Ex-whackers: What's your story?

kristo

Whackerism  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• I am still a whacker
    • I used to be a whacker, but I'm not anymore
    • I skipped the whacker stage

I guess I had a little whacker in me but got over it pretty fast. I do have EMS plates but they are required by our service. I have no extra lights on my vehicle other than factory four way flashers which I have learned DOES NOT give me any special privileges. I wear my uniform when on duty and that's it as I would rather wear comfy clothes. I will say that this last week I have been a little more on the whacker side as I have been wearing very soft sweat pants instead of uniform pants. I am suffering from a severe sunburn that even my co-workers said would scare the begeebers out of a patient. Thankfully we haven't had any calls this week or some one may thing I have lepersy. Oh well, this too shall heal and then back to little ol' me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe my eyes,, Dust was/is a CLOSET WACKER??????????????????

Yep. :|

• Badge

FD ballcap

Kojak light

Siren

FD sticker on the back window

Scanners

Plano 747 trauma kit

Vollied with a VFD off duty

• At least I was relatively discreet with it all though. I didn't go around with the badge around my neck or on my belt. No lightbars, magnetic signs, stethoscopes hanging from the mirror or my neck, giant tool pouches on my hip (on or off duty), or whacker pates on my car.

I was a serious whacker. Maybe even a wanker. But I had my limits. :D

• 1 month later...

I have EMS plates on my car, but for practical reasons, they allow me to respond off duty if needed (we do an all page from our area if we get overly busy and there is a bad call any of us that are in the area are to respond to the station) and in order for us to be covered by department insurance in response we have to carry the plates. I also have a small LED which is dash that I keep in my glove box and only put out when I respond to an all page. That being said, my pager is small and very discreet which I keep on vibrate so it's not obvious. Also, I have my fair share of tee shirts which are worn at the farm as they were free from various fire schools. I keep a bag out there simply as if anything happens I am a good fifteen minutes of hard running response to get out there and well, you are dealing with thousand plus pound animals as I train horses and also teach students. I have a c-collar and things but BLS strictly. I don't keep any ALS stuff as I'm not going to be charged with practicing meds without a license. Gotta remember that people who keep ALS stuff.

I have EMS plates on my car, but for practical reasons, they allow me to respond off duty if needed (we do an all page from our area if we get overly busy and there is a bad call any of us that are in the area are to respond to the station) and in order for us to be covered by department insurance in response we have to carry the plates. I also have a small LED which is dash that I keep in my glove box and only put out when I respond to an all page. That being said, my pager is small and very discreet which I keep on vibrate so it's not obvious. Also, I have my fair share of tee shirts which are worn at the farm as they were free from various fire schools. I keep a bag out there simply as if anything happens I am a good fifteen minutes of hard running response to get out there and well, you are dealing with thousand plus pound animals as I train horses and also teach students. I have a c-collar and things but BLS strictly. I don't keep any ALS stuff as I'm not going to be charged with practicing meds without a license. Gotta remember that people who keep ALS stuff.

Whacker.

Don't worry though, I am a pot, and you are a kettle. :lol:

Hey, when you get into this stuff as a kid... you fall for the "cool" aspects. I'll 'fess up, I've been there. Fortunately, I've grown up a bit. Sum total of my whackerism...

Carried gloves in my wallet for the first 2 years of college

Told RA's I'd love to help with the vomiting drunks at 3am

Put star of life stickers on my binders and a star of life on my dorm door

Wore my venturing first responder uniform to my NREMT practical exams (to be honest, I did it for the psychological comfort zone... I was used to providing medical care in that outfit, just a navy blue T shirt with my crew's insignia and blue BDU's, and it put me in the right frame of mind, plus my notebook and all were exactly where I was used to having them on medical calls...)

Learned which crew was on duty by the way they operated the siren (in my defense, my dorm in MI was literally 3 blocks from an ambulance post, so I heard them ALL the time...)

Hmm... I own a kit, but it's BLS only, and it gets used at scouting events quite frequently, so I don't think that counts. No, it doesn't live in my car.

No lights or sirens... my fiancee has a base station in his land cruiser, but again, that was primarily used at the summer camp we worked at... Just so happens the guy we bought it from programmed it for us for a lot of local FD and sheriff channels, so we get to listen to a lot of what goes on around us. We don't self launch on calls though... because neither of us is with a department and that's really stupid.

He's skipping the whacker stage- lucky guy learned from my mistakes, lol. He's 3 weeks into his basic class and really enjoying it so far.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• 2 weeks later...

I probably qualify as a whacker.

My duty belt has a ton of stuff on it, but, I work in LE, EMT is secondary.

I have this cute little pin that says "E.M.T." above the nametag on my uni.

My Trauma and Airway bags ride in my POV, along with my trique bag from work, but only because they won't fit in my locker, and if I leave them on top of my locker, they'll walk.

I don't have any star of life stickers or any EMT T-shirts, but I have some LE T-shirts, and an LE sticker on my POV.

I don't have any extra lights on my POV, and to be honest, I didn't even know that was legal until I started reading EMT forums, lol.

I don't own any EMT series on DVD, but I do have two seasons of Miami Vice!

So despite all these "don'ts", I feel like I'd probably be labeled a whacker if I was full time EMS. I'm new and over-enthusiastic, and I like gadgets and nifty gear.

Anybody know of a support group? Whacker's anon maybe?

Hutch