Males verses Females

AprilPretty07

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the ratio of male to female employment in the EMT fields?

It's evening out quickly in many areas. However, in much of the country, where EMS is dominated by firemonkeys, the female percentage remains pretty low. This, like your salary question, is going to have to be a lot more area specific before you get a relevant answer.

Are these questions specifically asking about RURAL EMS, or did you just post all these in the wrong forum?

either which way, I would do the exact thing, to actually have the balls, some women prefer.

I know some men dont like a women in the firehose department, it's a man's job.

I read not to long ago, that if a woman can be a nun, why cant men?

Hey Dust how would you look in a habit, how's those legs of yours? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say, as a female in the field and have been for almost 7 yrs, i believe females have the right to be here just as much as males do. i have no problem with females working on the trucks or working as 2 on a crew. As a female who has worked many times with other females as well as with males, i would rather work with a male on 80% of the time. I think things just work out easier, and many times it helps to put the pt at ease with one of each sex. also, it has been an unfortunate pattern that has arisen that the longer the females work together, the more problems arise....i may be wrong, but after working at several places and seeing the same thing over and over again, it seems to be true!!

I work for two services and in both it is about a 50/50 split. I think it is becoming more accepted for women to join the EMS field these days. I also believe that more women are finding the courage to take that step outside of the hospital and clinic settings and choosing to be prehospital providers. The school that I am attending currently has more female in their paramedic program then males.

It's funny, because where I am, I think it's about 50/50, if not just slightly more males at the volunteer agency I used to work with, where the paid service I'm with now is DEFINITELY more males. I'm one of four females, and the other 15 or so employees are male. Now I know I may ruffle some female feathers here, but I know why this generally is. Physically speaking, a man is generally going to be able to lift more than a female. Unless you do a lot of weight training ladies, it's true. I work out at the gym because I know my slight 5'4", 115 lbs. frame cannot lift much without truly working at it. As a result, I can probably lift more than my three female co-workers, and the guys I work with appreciate it. Is it fair that women are in the field less? I say that if you can't get your 500-lbs patient into the truck with your crew, then you need more men. I only say this because I've never seen any man drop a stretcher with a patient on it, but I have seen women do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.