Guns in wake of Virginia

scratrat

Are you for or against complete banning of all firearms?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• For complete banning of all private firearms
    • Against complete banning of all private firearms

Michael- Great article!

As someone who will absolutely defend an individuals right to protect themselves as they see fit, including owning and carrying a firearm, I also will defend an individual institutions right to administate itself by establishing whatever environment they see fit.

It does scare me to see that these institutions are basically the barrel to put the fish in, and the State should not infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens, but I also think that colleges should set rules that meets their ends. No one could forecast the evil that would be brought upon these unfortunate people, and so I feel there is little fault on the part of the University on the end of the gun free campus issue. There are plenty of other issues that seem to be coming to light where it could be in quite a bit of trouble though, but that is for a lter time.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to add your name back to it. Next time I will. And I didn't read anything that there already. I didn't ASSume. The gist of your words spoke for themselves.

To everyone else, you're right. I'm sorry, this was the wrong time to ask about this little debate. I guess I'll wait until everyone forgets what happened, to again bring up my feelings about taking my rights away. Sorry, but I felt it warranted conversation. I guess not. My bad.

Scratrat,

Its not that we asked for 'time to forget', but time to let those directly affected that may be taking part in this forum to deal with their loss, and get their feet back on even ground. I agree that although this issue has divided the forum participants, issues that we feel strongly about (whether pro or con) SHOULD be discussed. Let's hope that this can be discussed in a logical and intelligent manner, rather than resort to insults and name calling.

+ 5 points to me for living in a relatively gun crime free country :D

Ahhh, but -5 for living in a country settled to make space for undesirables.

Found this on another forum this morning.

<Yet more Nuts with Rifles Association rambling paranoid macho crap deleted>

Just to let all of you out there in gun land know, this is why people are more afraid of the NRA than lone gunmen. So, keep it up you guys, keep up the rhetoric, keep up Charlton Heston and your cold dead hands stuff, keep saying how firearms a good thing as people bury their loved ones, rush to the presses as people grieve, more politicians will desert you, more rationale, law abiding gun owners will drop you like a bad habit, and your articles will do more to restrict gun ownership than Hillary Clinton and 8,000 left wing eltist eggheads could accomplish in a decade. Then again, with all those guns, its hard not to shoot yourself in the foot.

well look at what happened in nagasaki japan the other day. the mayor was shot and killed. seeing that they have most strict gun laws and very low gun violence it never goes away. you can ban all of the guns legally and it will be easier to obtain illegal guns. gun control isnt the answer. yes i am pro gun here but i have been with the local police department and i think guns are the essential key to preserving the state of things we have now. i was talking with my dad and we got to talking back in the old west stuff like this didnt happen. if you intended to shoot someone you thought twice because most people carried a gun on their hip. as for the background check i think that extending the periods to get one will discourage legal gun owners to go buy from an individual. now take into account that this guy could have purchased the guns from individual and what could be said then?

Common sense people. a gun does not kill, people with guns kill. and its just not guns you can kill with just bout anything. i mean if that guy went on a rampage with a knife and started killing people are you gonna ban knives because they kill people? o and the "privilege" to buy guns is not a privilege its a right as an American citizen. i believe the second amendment, right under the one to free speech.

And exactly how would more gun laws help anyone? This situation included?

Unless you are willing to try to remove every firearm and manufacturer there is no way you will eliminate the gun issue.

Unless you are willing to try to remove every firearm and manufacturer there is no way you will eliminate the gun issue.

While I'm not arguing the point, I'll throw this out for discussion.

Where do "illegal" handguns come from? Stolen from legitimate sources most likely.

If you can reduce the supply and source of the illegal handguns (i.e. legally owned handguns), wouldn't it stand to reason that the number of illegal guns on the street would be reduced as well?

No. You won't eliminate the threat. But you could greatly reduce it.

Like I said...just a talking point. Discuss at your leisure.

-be safe

i was talking with my dad and we got to talking back in the old west stuff like this didnt happen. if you intended to shoot someone you thought twice because most people carried a gun on their hip.

:shock: Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA... hang on a second... hang here, I gotta wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. You and your dad, both sat down, and said "Yep, in the OLD WEST, the WILD WILD WEST, politicians DID NOT get shot because people were afraid to shoot each other because everyone had a gun." I mean, you really belief that. You actually, really believe that's what happened. Wow. I'm not sure whether to be afraid, laugh, or just shake my head.

People go to high school. They graduate. They live in this country. Yet they seem to be on a different planet. I guess that's all the gun lobby really has in its favor, eh?

Anyone else wanna jump in on this before I come off as the elitist snob guy again? Please?