Oxygen rate for Chest Pain?

AnthonyM83

Straight up, dude.... admit it. You just made that word up, didn't you! :lol:

Hey, when something works for me, I stick with it! :D

And I don't know what you're talking about with this "old" stuff. I'm still in my second adolescence! :wink:

Dust WTF you talking about?

Just got in under the wire... lol.

Here is where I got the Definition..... the New Unabridged Kanukistanian Dictionary, don't you have a copy ?

ps Yes dust we all revert to our childhood when we "get on" in our golden years.

ouch !

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I only mentioned my mantra of following your local protocols as mine may be different than yours. My NY State and/or New York City protocols probably have differentiations with that of another BLS provider in Grand Forks North Dakota, Eugene Oregon, Edmonton Canada, Chichen Itza Mexico, Bonn Germany, and insert the city, state/provence, or country of your choice.

2) I am not a medical researcher. If my agency, the FDNY EMS, gets involved in a medical study, then I am involved, but won't be told results until my higher medical authorities advise me of a protocol change, which will then become my bible for treatment.

3) When I googled the word "redigadism", google had nothing for me. If this word is not from the English language, well, then I have no knowledge of it, but might take chances with someone else's language. Also, the spell check didn't have a clue when I checked this, prior to posting.

The wave of the future=Evidence Based Practice..Something EMS has evaded for decades in the states. Your just going to have to get used to it and institute change where needed. Sometimes this means not blindly following questionable treatment modalities..EBS, learn it, live it

Doesn't everybody have New Unabridged Kanukistanian Dictionary in their repetoire?????

-steve

The cc means whatever you want it to mean, I'm flexible:lol:

Yeah, I think the original topic is done here, we should start one that asks..."will blindly following our protocols, even though there is compelling evidence to the contrary,protect us from litigation and a finding of negligence when we croak our patient??" I believe the answer to that humble question would be a resounding NO!

CYA would be researching your treatments and insuring they are adequate and within the current standards of care instead of blindly following the other lemmings..

-steve

So what if the Lawyer...@#%$&#@!

Sided with the newest reasearch, AND the expert witness MD +++++ that said you GAVe too much O2?

I'm not supporting giving too much O2, but as far as this specific issue, you're not worried about what the lawyer sides with. Whoever is suing you will find a lawyer that sides opposite of you. It's the jury you're most likely going to need to convince. Deviating from protocols is against state law in CA, so IF it came down to it, you might be moving the liabiity from the EMS/health office (who created protocols) to yourself (b/c you freelanced without permission).

Deviating from protocols is against state law in CA, so IF it came down to it, you might be moving the liabiity from the EMS/health office (who created protocols) to yourself (b/c you freelanced without permission).

And this is something one need consider before taking a job in the first place. Are you taking a job as a practitioner, or as a cookbook monkey? Do your "protocols" tell you, step by step, exactly what to do and how to do it, in response to specific criteria? If so, then I absolutely agree that this is what you better be doing. It's your agency that sucks, not necessarily you as a provider. But anybody with any confidence, pride, and professionalism would never work under such circumstances to begin with. You can bet that this is something I research before I even send a resume. When I left FD work, I left painting by the numbers behind forever, and I don't intend to go back.

Yes, it is certainly easier and safer to perform techincal tasks according to a checklist. You don't have to worry about mistakes or having to ever explain your actions. You can just sit back and blame it all on "following orders" like the Nazis did. And hey, if that's what anybody want's to do, you're welcome to it, as there are plenty of places who want you to do just that. But don't kid yourself -- or think you're fooling anybody else -- by calling that a professional medical career. It is not. If you are going to be a practising medical professional, you're going to have to step out on your own and learn to think for yourself to provide the best possible care for your patients. You're going to have to take personal responsibility for the decisions you make and the care you provide, and not leave it up to "the protocols" to think for you. Yep... that is scary and stressful, and one hell of a lot of responsibility. But if you are doing anything less, then you are not a medical professional.

DISCLAIMER: The word "you" is not addressed at Anthony or anyone else in particular, and is used in the generic sense.

OK, I am not a researcher. If a researcher wants to use data I normally generate from a response, fine and good. If my On Line Medical Control Physician tells me to use a different protocol for an AUTHORIZED test, I will follow the different protocol, noting on all appropriate paperwork that I am doing so, and why, along with whatever results I do or do not achieve.

Cookie cutter? Perhaps. I am not in any position to go outside existing protocols without it biting me in the ass, but, as I have stated in other postings on this string, when the APPROVED ALTERNATE protocol is taught me, and I am advised to use it fulltime, let us say, I then have a new cookie cutter.

Now, would someone advise me what is Godwin's Law?

OK, I am not a researcher. If a researcher wants to use data I normally generate from a response, fine and good. If my On Line Medical Control Physician tells me to use a different protocol for an AUTHORIZED test, I will follow the different protocol, noting on all appropriate paperwork that I am doing so, and why, along with whatever results I do or do not achieve.

Cookie cutter? Perhaps. I am not in any position to go outside existing protocols without it biting me in the ass, but, as I have stated in other postings on this string, when the APPROVED ALTERNATE protocol is taught me, and I am advised to use it fulltime, let us say, I then have a new cookie cutter.

Now, would someone advise me what is Godwin's Law?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.