Is it me or are most of FDNY EMT/Medics miserable?

Is voluntary 911 ambulances a bad thing in NYC?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have been told, the Hatzoloh Chevra Volunteer Ambulance Service is supposed to be the world's biggest VAS, with INTERNATIONAL headquarters in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY. They have 2 garages in the Rockaways, with 3 units in Far Rockaway for Far Rockaway (Queens County)/Lawrence/Cedahurst/Inwood (Nassau County), and 1 in the Belle Harbor section of mid to western Rockaway.

Everywhere there is a large concentration of Jewish people, particularly the "Orthodox" or Chassidic Jews, there seems to be a Hatzoloh Chevra unit, at least within NYC.

For the uninformed, it usually is restricted to married males, as an unmarried male is not allowed to touch any females, due to religious laws. They are considered a religious group, so nobody, least as far as I know, has sued them for sex discrimination.

Hatzolah, has been known to pass by flag downs on the " your not jewish" line. Which is why they might get a cold shoulder from some, but this is word of mouth i have no documentaion so ill stay quiet about it :)

I am recalling the previous discussion now. It was said that most of their units are BLS only, and that they will take ALS runs and not back off of them for medics from other agencies, even if the medics are on scene. It is also said that they will respond very long distances when it is quite clear that other agencies have closer coverage in that area.

Like most volunteer agencies -- if the rumours are true -- it seems to be more about the agency itself than it is about the patient.

Hatzoloh reportedly had a role in Brooklyn's Crown Heights riots of some years ago, but I report here without confirmation on specifics.

An African-American small boy, was hit, on the sidewalk, when a vehicle in a prominent Rabbi's caravan was involved in a vehicle accident.

In one version, as it was the Rabbi's caravan, a Hatzoloh unit responded, but allegedly was told not to transport the boy by request of the NYPD that responded to the scene before the Hatzoloh or NYC EMS ambulances (pre-merger into the FDNY).

In the other version, also allegedly, the Hatzoloh ambulance refused to take the child, as he was not only not jewish, but black.

The only things I do know as reported fact following the rioting, was 1) that a black child was hit by a car, 2) a Hatzoloh ambulance on scene transported the driver of the car that hit the black child, as said driver reportedly was in shock for having hit a child, 3) a known rabble rouser incited the gathering crowd to attack and kill a Jew, 4) an Australian Hasidic rabbinical student was knifed to death by that crowd, and 5) the student's brother, over 10 years after the riots, is understandably still upset that nobody served any jail time for the murder of his brother.

I was not involved in this, although I was working for the NYC EMS at the time.

If the cops ordered the Hatzoloh unit not to take the boy, the onus is on the cops.

If the ambulance refused to transport the child, violating triage protocols of the state of New York, the crew should have been properly sanctioned.

As of this time, nobody has been reprimanded for doing anything wrong, but a neighborhood civilian patrol consisting of both Hasidics and blacks now patrols the 'hood, keeping what seems to be a holding peace in the community.

god... so many people will probably hate me for this... and i really don't care... and i honestly havn't followed this discussion completly through... but i did see hatzolah mentioned and that was enough to irritate me... god i hate them so much... they are so arrogant and self righteous... i work a municipal unit (thats fdny not ny community hosp) in a very jewish neighborhood near kings hw/nostrand in brooklyn and god i havnt gotten through one job without fighting with hatzolah over their ridiculous ethnocentric ideals.

god... so many people will probably hate me for this... and i really don't care... and i honestly havn't followed this discussion completly through... but i did see hatzolah mentioned and that was enough to irritate me... god i hate them so much... they are so arrogant and self righteous... i work a municipal unit (thats fdny not ny community hosp) in a very jewish neighborhood near kings hw/nostrand in brooklyn and god i havnt gotten through one job without fighting with hatzolah over their ridiculous ethnocentric ideals.

doubt anyone will hate you, seems everyones in some sort of agreement that hatzola isnt the best service in nyc.

Plus 5 for using "ethnocentric" in a post.

But you lose 5 for all the "..." and another 5 for not bothering to use capitalisation, so you're still in the red. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I must say after reading through this thread I'm amazed by the deverse amount of ambulance coverage in a single city; seperate ambulances for the Jews? crazy.

Here in Canada the system is a lot less crowded. I work in the city of Calgary, we have the Municipal service, Calgary EMS, which responds to all emergency runs, and a transfer service run by the local health region. Granted, we only have a million people in our city, but wouldn't it be more sensible to have just FDNY ambulances respond to emerg calls citywide?

I must say after reading through this thread I'm amazed by the deverse amount of ambulance coverage in a single city; seperate ambulances for the Jews? crazy.

Here in Canada the system is a lot less crowded. I work in the city of Calgary, we have the Municipal service, Calgary EMS, which responds to all emergency runs, and a transfer service run by the local health region. Granted, we only have a million people in our city, but wouldn't it be more sensible to have just FDNY ambulances respond to emerg calls citywide?

It's called free enterprise, my friend. Its what happens in capitalist societies. We like it that way, even if it does result in some weird sh!t sometimes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.