Scene Safety

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL doors locked at ALL times. Period. No exceptions. No excuses.

If I could guarantee that the doors on most of our trucks would lock AND unlock, I'd be happy to. With 300,000 miles on several units and close to that on half a dozen more, I've learned the hard way that it isn't always a given.

We also don't have two sets of keys with us, so leaving the truck locked but running is impossible.

There are devices available that allow a crew to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle. It allows the crew to remove the key. As most vehicles, including ambulances, need one to step on the brake pedal to allow the gearshift to leave park for any other gear, the device will kill the engine if the key has not been returned to the ignition lock and put back to the "run" position.

I do not know what brand of this device the FDNY EMS is using, and I also do not know if such device, or devices, can be retrofitted to older vehicles.

For more info, start Googling.

There are devices available that allow a crew to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle.

If the company is running 300k mile trucks, what makes you think they have any interest in spending money on things like that?

LOL!

Some things never change.

Our trucks may have sucked in the 70's, but at least there was no such thing as an old ambulance then! :)

There are devices available that allow a crew to leave the engine running while away from the vehicle. It allows the crew to remove the key. As most vehicles, including ambulances, need one to step on the brake pedal to allow the gearshift to leave park for any other gear, the device will kill the engine if the key has not been returned to the ignition lock and put back to the "run" position.

I do not know what brand of this device the FDNY EMS is using, and I also do not know if such device, or devices, can be retrofitted to older vehicles.

For more info, start Googling.

It's called a Kussmaul device. SIUH and LMC in NYC have them, and we use them in Newark. Prevented 2 skells from breaking into my bus Saturday night.

There are courses designed to teach "protective interventions". These "theraputic interventions" do not involve physically striking a patient or causing pain from pressure points. It focuses on blocks, theraputic holds, and releases. This type of training is usually taught in psych hospitals. It is very effective in that setting. Rarely have I had to use this type of training. I agree with some of the earlier comments. Use your brain. Don't get yourself into sticky situations. The most valuable technique I've learned, is how to de-esculate a situation. If a patient or bystander were to attack me, I'd use whatever means available to protect myself.

Shayne

• 2 weeks later...

8) Hello all,

New writer, old provider. The best approach is "The [s:183c19fef0]Cowards[/s:183c19fef0] scouts approach" It is safer to run, to run another day.

I started medicine, as a Combat Medic (91A), assigned to a scout platoon. although we had the ability to call the wrath of GOD down on our enemy, if found we would surely lose. When I moved to urban EMS I quickly learned that the most precious tool I have in a volatile situation is my mind. I can usually talk myself in or out of any situation. knowing that if it's getting sideways in the bus, I just need to buy time, while my partner calls for the calvary.

My humble suggestion is not to look for the reactive solutions to this problem, but a proactive solution like conflict resolution, or crisis intervention training.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.