So tell me what it's really like...

Emmy

My honest opinion? Become an RN and don't waste a degree. There is no where to go in the Paramedic field. You are a paramedic or you are an administrator. That's about all you can be with a degree in Paramedic Science. If you really want to, alot of hospitals will accept RN's as Paramedics and let them go into the field. Usually accompanied by only an EMT-B certification. Plus when you have your nursing degree you can get a job doing pretty much anything. If you want to specialize in a certain type of care or be an ER nurse or even work in the trauma section. On top of that if you want to expand your education you can become a BSN or MSN. Not to mention the pay scale is alot better when you are a nurse compared to a paramedic. I'm probably going to get heat for saying this, but it's the truth.

On the plus side. It really is a fun job with alot of action that will keep you entertained for years to come. The pay isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I would suggest something along the lines of an EMT-B certification first and see if you really like it. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Good luck.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My honest opinion? Become an RN and don't waste a degree. There is no where to go in the Paramedic field.

Yep, thats where i went wrong :?

I'm probably going to get heat for saying this, but it's the truth.

Yes, you are going to get heat and a 10 point deduction for failing to read the previous posts, including the original post.

No, it is NOT the truth, because she is not in the U.S. Therefore, nothing you just said has any relevancy whatsoever to her.

But thanks for playing.

Yes, you are going to get heat and a 10 point deduction for failing to read the previous posts, including the original post.

No, it is NOT the truth, because she is not in the U.S. Therefore, nothing you just said has any relevancy whatsoever to her.

But thanks for playing.

only a 10 point deduction Dust? I would have thought more.

Oh well

But thanks for playing.

Come on, Dust. Blue is in NJ. That's gotta be worth, by itself, at least another 20 point deduction on top of the 10 you've already taken.

Emmy,

You've received some well thought out and presented advice here. If you have more questions regarding the profession, please don't hesitate to ask.

If it'll help we can always talk to your parents for you, too. ;)

Good luck to you!

-be safe

Blue is in NJ. That's gotta be worth, by itself, at least another 20 point deduction on top of the 10 you've already taken.

Hehe... I would normally agree. ;)

I didn't want to get too carried away though, because really, his advice would have been right on the money had Emmy been American.

Emmy,

First I want to applaud you for what seems to be a good head on your shoulders. I like the fact that at 16 you're looking towards your future and making plans. With that being said, I would make a couple of suggestions. Maybe try doing some volunteering in the local hospital or nursing home. If you can handle that and enjoy it then check into doing some ride alongs with a local ambulance service. I'm not sure what the protocols are in the UK for ride alongs, I know in my area you have to be at least eighteen. Exposing yourself to some of what EMS is about may help you make a more educated decision.

Remember, education is the key regardless of what you decide on for a career.

To reflect on the others' comments... 'Tis a noble profession indeed. Keep learning, keep your head on straight, learn to relate to humans of all walks of life to combat the seemingly inevitable burn-out/jadedness (made that word up), and always keep some friends from outside your profession to keep you level headed. Also try not to have a relationship with someone in your own field, it tends to muck up the relationship waters.

Aside from all these things that will help you, if there is one piece of advice I can give you, it is to make sure that you respect your body. The human body is not built to accomplish many of the physical tasks set upon you as an EMS professional. It is hard, and if you don't treat yourself appropriately, you will pay for it. Trust me, I've messed up, and it sometimes takes me 20 minutes of stretching in the morning just to make it to my truck (and I'm only 29!).

Luckily technology is coming up with new ways to make life a bit physically bearable... hydraulic stretchers, redesigned stair chairs, and ergonomic seating are steps in the right direction, but that can also be a double-edged sword. If you are not used to lifting and moving things, when you have to, you are more prone to hurt yourself.

Good luck, Overall I've enjoyed my career so far. I hope you do as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.