Professional Organizations and Professional Development

In EMT/Medic school we were taught about EMS & related organizations  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• Never discussed
    • Discussed, just what was required & covered in the text, pros and cons
    • Detailed discussion with representatives, hand-outs, encouraged to participate, etc

Okay, after reading several of the posts recently I wonder how much is being taught about workings, involvement and the general profession other than patient care. Other than the initial chapter of professional development, how much discussion is made about such organizations, the general requirements, and information of programs. such as PHTLS, ACLS, PALS, etc?

I know in nursing school they drive and push joining and being involved in professional organizations as well as the need of supporting such. As well it is each persons responsibility to support by working and financially supporting them.

Did you discuss the advantages and disadvantages of organizations such as NREMT, NAEMT, state and local EMT associations, labor unions, related organizations such as American Heart Association, etc.?

R/r 911

We had a day toward the end of class where the San Francisco Paramedics Association came in to talk to our class, basically recruiting. All their classes seemed way out of my price range, so I didn't sign up, though a lot of students jumped on it mainly so it would look good on their records when applying to FDs and nursing programs. I didn't really see the benefit or me...now that I'm working full-time I might reconsider, though.

That was about it as far as talking about outside classes and associations (other than NREMT).

Good point. In both my EMT-B and EMT-I courses, nothing was mentioned about professional development and professional organizations. However, in Nursing school membership in organizations and active involvement in professional development was strongly encouraged. As a new nurse, I had no desire to involve my self in this aspect of health care. However, now I see many benefits as a result of professional development. You can appreciate and possibly take part in the politics of your profession, learn about new developments, liaison, network, and gain a broad understanding of health care and the implications to your practice. In addition, you can use the involvement to communicate, work on solutions, and consult with multiple resources.

Take care,

chbare.

The only time a professional organization was mentioned was during the PHTLS program. The NAEMT rep spoke for all of 10 minutes on the benefits of membership. Yes, I admit that I joined, and was not the least bit impressed by the representation that was offered.

The consensus opinion has been that NREMT is doing the job. Unfortunately, NREMT has never been intended to represent the needs of the providers, and people wonder why there isn't more of it.

The provider in the street is more concerned with their paycheck stretching ability, than they are the direction of the profession.

Very frustrating.

The system I was taught in is most for education of Volunteers. The only organization I remember being mentioned was NREMT. To my knowledge I am the only person from my class who got even took the NREMT exam. I did it because of being in the military I thought it would help if I was moved somewhere else.

In my station I think the only other people with NR are the paramedics who have to take it. Most people do not plan on going anywhere so they stick with taking the state exam and refreshers.

I wish there was more emphasis in my system on Professional Development, and continuing education. We are lucky enough to be a short distance from Baltimore where the EMSToday is held each year. IT is an opportunity almost no takes advantage of. Last year My EMS Chief, his wife also a paramedic and myself were the only people from our statio to attend. I could not attend this year because Uncle Sam had some other plans for me that week!

Rid;

Some schools here have implimented "must attend" College Annual general meetings OR "do a paper" on the development on EMS in this province/ Canada..... 2 schools cancelled classes due to a memorial for a fallen comrade....

Participaction teaches more than any theory can...period.

KUDOs to those schools leading through example... Augustana, Northern Alberta Institute Technology and Canadian College of EMS.

We had several subjects of our degree devoted to professional studies, which included topic such as personal well being, profesionalism and what it is to have professional status, inderstanding difference in ethnic cultures, grieving process - especially related to SIDS, socio-economic status and impacts on health and a whole heap of other stuff that i cant remember at this time.

One thing that was impressed upon us was a need for continuing education and representation by professional bodies. Nurses have the Nursing Federation, Doctors have the Australian Medical Association, we have the Australian College of Ambulance Professionals

We were given i guess half a dozen presentations by the state branch president over the three years, each about 1 hour long. Two that i remember were possible direction that Australian EMS may travel in the future, i.e "Paramedic Practitioners" based on the UK model, and the slow but purposeful movement towards national registration and the difficulties that were being encountered. We were given opportunities to attend conferences and gain membership at reduced prices, with an emphasis based on continuing education - basically what ACAP can do to make our profession work better for us, and how we can work better for our porofession.

One of the programs ACAP kicked off was a voluntary "Certified Ambulance Professional" program, where people voluntary undertake study to accumulate points over a two year period to stay certified. While not mandatory by any means, its in its infancy and will grow into something more substantial over time

Heres the link Australian College Of Ambulance Professionals

We had several subjects of our degree devoted to professional studies,

Did not forget the all important lecture on BEER?

Reflections on Ice Breaking.....Quoting Ogden Nash, one of my personal favorites.

Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker.

Thank you.

Now just in passing this IS not a Slam, but many of the informal gatherings "after class" are more far enlighting than the actual lectures...

cheers

Did not forget the all important lecture on BEER?

Cant say we did, BUT i decided it was assumed knowledge and studied before i started the course :wink:

Ironically, when i logged into the thread a minute ago, the banner in the tag line read "BEER - For a professional image" :shock: