So tell me what it's really like...

Emmy

I'm 16 year old sixth form student and am seriously considering getting a degree in Paramedic Science when I leave school. I've done a lot of research, on this site and others, and really do think that this is what I want. I've always wanted to work in a caring profession, it's just been a case of narrowing it down. My parents disagree right now and keep asking why I don't want to 'do a better job'. :roll:

Anyway, to cut to the point, I wanted to ask exactly what it is like training to be and working as a paramedic. What are the pros and cons? What do you dislike most about your job? What do you like most? What is the training like? What advice would you give someone in my position? Please be completely honest; I don't want anything sugar-coated, though from what I've seen of this forum, I don't expect it. Which is good. :D

Thanks in advance.

Honey you go for it! Don't worry the rest just go for it and if your not cut out for it then at least you will look back on it and say-- hey I tried. Our lives are full and complete when we put our best foot forward and TRY. I have put my hand out to a few different things I thought I wanted to do... but I found it wasn't for me. I look back at it and I see that I am satisfied knowing I TRIED....... and I don't look at it as a failure I look at it as an adventure.... Sure my outlook is a bit different....... LOL I might be a little different but HEY my life is full and I am content and I promise you I don't live a boreing moment!!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please save yourself from a really bad decision. Go to nursing school or med school If you choose nursing do what it takes to become an ER or critical care nurse then get your CRNA and make a decent living. I'll concede to Dust that at least you are in the UK, but in the US we are less than pond scum. You may also want to take a look into sonography. If sonography interests you please follow a course that educate you in cardiovascular and OB sonography

Well, you don't have to make the decision anytime soon. In my opinion, your educational path whether you decide to pursue an EMS career or another health or helping profession should be pretty similar.

Do well in HS, get a 4 or 5 year liberal arts degree at a university (I forget if college is a 4-year thing over there, too), take the basic sciences, some social sciences, English/Writing classes, etc etc. Toward the end of college, you'll have a better idea of what you want to be doing...applying to med school, nursing school, paramedic school, other grad school or some other job right after college.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.