Jewish ambulance workers seek relief

pacman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crapola dustman. That was horrible. horrible horrible.

Are you done with your leave???

But I digress

if they are towed due to parking illegally then so be it. It's not a discrimination thing.

Plus I think the one so flagrantly supporting this organization has rose colored glasses.

I had an opportunity to work at several hospitals in NYC, New York Hospital Queens for one over a period of 18 months in 2001 and 2002. The medics that came in to the ER there as well as the ER staff members had nothing but negative things to say about Hatzollah(sic).

Jumping calls, verbal abuse on scene and just unprofessional behaviour.

One medic from FDNY said it best, "they think since they operate out of Israel and are jewish that the world owes them a favor" or something along that line.

It's all about respect. If they were belligerent at the scene where their unit was parked and it was parked illegally then damnit, ticket them and then tow it. They have to follow the same laws as everyone else.

As for blocking a fire hydrant, remember the scene in Backdraft where the mercedes or BMW was parked in front of the hydrant and the fireman broke the windows and passed the hose through it. If they park in front of a fire hydrant and theres a fire, then break the windows and pass the hose thru. At least the fire department will have a rehab crew on scene for them.

I have heard nothing good about this organization in my time at EMT city nor in my time in NYC. Maybe their usefulness is passed.

• 1 year later...

OK, people need to wake up and smell the coffee. I have been in the medical field for 20 years now and have been riding an as a EMT for years. As the person said from Hatzolah that the police think they discriminate and only service Jewish people. Remember who said that, that was a Hatzolah president or something. Ok this is where the thinking has to kick in. He is saying that is what the police think. I have been in the field for years and I can tell you the police know who picks up who and how much. So guess what, I would be pissed too.

You live off the community, but do you give back to it, No! The police have a good idea what is going on here and we should also. The Jewish people think that anyone that has something bad to say about them is anti-Semitic, well I disagree with that also> I judge people by their actions, if as a individual or as a group. Now by law they do not discriminate, of course they don’t, they cant. But what does that mean? Well it means that they do everything in their power to make sure that they really really service the Jewish community and try not to pick up non Jewish people. This is wrong and absolutely should be looked at by our government. For example the government should look at statistics. If Hatzolah services a community that has 50% Jewish people but they pick up 99% Jewish people then that would be a problem and maybe any tax exempt status should be revoked.

Imagine if as a medical professional if I was to go into a emergency and someone that is my nationality was passed out and I was to give this person better care then another person that I treated earlier that was not like me. Can you imagine, this is a sin and evil. OK as stated in the forum the ambulance was placed in an area that was near Jewish community even tho the town offered them a spot they refused. Why did they refuse? Because as it was stated they want to be by the people they want to serve. So right there that is discrimination. They didn’t want to ambulance to be in the other area as the rest of the towns ambulances because thy do not want to serve the whole of community.

I looked around and took this off a Hatzolah website. THis is the first quote:

It is true many have wrongly hesitated to go to the hospital, call a doctor, 911, or hatzolah, placing their child, spouse, parent, or neighbor in life-threatening danger. (Even some types of fractures can lead to internal bleeding — v’hamaivin yavin.)

On the other hand the sight of three or four (VAS or EMT) cars and one or more “buses” reaching the scene of a simple side-walk fall, where perhaps EMS has already arrived and where the patient is not even Jewish raises a number of issues.

Another person said:

How people use hatzolah as car services on shabbos. they call in that their wife is having a baby -EMERGENCY!- hatzolah comes rushing in on shabbos, and there they sit with their bags packed, and say ‘well her doctor is in xyz hospital and so we want to go there’. well, in that case, why didnt you call a non-Jewish car service which could have done the same thing instead of making a Jew do it?! i think people dont realize that #1 hatzolah guys are frum Jews who like to keeping shabbos just as you do, and #2 they also have a life, and if its not an emergency, dont call them!

I put this last one in I thought it was funny, The person is actually does not have a clue at all They want a Jewish person to waste the non Jewish persons time if it is o the Sabbath and if it is a meaningless call. OK, Ha instead of saying don’t call if it is meaningless call the non Jewish EMT they don’t have a Sabbath, go waste there time rather then saying just don’t call at all. Either way in the end the polce know the Jewish EMT’ know. The first person in the quote is in Hatzolah on a Hatzolah website which no one noteven one person responded and said we pick up all people. Not one! Imagine, way? Because they don’t want to help everyone but want all the benefits that the state provides.

Hatzolah is a special group of people. Just like any vollie group they have the good and the bad. People have to not put prejudice upon them just because they dress differently, keep to themselves, and only pick up people of their own religion. In the same way, Hatzolah needs to recognize that if you dress differently, keep to yourself, and only pick up people of a certain religion, some unenlightened people might maybe just get a low opinion about you. If you ever deal with Hatzolah, its best not to mention the Crown Heights riots around them if they are discussing discrimination.

Re emergency lights and sirens on private vehicles, that someone asked about?

Link:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/98-01.htm

Article:

Authorizing Red Lights and Sirens for Private Vehicles

POLICY STATEMENT No. 98-01

Date: 5/1/1998

New York State Department of Health Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

Introduction:

The purpose of this policy is to promote the safe and responsible use of red lights and sirens by EMTs in their private vehicles when authorized to do so by the ambulance service they are a member of or employed by.

Legal Basis for Use of Red Lights and Sirens in Private Vehicles

The New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, section 115-c states "An emergency ambulance service vehicle shall be defined as an appropriately equipped motor vehicle owned or operated by an ambulance service as defined in section three thousand one of the public health law and used for purposes of transporting emergency medical personnel and equipment to sick and injured persons.

The Attorney General has issued an informal opinion (dated May 4, 1995) interpreting this section of the law as follows: "I believe that the language 'owned or operated by' includes an appropriately equipped privately-owned vehicle operated by an agent of an ambulance service and used in transporting emergency medical personnel and equipment to sick and injured persons."

The Counsel to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles previously rendered an opinion that states, "An emergency medical technician, whether a paid employee or a volunteer, performing duties for an ambulance service may equip his private vehicle with red lights and sirens and may use these red lights and sirens, in accordance with the above quoted section 115-c, to arrive at the scene of an emergency faster."

Requirements of Authorization to Use:

1. Operating Criteria

If an ambulance service is going to allow EMTs to use red lights and sirens, the service shall establish policies establishing equipment requirements pursuant to section 800.26, identifying those EMT's who may use red lights, the training that those individuals must receive, the general circumstances and conditions when the use of red lights is appropriate and authorized and the sanctions that will be applied for the inappropriate use of red lights.

2. Training

It is recommended that in order to be authorized by an ambulance service to use red lights, an EMT should complete the New York State Department of Health's (Department) Ambulance Accident Prevention seminar (AAPS) or a Department approved equivalent prior to being authorized. A record of the completion of training shall be maintained by the service.

3. Authorization

An ambulance service shall issue written authorization, in the form of a serially numbered card provided by the department, to each EMT trained and authorized to use red lights in their personal vehicles when responding to an emergency. The authorization document shall be signed by both the Chief Executive Officer of the service and the EMT. A copy of the authorization card and/or a record of its being issued shall be maintained by the service.

The authorization shall expire on the expiration date of the individuals EMT certification. An ambulance service may impose a shorter authorization period (e.g. annual) and has the authority, without department approval, to remove the authorization for cause.

The authorization is considered invalid if the individual is no longer an active member or employee of the authorizing ambulance service, or is not currently certified by the New York State Department of Health as an Emergency Medical Technician or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician.

An ambulance service is not required to issue any authorization for use of red lights and sirens to a member or employee if the service feels it is not necessary for the operation of the service. The Commissioner of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles has stated in an opinion: "Because the law allows an emergency medical technician to use red flashing lights does not mean that an ambulance service has to allow it. Due to the fear of liability, or for other reasons, an ambulance service may prohibit some or all of its members from using red flashing lights."

4. Accountability

Both the ambulance service and the individual EMT are responsible for the appropriate use of red lights and sirens. The ambulance service is responsible to authorize, provide training, establish operating criteria, maintain training and authorization records, monitor compliance with service operational policies and take corrective action when necessary. The EMT using a red light and siren is accountable for operating any response vehicle in accordance with the policies of the ambulance service and the NYS Motor Vehicle and Traffic Law and all rules and regulations of the State of New York.

The inappropriate use of red lights and sirens and/or the unsafe operation of any emergency response vehicle can subject both the service and the EMT to significant liability and possible sanctions. These sanctions can include removal of authorization and/or administrative actions and fines against the individual and service. Services and individuals need to understand all of the issues involved with the indemnification of and liability in operating any emergency response vehicle. Service legal and insurance counsel should be consulted.

Also, inappropriate or unsafe use of red lights and sirens in violation of the NYS Motor Vehicle Law or any rules and regulations can result in the summary removal of an authorization card from the individual by police, as well as fines or violations in accordance with law.

Authorized & Issued by:

Edward G. Wronski,

Director, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

If they are parked illegally, and not on a call, then expect a ticket. Nothing anti-semitic or racial about that.

I think it would be great to have some Hatzolah EMS member here. I'm sure they could give us an insight into a whole new world, and not just in EMS.

• 4 months later...

A mention: Hatzoloh has it's INTERNATIONAL headquarters in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY.

Re the ticketing of an illegally parked vehicle: While it is from over 30 years ago, a community based Volunteer Ambulance Service, while on a CPR call, was ticketed for being parked in a bus stop, even though the emergency lights were running.

Different location and VAS, my own service got ticketed, on complaint of the merchant in front of whose business the VAS had an "Ambulance Only" parking zone. The ticket placed on the AMBULANCE was for the AMBULANCE being parked in an "AMBULANCE Only" zone!

Uh, officer, it seems to look, walk, smell, and quack like a duck, so it must be...an orangutan? Being silly, obviously.

Both tickets, incidentally, got quashed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.