimate goal of paramedic.

Dust and others have given exellent and truly valuable advice. If you paid for the advice you would have paid 19.95 on late night tv.

Please keep the questions coming and don't let all of us run you off.

Some of the most educated and skilled people in the entire field of EMS are on this site. Many with 20 or more years of experience in ems. Others with 10 or more years.

We speak truth grasshopper.

. The experience you get from 2 calls a week is nothing. You should be working towards getting a good education. If like you say the tones get you off then you should be right there with the level of excitement of your other vollies.

Get out of that situation and get some schooling. Unfortunately, after my earlier post I think this person needs more than two semester's of English Comp. Not to be critical(ok I will actually) if you are writing reports and your grammar and spelling is as bad on your patient care reports as it is here then you are in trouble.

Please don't give me the old standby excuse that I type differently on the internet than I do on the Patient care reports. That's a lame excuse. There is such a thing as spellcheck. I am just as bad as many on the internet but I try to compose a decently worded reply or post.

Like I said earlier I'm about to start working towards my education in the spring. I had to have some time to find a place and get a job before I can move four hours away to start school. I'm passionate about it but I need time too.

As for my grammer, spelling, etc... I'm not going to give you any BS about I write differently online because I dont. When I write on a computer though I have a problem of not going back and reading what i write so theres a lot of errors. Habit i guess. I'll work on it for everyone. If I'm writing a paper, or writing on the PPCR I check what I write to make sure its correct. I know I'm not the best speller or the best with grammer but I try to get as close as I can. As long as everyone understands what I'm trying to say. Still I'll work on that for everyone. Sorry for inconvience of my "sucky" english. haha

Like I said before as long as you take what we tell you or say to you with the spirit that it's intended it's all good.

I'm glad to hear that you are more conscious of your grammar and such on important things like pcr's and papers. That's a good thing.

The offer of any help I can give is always there as well it's always available to anyone on this site other than Dustdevil, he's got my private line.

First and foremost..welcome to "The City"....there are several warm ppl here whom will welcome with open arms as well. I am here to say I am not far behind you when it comes to being new..Infact I have just began EMT courses to get my EMT-b...I have however worked in the medical field for 8 years this coming october. I have done urgent care, occupational care, family practice, I worked at the hospital level on acute care and sub-acute care with geriatrics. I now work at a doctor's office in patient care at a family practice/alternative medicine facility. I love my job, I love the health care, I love knowing I am there to help when ppl are in need and don't feel well. I have always wanted to be an EMT for numerous years..when I really knew it was where my lifeblood was at was when my mother passed away 14 years ago and up until her death I took care of her..she was a brittle diabetic and on kidney dialysis..died at the age of 34, BUT NOT to ramble.. I knew a very long time ago that being an EMT and onto my EMT-P I wanted to do just that, I have taken a long road to get there because now I am 30 and just now pursuing the field, but I feel I am educated and have been through college and numerous medical training and I have worked in ER as a volunteer and etc... SO my main concern for all this typing is to make sure you get your education...it is the most important, and further more if you know this is what you want to do then don't give up on your goals, desires and dreams.

There will be days that we are tested and feel intimidated by others, but don't let that put a damper on your outlook of what you want to do..I know that I to will have those days once I get out there on the ambulance, but I feel I am very outspoken so if there is something I want to discuss that I don't feel comfortable with I intend to speak with my partner when time permits. I also am a very outspoken person so I am sure or I HOPE to be able to do just fine in giving the care that is needed to our patient's with my partner(s)..but I do wish you the best of luck, don't give up, keep your head up, get your education and go for it. If you need anything that I may be able to help with feel free to drop me a line.

Be Blessed,

Shannon

As a former volly, that actually was with a good service, with people that are good instructors, I still got very little benefit. I did not develope my skills till I went paid and actually had to work. In your case you don't even seem to have people that are willing to help you so you are not gaining anything by being a volly except frustration and bad habits. I wish you the best in your education and your future career. I encourage you to ask for help in the forums or private message me if you need more help.

Sounds like you might be a bit overwhelmed on scene. But I must admit I have been there also. I started with a volunteer fire service while going through school to gain experience. When you get on scene of that medical emergency its like you have had absolutely no training at all!! My best advise would be to find experienced personal to respond with and watch, listen, and just observe while on a call. It takes much time, education, and experience to be able to practice medicine with the confidence you are looking for.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommend following the advice from those who have been around for awhile. I am a senior in college (22 yo) who found EMS halfway through my senior year. I am glad I have gotten a college education. It gave me some of those classes they [Ruffems] was talking about. It also gave me the maturity needed in this field and an education.

I am currently riding with a paid ALS service (I am not paid for riding but I am not a volunteer) for good experience from quality mentors. Even though I disagree with some people about not volunteering, it sounds like you need to stop with the company you are with. The experience you are getting is not good.

Also, forget the EMT-I like Dust was saying. I thought about going that route but was told if you want a medical education (paramedic) EMT-I is not the way to go. With EMT-I (correct me here if I am wrong) you are trained to do things, e.g. push certain drugs if this happens, if A happens do B. Due to them not educating on the mechanics of why and how those drugs work and the need behind them for what they are used for, it is a lot tougher to educate you. That is what I was told by an instructor who teaches paramedic level classes.

Since then, I decided to skip the EMT-I and go straight to the paramedic level.

Don't let people bother you. I have encountered those who use to make me be a little nervous (especially when I was a Basic student), but I realized I was there to learn and for them to make sure what I am doing is correct. Now when I ride and those same people are on duty I have the mentality that I will do what I have learned (e.g. vitals, SAMPLE, etc.) and if they intervene it is because there is something they need to know that I am not asking or doing, or if it is in my scope of practice they will ask me to do it. So just be yourself and don't let them being around make you nervous.

Good Luck and Be Safe

AMESEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.