Oxygen rate for Chest Pain?

AnthonyM83

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah yes, i misused the english language once again...i shall burn in hell for eternity. what I meant to say was RECCOMENDATION. :?

Greetings Earthling!

Confucious says: You will have LOTS of company.

LMFAO...... nice comeback!

AZCEP : Yes I know your a Dean and all, Realistically we just about ALL adopt ACLS "guidelines" as wrote Protocol, this previso is a liability deferal for AHF...thats is all.

cheers

ps did someone moult in your oatmeal today?

I just wanted to illustrate the significant difference between the two.

Having providers following a "protocol" because that is how it is written is a mistake. Cookbook anyone?

Allowing them to follow a "guideline", or "recommendation" allows for more freedom in the decision making. I know it's a dangerous idea in some places to have providers thinking on their own, and may smack of heresy to many.

For this I apologize. :roll:

I just wanted to illustrate the significant difference between the two.

Having providers following a "protocol" because that is how it is written is a mistake. Cookbook anyone?

Allowing them to follow a "guideline", or "recommendation" allows for more freedom in the decision making. I know it's a dangerous idea in some places to have providers thinking on their own, and may smack of heresy to many.

For this I apologize. :roll:

AZCEP : Oh I hear you absolutely, thank gawd that I can use a bit of spice in my cookbook !

But you know that "Heresy" is a "Burned at the Stake Type Offence... wait a second thats the very old guidelines.

No apologie required that was just MY ideological evil twin speaking... sugar in the oatmeal is a good thing.

:shock: ;)

Straight up...Your scaring me man, just because one "can" shoot a tube doesn'tt mean that blanket statement "get a tube" have you been following the CPAP vs PEEP thread...maybe you should?

Now first off you identify yourself as a PCP...is ETT even an option for you out there in Ontario... cause it aint here and over my dead body will that happen, without drugs to keep a tube in, one is not doing the best thing for the patient. AND when a tube goes in then it must come out, Ventilator aquired nosocomial infections, excessive costs +++ look at the intubated patients "discharge to door" vs non-intubated patients...hmmmm, i need say no more. The mark of an good Paramedic is do no harm first..!

I don't know how I could have put more sarcasm into my post if I wanted to ;)

Hmmm.

I was told that per the New York State protocols, initially go NRB @ 15 LPM, then told that the medical director of the FDNY EMS wants us to do likewise.

Until my higher medical authorities tell me otherwise, that be what I is gonna do!

In your local areas, if you have different protocols, obviously, that be what youse guys are gonna do.

I see no problem.

That is a problem everywhere, not just in your area.

Providers are not supposed to think about what they are doing, and if it is going to have a benefit or any therapeutic value. The use of high flow oxygen needs to be tempered with the anticipated risks and benefits you are looking for.

It may be a good time to discuss changing this protocol with your medical direction. More and more evidence is showing that high flow oxygen is not helping as much as we used to think.

Having providers and instructors buy into the dogma without critically thinking about the situation is just a part of the problem.

Hopefully steph1030, you will be introduced to the critical thinking process as part of your paramedic education. There is no good reason to allow this short sightedness to continue. You are the provider(s) in the street. You have the ability to think about the situation that your protocols are trying in vain to cover.

Take a second and apply what you know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.