KED vs. Short Spine Board

Which do you prefer?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• KED
    • Short Spine Board

Just wanted to know some advantages, and disadvantages of using the KED and the Short Board. Which do you prefer and why? I know in the squad I run with, we don't even carry short spine boards, just the KED. Is one easier to put on a long board? All comments are appreciated.

P.S. I apologize if this is a repeat discussion, but I did run a search on this topic, and couldn't find anything

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short spine board.... Geez, I have not seen one of those ins about 14 years. I did not know they even made them anymore, I know I have no seen them sold anywhere. I used SSB and they were a pain in the arse and was a piece of crap. KED and other similar extrication devices are much simpler to use.

R/r 911

I can't really say that much about ssb's because I haven't ever used one in the field. I have only been in EMS a couple of years and I don't even think that they tought us how to use one in EMT-B class. I have never worked with a service that actually used them either, they weren't even on the trucks. From what I have heard about them by the oldtimers, they are a lot more complicated to use and are just a pain in general. I have never heard anyone say anything good about them. You also have to wonder why they were phased out. I am guessing it was because the KED was a superior tool.

Back in the early 1970's, when there were still a lot of cars around that had straight back bench seats (and Kendrick had not yet invented the KED), the short spine board was relatively useful. However, I must say "relatively," in that we were not yet really into c-spine precautions then yet, so the SSB didn't get used a whole lot, except on the really gnarly wrecks and babies. The rest of the time, we just put a foam whiplash collar on them and let them walk to the ambulance. Good times! :lol:

Anyhow, while there was indeed once a place for the SSB in our arsenal, that time has long ago passed. Seats are contoured these days, as are the bodies we are applying the device to. Consequently, a rigid, flat SSB is worse than useless. It's complicated and dangerous, although they still haven't figured that out in many parts of the US, including Louisiana.

There really is no comparison. The KED is by far the easier and preferred device. Any comparison is like comparing muzzle loading muskets to Kalashnikovs. They share a common purpose, but one is a functional, state-of-the-art device, while the other is simply a museum piece.

We are required to carry either 2 KED or 1 KED & 1 SSB. Since 2 KEDs don't make sence we do have 1 SSB. I would only use it if someone coded on my stretcher to add rigidity for compressions. But I don't think it would come out under any other circumstances.

Since 2 KEDs don't make sence...

Why would that not make sense?

Are all of your MVAs single car, single occupant collisions?

And does it really "make sence" to be out-of-service until you get your one KED back from the ER?

:?

Why would that not make sense?

Are all of your MVAs single car, single occupant collisions?

And does it really "make sence" to be out-of-service until you get your one KED back from the ER?

:?

Interesting...I've never realized if we had two KED's in our ambulances. Usually when we have two patients, one is always out of the car already. :) Anyway, we were going through old equipment, and came across an old wooden short spine board, which is why I brought up the subject. Thanks for all your responses so far.

I used a short spine board in my EMT class, during the "gaining access/vehicle extrication" portion. That was the first and last time that I used a short board, in an emergency. I used it to prop up a portion of a bariatric patient whom was larger than the cot, however. According to the regional director, in Pennsylvania anyway, you can substitute a KED for a short board on the Required Equipment List. That's what we do, easier to clean vinyl, doesn't stain or absorb blood as easily as the wooden board. I see them as more of an infection control concern.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.