Ambulance Driving Certification

Hi,

I just took a Wilderness First Responder class, enjoyed the medical training I received and am considering taking an EMT course this fall. I don't have a car and don't like driving, and do not relish the prospect of driving a 2 ton fully loaded ambulance. To be employed as an EMT do I have to be certified to drive an ambulance? Thanks a lot, you guys rock!

-Stiv

Driving seems like a major part of being an EMT, at least in my system. We don't have stations so we post all over town. Our crews are one basic and one paramedic so the paramedic doesn't drive much, but they are still required to take and pass EVOC, and keep a valid drivers license. You could work in an ER, or at a summer camp, and not have to drive I guess.

I was a very nervous driver at first, but my problem was confidence, I had just gotten okay with my medic skills and I was having to learn to drive a 2-ton ambulance. My problem worked itself out in time, the more I drove, the more confident I became.

Getting down to the root of your problem may help you decide. If you are nervous, then practice will help. If you just don't like it, then maybe you need to ask yourself if you would be willing to endure it while you work. We all have aspects of EMS that we don't like (mine is smelly feet, YUCK!), I guess you have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons.

I don't like driving either! :D I'm glad I work in a company that does not require me to drive an ambulance. I will however, have to drive (perhaps even frequently) at some point in my career as an EMT or Paramedic. I will because it is part of the job I have chosen.

You on the other hand may be just fine as long as someone else you work with is willing to drive. (a possibility) You say that you ". .do not relish the prospect of driving a two ton. . ambulance. ." Is this deal breaker for you? If I told you that you had to do it, would you give up on the idea of being an EMT? Or is it something that you don't want to do but could if given training/ experience? Just some things to think about. Let me know if you want to discuss this further.

in our service you have no choice

to join you must have a valid medium truck licence to be even considered

(and that is before you do any of your training)

if you don't have this licence ....no position

and all officers have to drive ( we normally take it day about)

i drive today you drive tomorrow type of thing.

stay safe

I don't like driving either! :D ne as long as someone else you work with is willing to drive. (a possibility) You say that you ". .do not relish the prospect of driving a two ton. . ambulance. ." Is this deal breaker for you? If I told you that you had to do it, would you give up on the idea of being an EMT? Or is it something that you don't want to do but could if given training/ experience?

I'd learn and overcome my fear in order to be an EMT. I'll consider it an opportunity to confront and overcome my only strong phobia. I'd be willing to drive sometimes but would prefer not to. But if it is something I have to do, I'll start practicing ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!!

I was 30 years old before i drove. I really wanted to be an EMT so I had to learn. I took my car license test twice before I passed then I had to immediately go on to do lessons for a minibus license which I passed first time. I was a very nervous driver but I struggled and now work as a Driver (in a medical field) now I absolutely love driving and find it a great form of relaxation. I hope to do my advanced course soon. There is no requirement EMT's to have any advanced training. If you are struggling with driving it does get better takes about a year though!

I'd learn and overcome my fear in order to be an EMT. I'll consider it an opportunity to confront and overcome my only strong phobia. I'd be willing to drive sometimes but would prefer not to. But if it is something I have to do, I'll start practicing ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!!

Your welcome, where are you from anyway? Country or state is as specific as you need to be, I am in Connecticut, USA.

In my volunteer agencies it is not required for anyone to drive, you simply do it if you wish.

I never wanted to drive being a volunteer, but when I became paid, I had no choice. They put me behind the wheel, and basically just wished me good luck. I was a nervous wreck at first, hated driving...now I love driving, and want to get my driver training expedited for the volunteer sector.

It's like a few have said, the more you drive, the more confident you become. Backing up the ambulance has given me trouble in the past, but it worked itself out....

Of course that was after i cracked a mirror....but i digress....

If you want to work in Tennessee you have to have an F endorsement (for hire) on your DL. Also, most services require you to take either Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC) or Certified Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (CEVO).