Texas at it again

my bad, hfdff422. By the way, this is not purely a philosophical debate and I believe the pro-gun side has used statistics very effectively. I don't think they were the most accurate statistic, after seeing this, but gj to you guys.

So in addition to Dwayne's question,

How exactly is carrying a gun around for those "just-in-case" moments where it might save a life different from those "wankers" everyone ridicules here putting lights on their cars and carrying way too much medical equipment around on and off duty for those "just-in-case" moments where it might save a life?

I'm sure some of you have had a time when you were off duty and wish you had some piece of medical equipment on you, do you carry it around or in your car?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly is carrying a gun around for those "just-in-case" moments where it might save a life different from those "wankers" everyone ridicules here

Isn't the objection to wankers that they display rather than conceal their equipment?

Isn't the objection to wankers that they display rather than conceal their equipment?

I was under the impression that there was more than just that. E.g., even if the lights on the cars were hidden and not visible unless turned on, the people were still ridiculed.

Also, consider this: In all of the school shootings you've heard about, where did the shooters obtain their guns from? Did the people who owned these guns obtain them illegally?

In the case of the Columbine shooting, it seems that ALL of the weapons involved were purchased legally, but with the sole intent of being provided (illegally) to the perpetrators. I believe the purchaser went to prison for that.

In the West Paducah, Kentucky school shooting (prior to Columbine), ALL of the guns used were stolen- including shotguns that were taken from a locked case.

Well, when someone has more Guns n' Ammo magazines than National Geographics laying around, I'm guessing they aren't planning on donating to the Red Cross.

Your open-mindedness is inspiring. :roll:

You know, you and Lone Star can talk about how you don't look forward to shooting anyone all day long, but your actions and rhetoric speak differently.

My actions? Are you stalking me now?

I hope I never shoot anybody. The one person I know who has done so outside of military service was a police officer, wound up quitting the force after that. I would imagine, then, that is is a fairly stressful event- even if you save lives in doing so, as he did. I honestly hope I never have to go through it.

But I'd much rather be prepared for the evenuality with more than just good feelings. It's the same reason we bring jump bags, monitors, etc into scenes when we often don't use them- we'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Oh. I'm not a gun owner, for the record.

Anyone else here old enough to remember this guy? His photo, posted publicly around NYC, reportedly received hand-drawn halos added by passers-by...

Too bad he wasn't a better shot.

Obviously not all of us live and work in such a well protected bubble as you do. Not all of us live in some affluent closed gate community. Having lived and worked in such places as metro Detroit, and having been the victim of gun related crime, I DO believe in a 'proactive approach' to not only MY safety, but the safety of my loved ones!

I'm sure that if you've ever been in the position to look down the muzzle of a handgun (whether legally obtained or not), you'd have a different outlook. Just the feeling of having to hope and pray that you're not going to get shot because you've only got $30.00 in your pocket at the time that someone sticks a gun in your face, is not a real good feeling! And, if you can't outrun a bullet....let's see you just turn tail and run out of the 'situation'.

Actually, I don't live in a protected gated community, and yeah, I've had my share of run ins with guns. Somehow the grieving families of victims of gun violence and people who I've dealt with who have been shot usually are against gun proliferation, not for it. See, in my experience, usually the ones who are so for guns are the ones from the gated communities in the suburbs, and the ones in the boonies where the worst crime was someone parking on the grass, people who get the majority of their information about crime and violence from what they see on TV. These are the ones who believe in 'predators', which Dateline is always seemingly trying to catch, and the CSI devotees who wannabe like David Caruso and let the criminal know who's boss. So you can take the tough guy "you don't get it, man" approach to this, but the truth is, I have a lot of experience with crime, gun violence, and the like, and its from that that I draw my opinions. Seeing a six year old die because someone decided to have too many drinks at a birthday party is why I have such a dim outlook on firearms, why I see them for what they are, a means to kill, nothing more, and nothing less.

Help me A2L, you live in New York City, you know the place that doesn't make Pace Picante Sauce. Now in New York City aren't, for the most part, guns illegal? That is unless you want to go thru a lengthy and expensive process for a limited permit.

www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html

So if you believe gun laws work well why would you ever see gun violence in NYC? See it's the point Dwayne was making you can't undue guns, it's too late the genie is out of the bottle big time. So if we make guns illegal tomorrow, not to sound cliche, but wouldn't only criminals have guns?

Peace,

Marty

In the case of the Columbine shooting, it seems that ALL of the weapons involved were purchased legally, but with the sole intent of being provided (illegally) to the perpetrators. I believe the purchaser went to prison for that.

In the West Paducah, Kentucky school shooting (prior to Columbine), ALL of the guns used were stolen- including shotguns that were taken from a locked case.

And the point is, although it IS a minor side-note, that guns and children don't mix. Here's all of the cases of school shootings by high school students at schools high school and below on wikipedia.

• : Gun taken from home of foster mother.

[*]Frontier Junior High: Don't know.

[*]Heath High School: Guns taken from parents as well as friend's father's garage.

[*]Parker Middle School: Gun taken from father.

[*]Pine Middle School: Gun taken from parent's house, bullets gift from father.

[*]Red Lake High School: 2 Guns from grandfather, 1 gun from unknown source.

[*]Red Lion Area Junior High School: Guns taken from stepfather's gun locker.

[*]Richland High School: Don't know

[*]Rocori High School: Don't know

[*]Santana High School: Guns taken from father's gun cabinet.

[*]Theo J. Buell Elementary School: Guns taken from uncle's house.

[*]Thurston High School: I'm having trouble piecing together all of the info, but he had many guns in his life including rifles from his father and a gun stolen from a friend's father by that friend.

[*]Westside Middle School: Guns taken from grandfather's house.

[*]Weston High School: Guns taken from parents.

And of course, Columbine. This is the only one, as far as I can see, where the guns were purchased illegally, through a straw purchaser.

There is a ray of hope though, in a couple instances guns were used to stop school shootings.

• : Principal subdues shooter with gun.

[*]Appalachian School of Law: Two former police officers subdued the shooter with gun. However, this wasn't high school or below.

In summary, if you're going to have children and guns at the same time, you'd better make sure the guns are secured like a nuclear silo. And I don't mean the Russian ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.