100 percent O2 not best treatment anymore....

I thought it was Ventura Blvd?

There's a freeway,

running though the valley.

Move west down Ventura Blvd.

----Tom Petty, Free Falling

The song was Ventura Highway by America

Chewing on a piece of grass

Walking down the road

Tell me, how long you gonna stay here, joe?

Some people say this town dont look good in snow

You dont care, I know

Ventura highway in the sunshine

Where the days are longer

The nights are stronger than moonshine

Youre gonna go I know

cause the free wind is blowin through your hair

And the days surround your daylight there

Seasons crying no despair

Alligator lizards in the air, in the air

Did di di di dit ...

Wishin on a falling star

Waitin for the early train

Sorry boy, but Ive been hit by purple rain

Aw, come on, joe, you can always

Change your name

Thanks a lot, son, just the same

Ventura highway in the sunshine

Where the days are longer

The nights are stronger than moonshine

Youre gonna go I know

cause the free wind is blowin through your hair

And the days surround your daylight there

Seasons crying no despair

Alligator lizards in the air, in the air

Did di di di dit ...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And medical care does not begin until arrival of medics.

I'm not at all unaware of your distaste for the BLS level of care, but this is one I haven't seen from you before Dust. If BLS is not medical care, then what is CPR, ventilation, 02, bleeding control......?

Even knocking Basics down in terms of scope, I fail to see how what's left isn't still medical in nature.

If BLS is not medical care, then what is CPR, ventilation, 02, bleeding control......?

First aid. Any layman with a couple of hours training can do it.

And that's what an EMT is.

First aid. Any layman with a couple of hours training can do it.

And that's what an EMT is.

There is more to BLS than that.

Sure EMT-B is equivalent to "couple hours of training" and any layman can do it? I don't quite see how you think. :?: Sometimes I wonder if you just type it before it processes. Maybe EMT-B training when you were younger was equivalent to couple hours of training, but dust it arn't today. My classes were 3 hours two days a week for a semester. I am not saying that is a lot, but it sure arn't a couple hours. It is still medical care rather it is done by a boy scout, an EMT-B, Paramedic, Nurse, or Doc. The difference is the level of medical care.

EMT basics receive approximately 120 hours of instruction, including clinicals if required.

This is not a basis for a discussion of medical treatments. Calling an EMT a medical provider is akin to saying a dishwasher is a chef. Both are important to the final product, but they are a long way from producing it.

EMT basics receive approximately 120 hours of instruction, including clinicals if required.

This is not a basis for a discussion of medical treatments. Calling an EMT a medical provider is akin to saying a dishwasher is a chef. Both are important to the final product, but they are a long way from producing it.

So EMT-B are not medical providers????? :?: :?: :?: We are not trained to provided professional care?

Exactly. Professional caregivers are educated, not trained.

When all most of them can tell me of oxygen therapy is that everybody either gets 6 or 15 litres per minute, can you really expect me to be impressed with their "medical" sophistication? That is not education. That is just training. And pretty poor training, at that.

And it's only been a year and a half since I last sat through an entire EMT course, so I am not ignorant to what they are like these days. You yourself just told us how few hours were involved in yours.

Whew!.. One more time, to explain the difference between training and education models. Sorry, they are right Basic EMT is a training program just above or equal to the American Red Cross Advanced First-Aid course. Don't believe me? ... Then compare it. One goes to a class a few nights a week or better yet for a week or two and read from a textbook written at a 6'th grade level.. sorry, your part of the system but not considered at a professional status. The same as a nurse aide is compared to in nursing.

No in-depth of teaching of differential and treatments are made in the basic level for a reason and purpose. Rather a cookbook style to prevent confusion and liability to go above that level.

R/r 911

Yes we do lack much education in the standards of the EMT-B training. My point is not that. My point is that we are still part of the EMS team. To throw us to the side saying that we are not part of the team because we are not a professional status or for whatever reason, is rude. It works against the overall teamwork that is needed in the EMS system.

I can respect the idea that we are not seen as "a professional status." I did not expect to take one class in be a professional, and I don't believe I ever said me in general was. That is something that you need to earn, and that I plan on earning through getting my paramedic and beyond in the years to come.

Training comes from your classes.

If you want to be educated, then you have to seek that on your own. That is the truth with any EMT. And from what I hear on the boards, many medic schools as well.

There is nothing saying you as an EMT B can not educate yourself. Learn the reasons for doing what you do and applying it within your scope. There is nothing in the world keeping you from attending medic school. If you want to do it bad enough you would find a way.

The EMT-B is like air conditioning. They are nice to have, but not required.

It seems like everything gets O2 anymore. Hip pain? O2! Lacerated finger? O2!

It would be nice to see more studies on high flow O2 and see whats going on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.