A call to arms! EMT-B's defend yourself!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sassy emt,

While your post is admirable, comforting a pt. in the back of the ambulance isn't what we need. I can be sympathetic to my pt, but I can't comfort them. I have a job to do.

What you describe is better suited as a patient rep in the ED. You can console them all you want and rightfully so, in the ED AFTER ALS has transferred care to the ED nurse.

Now, I'm not as cold hearted as you might think or I wouldn't be in this racket. But while someone is coddling my pt. because they are crying, screaming etc., I'm trying to do an assessment of what really is going on and any interventions if needed.

JakeEMT,

I am not at all upset by what you said I think I didn't quite state things super clear though.....I want to be able to use those skills to calm the patient so that your assesment can go quickly and transport will not be delayed......not to hinder it.......I'm sorry I didn't clarify what I ment......

JakeEMT,

I am not at all upset by what you said I think I didn't quite state things super clear though.....I want to be able to use those skills to calm the patient so that your assesment can go quickly and transport will not be delayed......not to hinder it.......I'm sorry I didn't clarify what I ment......

Maybe.... it justifies you being on an ambulance. Thats a strech, because no one really knows personally what kind of provider you are.

But how does it justify EMT-B in general being on an ambulance?

first .....because there are more basics out here like me than people may realize

second... for those of us who love this field and want to advance how are we going to get the field experience and exposure befor going on to Medic training......

would you rather have a basic like me in the truck with you learining the everyday deails , having a good base to work from and then going onto get my medics knowing you were having a hand in training some of the best Medics in the field?

first .....because there are more basics out here like me than people may realize

So what is your point? Just because there are a lot of people with first aid cards out there doesn't mean that EMS needs to dumb down to give them jobs.

second... for those of us who love this field and want to advance how are we going to get the field experience and exposure befor going on to Medic training...

Who cares? Why should I or anybody else care what you do before paramedic school? It's irrelevant. You don't need it. You can get it during or after medic school. And if your school told you you need experience to be a good medic student, either they are lying to you or they are just clueless. Either way, it's a bad sign.

would you rather have a basic like me in the truck with you learining the everyday deails , having a good base to work from and then going onto get my medics knowing you were having a hand in training some of the best Medics in the field?

You're missing the point completely. I don't want ANY basic, no matter how "good" (we still haven't even defined what a "good" basic is yet) s/he thinks s/he is, on my ambulance. And the vast majority of the time, that time on the ambulance as a basic does not give you a "good base" to work from. It gives you bad habits and incorrect notions that are hard to break, making the paramedic instructors' jobs harder. A "good base" would be about two years of college education prerequisites. If you're really interested in being the best medic you can be, then you'll be working on those prerequisites to establish a "good base," instead of playing ambulance driver for minimum wage, or worse yet... for free.

You're missing the point completely. I don't want ANY basic, no matter how "good" (we still haven't even defined what a "good" basic is yet) s/he thinks s/he is, on my ambulance. And the vast majority of the time, that time on the ambulance as a basic does not give you a "good base" to work from. It gives you bad habits and incorrect notions that are hard to break, making the paramedic instructors' jobs harder. A "good base" would be about two years of college education prerequisites. If you're really interested in being the best medic you can be, then you'll be working on those prerequisites to establish a "good base," instead of playing ambulance driver for minimum wage, or worse yet... for free.

you know what i think is that you have missed the point due to the fact that you think the sun shines out ur ass. in south africa there are two ways on getting qualified, 3 yr diploma or three short courses, bls, ils and cca. the guys from the 3yr diploma come out with minimal experience and throw the book at you, but the guys doing the short course method have to obtain 1000 pt. hrs before the next course, this has meant that the quality produced has been far more superior than the diploma, because of the passionate paramedics doing the trainging, do actually care about what they do and how they do it. and arew willing to bestow there valuable experience on us lower qualified people. it shocks me to think that you have an attitude like this, (Content Removed - Admin)

instead you could give her credit for having the passion for life to do this job, and the fact of wanting to further herself in this field, we need more of her and(Content Removed - Admin)

so dusty when u coming to SA to get some real experience?

I wish there were more moderators on the board. The name calling is unacceptable.

Just because some one has the passion for the job, does not mean they have the ability.

A phrase we use around the station comes to mind "Well his heart is in the right place."

Passion does not make you a good provider. Education makes you a good provider. That is what we are striving for. We are not trying to eliminate the basic's position on earth. We are trying to further the profession. Bring the greatest care to the greatest amount of people.

As far as "experience" goes. Does a doctor have to work as a RN before med school? Does a police officer have to work as a security guard before the academy?

What about an accountant, are they required to start as a bank teller?

No.

Why should EMS be any different.

in south africa there are two ways on getting qualified, 3 yr diploma or three short courses, bls, ils and cca.

And this has what to do with anything we are talking about? Apparently, the ways of getting qualified in South Africa are as irrelevant to you as they are to the rest of us, since all you can do is make excuses for why you can't do them.

instead you could give her credit for having the passion for life to do this job, and the fact of wanting to further herself in this field, we need more of her and less arrogant arses like yourself!!!

Passion doesn't translate to practice. Every wanker I know is passionate about EMS. Passion is a good thing, but it is nothing unique. And until she actually acquires the educational foundation necessary to provide competent and professional medical care, passion and a dollar will buy her a cup of coffee.

so dusty when u coming to SA to get some real experience?

Apparently -- and not surprisingly -- you don't read so well, do you? Perhaps this is what keeps you from furthing your education? The "politics" of South African EMS is prejudiced against illiterates? You are not the only South African here. Luckily, we have some very intelligent and well respected SA medics here, so I know better than to think that you are typical of them. This is a good thing for the people of South Africa.

I wish there were more moderators on the board. The name calling is unacceptable.

Just because some one has the passion for the job, does not mean they have the ability.

A phrase we use around the station comes to mind "Well his heart is in the right place."

Passion does not make you a good provider. Education makes you a good provider. That is what we are striving for. We are not trying to eliminate the basic's position on earth. We are trying to further the profession. Bring the greatest care to the greatest amount of people.

As far as "experience" goes. Does a doctor have to work as a RN before med school? Does a police officer have to work as a security guard before the academy?

What about an accountant, are they required to start as a bank teller?

No.

Why should EMS be any different.

THE COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND PASSION = THE BEST EMTS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.