A Frustrating One

dahlio

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question...where in the US, can basics doe 3 leads or EKG's?
I thought it was a EMT-B skill to obtain a 12 lead, or 3 lead in this case, but they cannot interpret it as they haven't the proper education as yet?

In the state of Colorado (where I am) you can get your EKG cert. This means you can place a three lead on a patient and take a look at the strip, but not make any sort of differential diagnosis or treatment based on it. Basically you can get a rhythm strip for ALS going with this cert, and some of the really obvious stuff jumps out even at basics, like asystole or V fib, etc.

Now, I don't *think* they've changed that since the last time I looked. I remember a few community colleges offering the EKG class last semester, but hey, they just issued new protocols for all of us so I may be wrong.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

With our patient, I'd call him a stay and play with ALS so close by and do supportive care, reassurance, re-monitor vitals, etc. It's not going to really adversely affect your transport time, and while it looks like a simple concussion, something in the subject line makes me suspect something else like a CVA of some sort, or perhaps a medication or low blood sugar induced altered mental status. Since a paramedic can do a glucose stick and I can't in NJ, and the patient doesn't seem to be in critical condition, I think it's a valid call for stay and play while waiting for intercept.

Ok, now what did I miss?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I was talking to a trauma surgeon the other day as well as another physician(both teach ATLS) and they cited research that fully 50% of all crossover accidents are medically caused. Meaning, the person suffered some sort of medical problem(ie MI, syncope, diabetes etc etc) which caused them to cross the center median. The other 50% is caused either by stupidity or alcohol of which stupidity would qualify for the entire 2nd 50%.

Maybe 5% is caused by mechanical failure.

• 1 month later...

ok, so buddy is confused. post MVC. minimal damage. considering confusion, difficult to rule out c-spine, so:

approach, c-spine, standing take down. all-the-while talking, gathering history (what we can) etc. Hx: LOC? what happened? medications? allergies? PMHx?

primary survey, secure patient. primary should include stroke assessment

ALS so close, package and get prepped for ALS.

Reasess, VS (including BGL in canada). high flow O2, IV (rate dependant on BP, or saline lock), minimum 3 lead ECG, 12 lead in back of ALS unit.

He can't remember anything, and he keeps asking you what is going on. No meds/allergies from what you get from him. ALS gets a BGL of 104, nothing on 3 or 12 lead. There was damage in the car, yet most of which occurred on the front passenger side.

You play doctor, what could this be?