Device for Cardiac Arrest Patients

iMac

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that York Region EMS uses them and I'm pretty sure Toronto EMS is as well since their CME for their FD First Responders includes posters reminding them to put it on. I assume that's all under ROC though; since just about everything else is in Ontario.

York EMS does not use the ITD. Toronto EMS does carry them but Fire does not.

We use the ResQPOD in our commercial urban system, if I remember correctly from the lecture I received on it the ResQPOD is the only class IIa CPR adjunct proven to improve survival rates... I haven't had a problem with them. If fact they are kinda handy, they have a red LED that flashes so whomever is bagging can bag when the light flashes and it reduces hyperventilation.

From the ResQPOD® Impedance Threshold Device website: http://www.advancedcirculatory.com/resqpod...ct_overview.htm

The ResQPOD is an impedance threshold device (ITD) that provides Perfusion on Demand (POD) by regulating pressures in the thorax during states of hypotension.

Animal and clinical studies* have shown that during CPR, the ResQPOD:

* Doubles blood flow to the heart

* Increases blood flow to the brain by 50%

* Doubles systolic blood pressure

* Increases survival rates

* Increases the likelihood of successful defibrillation

* Provides benefit in all arrest rhythms

* Circulates drugs more effectively

We use them too.

With the ET tubes now having the capnometry adapter as well as the res-q-pod, it can resemble a Christmas tree at times (complete with lights).

It will be interesting to see some concrete results of the ongoing trials regarding this device, but the chance of survival, post arrest, will still come down to early detection and defibrillation; res-q-pod or not.

It's my understanding that York Region EMS uses them and I'm pretty sure Toronto EMS is as well since their CME for their FD First Responders includes posters reminding them to put it on. I assume that's all under ROC though; since just about everything else is in Ontario.

Windsor-Essex is using the ITD (or a sham) as part of the ROC study.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.