I-85 vs I-99

emtek21

I'm an EMT-B/IV in Colorado, I plan on takin my Intermediate but I don't know how many states still use I-85 over I-99. The only reason I ask about this is I there are a few paramedic programs in different states that I'm looking at and I don't know what level they honor. My next question is which do you think is better?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that EMT I-85 is not much more than a EMT -B with a few more skills and a little more education. Conversely, EMT I-99 is "OMG! I wish I had done a few more months and went to paramedic school!". I can't really confirm this as NC is a non NR state currently, but my opinion is based on information gathered here and other sources. I in no way am trying to discourage you from furthering you education, in fact, I commend it.

If you are considering going the I-99 route, or I-85 for that matter, seriously consider going to medic school instead as long as you have the pre-requisite courses. You be glad you did in the end.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

Oh, and welcome to EMT City. :wink:

Welcome to the City.

In Maryland they no longer recognize I 85, and the I 99 is recognized as MD CRT (Cardiac Rescue Technician) They can perform almost all the ALS skills, except for Nasal Intubation, RSI, and a few things they have to call for vs. standing orders..

But as someone else suggested, why not just go full P, and that would give you a lot more options. I'm not 100% but I think VA also does not recognize I 85, but they do rec, I 99 for reciprocity.

Whatever you decide good luck,

From what I can tell, there is an excellent chance that you will not find a paramedic school to recognise your Intermediate training at all. It's just becoming rarer and rarer everyday to find a school that is set up for that disjointed continuum. Back in the 70's it was pretty common to progress from EMT to EMT-I to EMT-P, but not anymore. It's just not a good way to go, and the schools recognise that. Not to mention that it simply isn't cost effective to set up two completely different educational paths for the same ultimate goal. A school has to totally change the normal flow of educational objectives in order to accommodate Intermediate students, and then -- unless you were educated at that school for Intermediate -- they really have no way to validate what you already know. They can't just assume that you know the stuff you were supposed to have learned in I school, because then they are the ones that look stupid when you graduate their P programme with insufficient knowledge for competent practice. Consequently, unless you stay out in the really rural areas where volunteer whacker EMS is the norm, it's just hard to find the Intermediate level integrated into the paramedic educational process anymore. Then you're going to end up like all the other guys who come here whining about having to get "all that book learnin" over again when they already had it once. Of course, if it comes to that, take it like a man and just do it. None of us are so damn good that we can't use a review.

Are you a volunteer, or is this your profession? If this is your profession, then just forget the Intermediate nonsense. It is counterproductive to good education. You will literally learn less and learn harder by going that route. Get into a college programme and knock a complete paramedic education out in a single sitting. Everything flows together so much more completely and naturally that way, and there is a palpable difference in the quality of medic that is turned out.

Today, Intermediate is just a half-arse level for volunteers and hobbyists who don't have the time, money, or professional commitment to devote to being a quality medical provider. If that isn't you, then do yourself and the profession a favour and just skip it.

Best of luck in whatever you do!

Welcome to the City.

In Maryland they no longer recognize I 85, and the I 99 is recognized as MD CRT (Cardiac Rescue Technician) They can perform almost all the ALS skills, except for Nasal Intubation, RSI, and a few things they have to call for vs. standing orders..

But as someone else suggested, why not just go full P, and that would give you a lot more options. I'm not 100% but I think VA also does not recognize I 85, but they do rec, I 99 for reciprocity.

Whatever you decide good luck,

Virginia as far as I know is I99 as far as I know. I dont know any I85 in my area anyway we are all I99.

What I have seen is most schools offer basic and paramedic. The few that have B, I, and P, base the I on what ever makes it easier in time frame to continue to P. So if you show up already with an I from elsewhere to take the P you will probably end up redoing the I again regardless of which you followed. In an area like mine the only option is to move away to go P, or to stay and go up each step, B, I, then P.

So the real question is what you want to do? The best answer is to ask what is best for you based on where you are or where you want to go.

There has been alot of wisdom shared to you by the veteran members here. In my state, I99 is only recognized by very rural areas of SC. Otherwise, it's strictly 85. These level of certifications are in constant debate among commitee members of DHEC, who regulates EMS in SC. Myself, I elected to skip Intermediate after "testing the waters" as a basic in an EMS system for one year. It is, as has been stated a professional committment that you must be 100% sure of. And, do not subject yourself, or the profession to the constant political, and unprofessional grief of a volunteer station. This can cloud the overall picture of the profession. Good luck with your choices and your career.

In Indiana, we have EMT-B, EMT-BA, EMT-I, and EMT-P.

How those two in the middle relate to 85/99, I don't know.

I you want to "test the waters" get a job as an ER tech at a good hospital, you will learn more there then you would being an "I" anyway!.

Welcome!

Unfortunately, I must disagree. If you plan to work on the street, then you need to stay on the street, at least until you have obtained more EMS knowledge. I'm afraid there would be no way to be more efective in EMS, by feeling cozy in the er with a doc stuck up your arse to fall back on. This gives you absolutely no chance to achieve the aspect of critical thinking in the field. I respect those that work in the er that know what EMS is about, and what we do. However, there are some that have never seen the EMS side, and the only street experience they have is the drive to work, and back home after their 12hr shift. And, there are even some, that feel that EMS is their "whipping post", and should come running to their beckoning call. Well, sorry it doesn't work like that. I'm afraid you will be nothing more than the er's whipping post, running around doing trivial work to ease the RN's work load.

What you need is some more street time with seasoned medics, whom will take time to assist you in your career choice, and help you shed the "green" off. Once you have developed a good caregiver reputation within the ranks of good folks in the er, then you may want to consider picking up some OT in the er, where it's warm in the winter, and cool in the summer. You must earn their respect, prior to entering their world. Or else, you're nothing more than a gopher.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.