HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO . . . .

WendyT

actually , if the person cannot get it in two times then I'm more apt to do it myself for them than let them try again especially if they caused a lot of pain.

I actually had to help a tech in a docs office find my vein. It was the size of a pencil but they couldn't hit it if their lives depended on it so I guided it in for them. (that was the needle you guys not anything else)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My motto is, if you cant get it the first time and you wont give me a butterfly needle when I request it, then go find the person who can get the job done.

Because I will get up and walk out and tell them what they can do with the form in a nice pleasant way, I'll take it back and go some place else

OR

I can say right up front I request the butterfly needle and if you deny me, I'm outta here. And knowing them they will always question why, and I'll remind them I dont like being pricked 5 times,they told me they arent allowed to do that, but you know what they did, they said dont tell anyone we did this because they said they could get in trouble.

Hi, Welcome to Canada, May we take your blood? (coat/hat).

I'm in school and we are just learning how to take blood and we were told as a rule that if a pt request a certain needle 9 times outa 10 its going to be a butterfly that you do what they ask....and if you stick and cant get it in the first 2 trys you go find someone else to stick them....use a different arm and watch the other person and see where they found the vein....and some places have this lil thingy that helps you find the vein...its like a lil ultravolet light thingy i forget the name of it..sorry...lobe manda O:)

[/font:15c8fdf9c9] I'm in school and we are just learning how to take blood and we were told as a rule that if a pt request a certain needle 9 times outa 10 its going to be a butterfly that you do what they ask....and if you stick and cant get it in the first 2 trys you go find someone else to stick them....use a different arm and watch the other person and see where they found the vein....and some places have this lil thingy that helps you find the vein...its like a lil ultravolet light thingy i forget the name of it..sorry...lobe manda O:)

It's a venoscope. Has it's uses but doesn't replace competency.

We are only allowed 2 attempts then have to contact Med control for permission for 2 more attempts.........Would anyone actually call? How embarrassing

"Hi this is EMT Butterfingers, I missed 2 IV's on this patient and I am wondering if you will give me permission to keep jamming needles in his arms till I run out of stock"

Jokes Jokes

Mobey

THis topic brought this question to mind...

*I did do a quick search for this question (wouldn't want to peeve anybody)*. .. so how many IV attempts are you allowed in the field? admin, you can move this question to another thread if you need too.

We have unlimited attempts if a line is needed. However, it is generally frowned upon to continuously attempt when the need for an I.V. is questionable. Very few instances is an I.V. more than a convenience..If an I.V. is truly needed, then an E.J., subclavian, I.J., or I.O. is acceptable...an unresponsive patient is preferred before an I.O. is attempted, although it is not requisite.... :shock: .

We have continuing ed available in one of three E.D.s or in one of the G.I. labs (everyone gets I.V.) if an individual feels their skills are waning...We also track I.V. success and attempts to possibly reveal weak links in the chain. Most skills are tracked in our company, although it is reliant on the providers honesty in charting the call on the run record. Med Control is almost never contacted for permission to initiate I.V. access. When they are, they usually deny it on the premise that the provider is not confident enough to make the decision. :? .Not much help in the venipuncture area online..

Per my standing orders, I try once on scene, if stable. Once en route and call for third attempts. When I first was working as a medic, I would really upset myself over a missed IV. Ecspecially when they really needed it shock, hypotension, hypoglycemia but as you go along you realize there are more important modalities sometimes. Airway, Breathing and to worry yourself can lead to second guessing, etc. To me the number one thing to do (my medical director agrees) is to turn a wheel. So many waste time on scene that counts. If you have an airway by simple maneuvers and got there in two minutes the doctor will not give you hell over an IV and if they do, tell them that you didn't want to waste time on scene when you could get the patient to definitive care.

To the original question:

What are our rights when it comes to blood tests when our veins wont co-operate?

Your "rights" are to not consent to any venipuncture where you feel it unnecessary. It could be viewed as blatantly arrogant or incompetent for the lab tech, phlebotomist, or nurse drawing the sample to insist otherwise. Some labs in my area dictate to their employees to "start" in a certain place. Usually the median cubital, cephalic, then basilic veins (in that order), in the antecubital fossa. I would be hard pressed to find a tech that wouldn't listen to a client and proceed where said client had informed them it would be difficult to cannulate or otherwise draw a blood sample. Especially if it is obviously a difficult draw.

In short, without your consent (informed consent), the procedure should not take place.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.