Ex-whackers: What's your story?

kristo

Whackerism  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• I am still a whacker
    • I used to be a whacker, but I'm not anymore
    • I skipped the whacker stage

I would agree with the OP that at some point, most of us were whackers to some degree. I would surely not exclude myself from this, but I'd much rather focus on what changed it for me. I think the main thing was just realizing that EMS is a job (or profession sometimes). It's a job like any other. It's not a lifestyle, a hobby, a passion, or just a lot of fun. Yes, it may be an enjoyable job but it's still a job. The other thing that I realized is that often the most important part of that job (at least at the BLS level) is being able to take the patient to the hospital. You can be the greatest first responder in Ontario, but you still lack possibly the most important piece of equipment: the ambulance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a medical kit in my trunk and barf bags in my glove box. This stuff is for my kids, not for whacker patrol.

No lights, radios, bumper stickers, etc on the car. When I come home from work my EMS jacket gets hung up down in the basement (no way I'm wearing that germ infested thing off duty).

My father always felt it was important to keep a low profile and to never stand out. I guess I have him to thank for keeping me out of the whacker phase. Of course he would also argue with squirrels and often made ridiculous statements. During career day he told my entire class that he was the one who turned dogs and cats against one another. But I digress....

I had it all. Lights, radios, lights.....

I became an EMT when I was 17 so I went ape. Everyone in high school thought my EMT book was neat with all the pictures in it, so I fed off that.

A couple years later, I went to medic school. I think the big difference for me, was this was more professional of a career than being an EMT in that state. There is no such thing as a volunteer paramedic where I went to school.

Plus all the true whackers would piss me off to no end!! I hated it when they'd all show up on my duty night for the MVC. No one could help with the pt, because they were too busy listening to themselves on the radio. Then, those same ones would be no where to be found when the little old lady fell. And a few hours later, they'd show up at the next MVC. AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! That was my last day in a volunteer rescue squad.

During PCP (basic) school I wore the novelty shirts everyday, bumper stickers, small kit in my trunk, and a stethoscope hanging from rearview mirror.

I was in my practicum when my preceptor taught me what a whacker is and I threw all that crap away. Now you can't even tell when I'm on call outside the radio and pager on my hip.

I'm guessing I'm a whacker, I certainly carry a bunch of things on my belt.

I have a few(3) personal cell phones (helio [internet fool], sprint [old work phone that still has an employee plan], nextel [old work phone]) I know this makes me foolish to begin with, but i've grown accustom to it. When on the job, I also carry a work nextel, and the work pager, though when possible I ask my partner to carry those. Some of the girls don't want to carry them or whatever so I keep them on my belt. I also carry a bp cuff, steth, pen light in pockets for easy access.

Off the job I carry a pair of gloves and my certification in my wallet, but I will admit I've taken loose pieces of equipment here and there and made miniature first aid kits for my mom, dad and grandparents that my mom and dad keep in the car in case anything happens to my little brother, or in case anything happens to my grandparents.

after reading my post I think I've figured it out, in order to be a good whacker, you need a car. *shrugs* I'm an emt, I'm poor lol

5 phones that's a lot.

Maybe think about getting a phone that does everything instead of piecemealing it together like that I'm sure your belt would thank you.

I'm guessing I'm a whacker, I certainly carry a bunch of things on my belt.

I have a few(3) personal cell phones (helio [internet fool], sprint [old work phone that still has an employee plan], nextel [old work phone])

3 phones?

3 diffrent numbers?

21 years old?

No car?

[marq=right:8d67688e33]WHY?!?!?![/marq:8d67688e33]

3 phones?

3 diffrent numbers?

21 years old?

No car?

[marq=right:a209974ee9]WHY?!?!?![/marq:a209974ee9]

Heres something I never thought I would say, I agree with the dispatcher he finally got one right.

after reading my post I think I've figured it out, in order to be a good whacker, you need a car. *shrugs* I'm an emt, I'm poor lol

So...you're a walking wacker? Couldn't you pawn off a couple phones for a car payment?

When I was about 14 or 15 that must have been the prime of my whackerhood. But comeon how many 15 yo do you know that have a professional looking photo ID badge that has ambulance written on it or flashy new uniforms covered with the word ambulance or a walkie talky! It’s every kids dream, everyone at school was soooo jealous. I remember taking a fluro yellow reflective tabard that had ‘medical’ written on it to a party. Well it ended up being taken off me because everyone was fighting over it. Then they rang my Mum to come pick it up. I got in so much trouble lol.

Now everything stays in my room unless I’m on duty. I don’t even mention I’m in EMS unless someone asks. If I’m with my mates or at a party I get really embarrassed when someone gets hurt so most of the time I don’t even pay attention and hope nobody notices me.

Once I pushed the test button on my fire pager to make it look like we had a fire call to get out of Biology then walked up the street.

I have a massive whacker pack and just got a big resus bag (only had to pay for the reg) because my football club is to skint to buy proper medical gear or when I do a sport medical coverage by myself.

Apart from it being illegal in Australia to have lights in your POV I don’t think I would anyway. How embarrassing! Not to mention a major turn off for picking up chicks! ‘hey, look at my fully sick car, it has flashing lights. Do you wana hear my siren?’ And I don’t get my license till October.

So hopefully when I get into the real thing I’ll be whacker free!