Ems/Emt question

flealee

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search and Google can better answer you. Basically the difference in EMS and EMT is like stating .."Health Care and physician".

EMT's usually work in the division of health care called Emergency Medical Services (EMS)

There are over 100+ levels of EMT, however; there is usually 3 main levels in order of hierarchy.

Basic

Intermediate/Advanced

Paramedic

R/r 911

Search and Google can better answer you. Basically the difference in EMS and EMT is like stating .."Health Care and physician".

EMT's usually work in the division of health care called Emergency Medical Services (EMS)

There are over 100+ levels of EMT, however; there is usually 3 main levels in order of hierarchy.

Basic

Intermediate/Advanced

Paramedic

R/r 911

That pretty much covers it. An EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) is a person that has completed the proper training to receive the title of being an EMT. EMS (Emergency Medical Services) is a system of people and equipment that includes but is not limited to EMT's, MICN's (or RN's that do pre-hospital care), ambulances, helicopters, etc. Usually these services are activated by the 911 system and they provide emergency response for sudden illnesses or injuries.

An EMT-B certification is a 120 hour class and a state test following to be registered. A EMT-B is considered to give care that is at the BLS (basic life support) level.

An EMT-P is much longer, an EMT-P is kind of a pre-hospital nurse. They can start IV's, push certain drugs, provide ACLS (advanced cardiac life support), and do a more detailed assessment.

An EMT-I is kind of an in between. (I wish I knew more about their guidelines and what they can do, but NJ does not have an EMT-I level)

So hopefully between these two responses you can understand a little more of what both abbreviations mean and stand for.

An EMT-P is much longer, an EMT-P is kind of a pre-hospital nurse. They can start IV's, push certain drugs, provide ACLS (advanced cardiac life support), and do a more detailed assessment.

Thats some funny stuff right there!!!

Thats some funny stuff right there!!!

LOL! Definitely! So funny that it's almost sad. :? But I realise that blueangelfightr wasn't really going for the definitive answer, so I'll let it go.

The difference between "EMS" and "EMT" is the same as the difference between "police" and "policeman." The latter is the worker, and the former is where he works.

An "EMS" is a/an Emergency Medical Service, considered to be a part of the EMS System.

An EMT is a/an Emergency Medical Technician, a person trained to a level of competency of pre-hospital medical care, and are a major operational part of a/an EMS.

A letter or number following the initials EMT will tell those versed in the "language" of EMS, to what level of competency the individual is trained, as recognized by a town, city, county, state or provence, or country's agency so set up to regulate medical care within their jurisdiction, as, in my case, the New York State Department of Health's Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.

A/an EMS can be operated by a group of unpaid individuals from a community (a Volunteer EMS service provider), with training, equipment, and other needed things either paid by direct donations from the members of the geo-political area, or via taxes.

It can also be under the operations of either a paid or volunteer fire department, a police department, a sheriff's office, a hospital, a corporation or company that wants such service provided for their employees, their families, and others within the company's geo-political area. It can be privately owned for the profit of the owner or owning agency from providing the service to paying individuals, or under contract to serve a geo-political area's residents and transients or visitors within that area.

I hope that this helps, while admittedly, I turned this into a school class.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.