Dealing with vomit, my personal nemesis!

Hey guys,

I've been working in EMS for awhile, and I have been lucky that I have not had many patients who have been vomiting, because I am a really bad sympathetic puker! I can handle all sorts of other nasty stuff that the human body can produce, but it's kind of bad when a patient starts puking, and I have to stand ther and tell myself "do not puke on the patient, do not puke on the patient!" Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with this particular nemisis and oh so fun part of our jobs?

Kevin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my best advice is to deal with it. And if you cannot then you should have either the small waste bucket ready for you to puke into or the area near the side door makes a very convenient receiving end for your vomit.

One piece of advice, if you do puke, DO NOT make your partner clean it up. You and others may say it's their job to clean the ambulance after a run but you puking into that area makes it your clean up job.

I really do wish you the best in overcoming this problem, i've never had it but I had a partner who did. If you just act like you are vomiting he would have to stop the ambulance and then he'd puke himself. It was kind of funny but I did feel sorry for him.

Puke is my downfall also. I try to chew gum on runs where someone is nauseated. Chewing gum helps the smell and I found giving my mouth something other than gagging works. I hold my head out the side window also...fresh air seems to help with nausea when dealing with a puker, plus they seem to like the fresh air also. I also tell patient's puking in the back of an ambulance is against the rules....believe it or not a lot of people will wait until they get to the ER to actually vomit!

A vomiting patient is awful! :puke: We keep a jar of Vicks in the truck. We can quickly and inconspicuously dab a little in each nostril. This helps by taking the stench away which stops a lot of he gagging you are doing. If you are one of those that puke just at the sight of someone else puking ask your partner to handle it and turn away. Be the gopher.

And here I was thinking "gee...am I the only medic who gets sick with the patients?"

Actually, I get carsick in the back seat...much less doing transports....Any advice on that one?

I keep a red bag in my pocket for such 'emergencies'

heheeh

tin man I found that getting scop patches worked wonders for me. Just dont' touch them and then your eyes.

I had no ill effects of the patches.

I started wearing them when I went to work for a service that covered the lake of the ozarks. Not abnormal to be 20 -30 minutes on a very very hilly and windy(sic) road. I got so sick the first time I had to drive for the rest of the day.

Ask you doctor.

Have a trash can or Bio Hazard bag availble at your side.....Unless you get a really sweet old lady that understands when you PUKE and offers you the place on the cot cause you are greener than they are :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

the worst is the homeless guy who hasn't had his shoes removed for over 5 months. I learned my lesson ONCE. There was no second occurrence.

I'll take a septic wound over the feet of the homeless person.

I can handle all sorts of other nasty stuff that the human body can produce...

I take it you have not had a patient with a perforated bowel yet. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.