100 percent O2 not best treatment anymore....

Hey Jake wasn't venturi mentioned in a popular song a while back. I can't remember the name but I think some of the lyrics were "Venturi Highway blah blah blah blah" not sure who wrote that song though. (oK OK OK horrible attempt at humor but I heard that song about an hour ago. Its still in my head)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jake wasn't venturi mentioned in a popular song a while back. I can't remember the name but I think some of the lyrics were "Venturi Highway blah blah blah blah" not sure who wrote that song though. (oK OK OK horrible attempt at humor but I heard that song about an hour ago. Its still in my head)
As Ed McMahon would say, " you are correct sir!". :| I believe it was America that performed it.

I'd be curious to see similar studies using NRBs at different rates. Since you exhale into the NRBs and your entire exhale isn't dissipated through the little holes in the mask, it seems even at 15LPM NRB you still have CO2 mixed in.

Also, patients who are more likely to receive high flow oxygen in the field are those with breathing difficulties, so while they might be breathing in high purity O2, not that much O2 might actually be entering their bodies from the lungs.

I'd like to see maybe a dozen more studies on this topic, each replicated by other institutions.

Actually, it was Ventura Highway.

But this could just be my lack of a sense of humour coming through. :|

-be safe

I thought it was Ventura Blvd?

There's a freeway,

running though the valley.

Move west down Ventura Blvd.

----Tom Petty, Free Falling

Is that allowed here? :shock:

I love this article! It gives us an excuse to take one more drug away from EMT-Bs! :|

I know you'll probably blow up as usual, but whatever. Why is it you say we need to work together as a team, then make statements such as this? I'm confused about this. :roll:

Wow, monster thread hijack.

Back to the topic. I've got a few problems with this article. I would suggest that before this distinguished professor of neurobiology start recommending any more treatment regimens, he obtain an MD and actually see a patient.

So, reviewing the quality of evidence here:

1) It's small. Tiny, in fact.

2) Tight age range. From data on 8-15 year olds, he wants to recommend global change in practice? We've universally recognized great differences in neurobiology between children under the age of 12 and adults in the ability for neuro tissue to regenerate. There are undoubtedly myriad differences that we haven't even mapped yet.

3) Healthy children, not sick adults or infants. See #2.

4) Imaging study. No attempt whatsoever is made to identify actual correlation to any function or outcome, whether neurological, cardiac, etc. Just because it's on the MRI doesn't mean it matters.

5) 5% carbon dioxide? So 10 times the normal partial pressure of CO2?

6) They do the study with 5% CO2, but recommend resuscitating with room air. That's not what they studied.

7) They only breathe the O2 or the mix for 2 minutes. I could hold my breath for that long, but it doesn't mean I should do it for a 30 minute ambulance ride (then again, there are some people who might suggest it to me). Nor does it mean that the physiological changes I undergo in that 2 minutes will have any lasting effect. WTF were they trying to prove here?

I see this study making no dent whatsoever in practice. I'm not saying that there is no merit in challenging the status quo, but this study is not helpful in any way. Back to the bench, lab rats.

'zilla

I know you'll probably blow up as usual, but whatever. Why is it you say we need to work together as a team, then make statements such as this? I'm confused about this. :roll:

You must be mistaking me for somebody else.

I have never recommended that EMT-Bs be part of the team.

But yeah, I agree with Zilla regarding the misleading and sensationalistic tone (previously referred to as hyperbole) of this article, which tries to make across-the-board generalisations based upon old, re-discovered facts. I would agree that this is certainly something to be followed up upon in greater detail. But it's way too early to start tossing out the baby with the bath water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.