What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

In my time in EMS the only transfers I did came when doing clinicals in a big city. Many services don't do transfers. Many rural areas you don't do transfers but in my case transports of 911 patients to nearest hospital is 90 miles longer than most services transfers. I personally do not see doing transfers for a living but I have respect for those that choose it. To each his own but lets work together to make ours a profession with many specialtys like other medical professions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 I acknowledge your 34 years experience, but a have to reemphasize that receiving a paycheck doesn't make you a professional. How you carry yourself in relation to your patient, their family, your employer, your peer, and the public is going to either increase or decrease their perception of you and our profession. If you have been a provider for 34 years than you must have seen you share of volunteers that provided equal or occassionally better patient care that their "paid" counterparts. I can not see how receiving a paycheck has any bearing on professionalism.

#2 While on the subject, it's not about false appearances, it about first and foremost "patient care". Other's impression of our profession, is directly related to appearances, like it or not, people making judgements based on appearances. Unfortunately, some who act like pompous asses tend to represent all of us in EMS in that capacity, although some us can not help being what we are. The point I was attempting to make is: If our actions instill confidence in our patients, etc. it reduces anxiety and the healing process can begin.

#3 Although I run mostly in the 911 arena, with an occassional overtime transport shift. I stand by my original statement that no one ever became a nurse without wiping a few butts and no "Fire Monkeys" as you call them ever started in the fire department without wrapping up a few lines. Health care is 3 dimensional (pre-hospital. in-hospital, & post-hospital). Transports allow the provider to be more well rounded, with the realization that there is health care beyond the emergency room. letting the provider see patient outcomes through rehabilitation and possible Long Term Care facilities. Nurses have it 2/3 correct with in hospital and post-hospital care, but fail to realize that care begins prior to arrival in the ED. I am not saying that there are not many good medics out there that have never did transport. What I am sayng is that in private ambulance services, transports pay the salaries of us 911 providers. If course if it's municipal, then your salary is dependent on tax dollars and transports are not in the equation. I do feel that saying we are better than our transport counterparts is being an elitist. I know many transport providers that I would have as a partner any day over some 911 "trauma junkies". So, there is my rational for that particular statement.

#4 As for my helping to hold back "our people" & profession in the 1970's. My reply to that is: The only way to move our profession ahead is to increase others perception of us and "our people" & that includes "all" of us (emergency & transport), because in case you don't realize it not many (even other healthcare disciplines), know the difference by just looking at us.

+1. Another great and well thought out post with explanations of all the points raised. I'm curious to hear the rebuttal from ambman142.

Shane

NREMT-P

For the record, I'm going to have to agree with ambman that putting in your time in transport does have its benefits and rewards. It does give you a glimpse into the workings of the healthcare system, and if you use your time wisely, you can learn a lot about different illnessess and medications. Sure, doing the dialysis shuffle doesn't exactly prepare you for running a code, but getting your bum to work everyday, even when your job sucks, does prepare you for being a professional. I guess I'd rather have someone who has been doing transports for a few a years with a clean employment record and a good aptitude rather than the guy with the lightbar on Chevy Nova and the star of life tattoo. At least I know the first one isn't gonna crap out on us when the boredom hits.

Just a comment on the resume. My wife has done resumes professionally and it is generally accepted that they should be 1-2 pages. I figure if you have EMS experience and you are applying for a like position, than the employer will have a good idea of what your responsibilties were, in general. Besides, you have the interview to expand anything.

Eloquent.

cheers

Thank you. Have a lot of respect for Dustdevil though. I read a lot of his other posts and he is passionate about EMS and his advise is well thought through & on the mark, (I guess those 8 years really do make a difference) :wink: . I Just don't agree on the volunteer vs. paid professional thing or the Transport vs. Street provider thing, but he has many good points. I have to admit that my first impression was less than luminous, although I also have to admit that I agree with Dustdevil more often than not. I still stand by my beliefs that paychecks do not make you a professional, but giving you services away for free does lessen the value of the service that is provided by those of us that have chose this career path and strive to make it a recognized profession. I can not for the life of me figure out why people will pay someone to pick up their trash, but do not want to pay for EMS. Where are their priorities? I also have to agree that many stellar pre-hospital providers may have never been a transport jockey, but again I have to re-emphasize the 3- dimensional aspect. Anyway, I guess that's what this website is all about; providers expressing their opinions whether they agree with each other or not.

ambman142

Boy, you're one to talk about appearances and how you carry yourself.

Just kidding....I couldn't resist. :twisted: :twisted:

You know I love ya!

It's still 80 degrees. Enjoying your Nor'Easter?

Hey Scratrat :munky2: ,

I usually need a forklift to carry me, but you already know that. As for appearances, I din't mean my good looks :) . BTW, it's 80 up here too......this week! :wink: Keep in touch. you have my email. Always great hearing from you! :angel5:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.