Painful Stimuli Limits?

pacman

Of course all of these things "work." The point is, when they work you run the risk of being pwn3d by a right hook. Especially since YOU KNOW that you are not using these methods for any medically legitimate purpose. And playing stupid in court isn't likely to get you any sympathy. Certainly not from me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my basic class (yeah, I'm all wet behind the ears, I know it. :( ) and we were instructed not to do sternum anymore to assess for responsiveness. Anyone else being told that? I found it interesting since that was my first response when asked how to assess for response to painful stimuli.

Yeah, we were taught that the sternal rub works fine, but pinching the nailbed with your thumb nail is less noticable and will have a like affect.

This whole story is just depressing in it's stupidity. I wonder what her success rate has been for beating an unresponsive patient into responsiveness?

Concussion, blurred vision, partial hearing loss? Sounds like the morning after my honeymoon...what's the problem?

interestign that no-one has mentioned supraorbital notch pressure as a painful stimulus and one that doesn't leave marks!

I kind of avoided mentioning this one.

It was hot outside, sweat on patient's brow, patient's brow not as prominent as I thought...applied a wee bit too much pressure and WHAMO...I slipped and gouged out his eyes. It wasn't a pretty sight ( no pun intended), and I dare say it did leave a slight mark.

So did it work did the patient wake up, and what a great tecknique so no way he could identify you in the court room too, I am picking up what your laying down.

Just helping out here it is MY job !

cheers bro

Honestly, I can't really feel most of the pain techniques our county allows us to do. Interdigital pressure works sometimes on me if they do it at just the right spot. Nailbed pressure hasn't really worked. Ear pinch works okay. It's the only above the neck one...

Sometimes the sternal rub doesn't work, but I have yet to encounter a patient faking unresponsiveness who did not react to an NPA. Before I use it, I tell them that I'm about to put a tube deep down their nose, and often that's enough to get them to respond.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.