Is it me or are most of FDNY EMT/Medics miserable?

Is voluntary 911 ambulances a bad thing in NYC?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are terrible people because that's not the case. Most of the FDNY EMTs & Medics I do know are the nicest people around. There a few that have straight up given me the cold shoulder or shit because I am employed by a private company. I am just wondering why the hatred towards us? Personally I don't want to work for FDNY for several reasons, number one reason is the pay and the pension, I just don't see how working for 25 years only to retire with a minimum of 18,000 a year sounds like a great benefit, but thats just me. I am just wondering why any private 911 or voluntary 911 company is looked down on?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'm not really clear. Do you work for a Private Hospital, Like St. Lukes, St. Vincent's, or Jamaica, or do you work for some private company like Metro Care, or Transcare ..???

Also WHERE do you get your information ??????????? FDNY retirement even on the EMS side is not "18,000 per year."

Heah TKS,, who would stop paying you if you expres your opinion ???????? This is America after all ... Freedom of Speech ,,, etc.

this was a bad puntuation problem let me fix

yes its a bad thing, is my answer your poll

i like getting paid ..

aka, i like getting paid so YES volunteers in nyc are bad.

You mis read the question ...... Private hospitals in the NYC- 9-1-1 system are known as "Voluntary" hospitals,, because they "voluntarily " become members of the system ,,,, they are NOT VOLUNTEERS ,, they get paid,, sometimes better than the

so called municpal units (FDNY*EMS)

For example:

In Manhattan the following private hospitals run 9-1-1 units:

N.Y. Hospital, St. Vincent's, St Lukes/Roosevelt, Columbia Pres, Cabrini,

In Queens Jamaica, Mary Immaculate.

Etc.. All of them PAY their employees

Voluntary,, different from Volunteer....

I work for a private company, TransCare/MetroCare who has contracts through a lot of voluntary 911 hospitals such as BI south Mount Sinai North Gen Bronx Leb Monti St Barn and several others. Lets do the math. To answer your question were I got my information is this the pension is half of your pay? So after 5 years they make 39,000 and that would 19,500...okay so was a little off the numbers and didn't figure in overtime thats why i said minium and I know FDNY is trying to raise that but it wont be much because lets face it...Firefighters could care less about EMS and the turnover rate is extremely high. EMTs start out making 27,295 a year so that is what 13.12/hr. Paramedics make around 19.00/hr. I started out making 17.00 an hour because of my Firefighting Experience and EMS experience back home upstate. I do my job the same as the FDNY EMTs I don't care what my uniform is. I am just saying we are all a brotherhood. FDNY firefighters except all firefighters vollie or not as firefighters and apart of the brotherhood but yet there is a diversity through EMS...Privates are looked down apon. How many runs did you do when you were in NYC on a FDNY bus did a private ambulance come and back you up wether it was ALS or BLS?

You mis read the question ...... Private hospitals in the NYC- 9-1-1 system are known as "Voluntary" hospitals,, because they "voluntarily " become members of the system ,,,, they are NOT VOLUNTEERS ,, they get paid,, sometimes better than the

so called municpal units (FDNY*EMS)

For example:

In Manhattan the following private hospitals run 9-1-1 units:

N.Y. Hospital, St. Vincent's, St Lukes/Roosevelt, Columbia Pres, Cabrini,

In Queens Jamaica, Mary Immaculate.

Etc.. All of them PAY their employees

Voluntary,, different from Volunteer....

with the way he stated the last line in his first post,

lead me to understand, he was talking about volunteer companys ... i cant see fdny looking down upon a crew associated with them. i understand fdny = paid, as well as private=paid, but from what he stated, it seemed he was refering to volunteer not as you called them voluntary st vinny, rosie, cabrini, sinai, monte, bronx leb etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.