What Would A Paid Employeer Like To See On EMT Resume?

Pro_EMT

I have not been doing EMS my hole life but I have been volunteering at my squad for 2 years and certified. I currently ride about 150 to 160 hours a month including the time and effort i put into our bike unit. However im going into college and i cant volunteer forever i want to transition my talent into getting paid. However i do NOT want TO DO TRANSPORT. Therefore i need everyones advice into getting into a paid emergency ambulance corp.

What would a employer like to see?

I have no previous EMS employment.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honesty. Do not try and make yourself look more experienced than you are. But do emphasize the training and types of experience you have had. Ask your EMS director and medical director if they will be willing to write reference letters. Just a couple of things from small town USA. Sorry can't give insite to big city EMS.

First off great question.

Excellent response spenac

Definately do not put anything on your resume that if false and found out would get you canned. That type of stuff will haunt you for a long time.

One other thing, delineate out your training but do not put every little duty on your resume that you did while working.

i counselled an emt about 6 years ago who's resume was 5 pages long. He was 18 at the time. Long resume huh?

he had 3 volunteer jobs and a job at a movie theater.

he put down every little thing he did for the volly services. If he was responsible for taking out the trash on his shifts he put that down. Each volly position he held covered one page each.

Send me a pm and I can help you with your resume.

Some of the first things that an employer might look for in a resume is proper spelling and grammar. That in itself goes a long way towards presenting yourself with a professional appearance. Otherwise, honest is one of the biggest things. Many services will take someone who they feel is a good fit into their organization with less experience rather than someone experienced who they feel is a bad fit. You can always work on someone's skills with them to improve them.

As far as your not wanting to do transport, good luck. Many services are transport services since it pays most of the bills. A lot of the totally emergency services do prefer at least some experience in the field. Different services have different views with regard to how they treat volunteer experience. In your resume, you may want to outline how many calls a year your service does so a prospective employer will have a gauge of your experience level.

Your probably better off accepting a position that does transports and emergencies to "pay your dues" before getting to move onto the highly sought after full 911 position.

Good luck,

Shane

NREMT-P

So What would you rather do at a "paid emergency ambulance corp"? "Transport is the life blood of such organizations.

Your chances of being getting stuck on a "BLS geriatric response unit" are way greater than you might think.

Somedic

Before I start I know that I don't have all the years of experience that some of the people have on this site, however I was in your position not to long ago. The other replies are spot on, A good resume can make or break you. I'am only 20 and I have a resume that is five or six pages long now and I constantly keep updating it. As far as being paid for your services and not transporting goes, I don't know how things work were you live, but here the only chance you have of doing that is being hired by a fire department specifically on an engine or were they have a private company do all their transports. Just my thoughts though

I've noticed a couple or replies with refrence to a long resume. From my time in any position (I was an engineer before I got into EMS), most employers aren't looking for a really long resume. In fact, I think most recommendations with regard to a resume is a cover letter, and then a resume that is a single page with two pages recommended as a maximum. Long resumes can lose the readers interest since in general they may have a large number to go through. Keep it short and to the point with regard to what your employer is looking for. In your interview process will be your chance to elaborate on points in your resume, as well as providing a chance for you to ask questions to your potential employer; as well as the employer being able to ask questions of their potential employee. I wouldn't recommend a long resume. Seems that it could be more hinderance then help. Just my two cents.

Shane

NREMT-P

I would really like to know why all these new EMT's don't want to do transfers. Are you too good to do transfers? I've been in EMS for nearly 15 years, and I've worked part-time for transport services for 10 years of it. The current emergency service I work for is hospital based, so I'm still doing transfers. You want a good looking resume? Take the ambulance job you can get, make the most of it, and put a good amount of time into the job. If you can stick out running on a BLS transport car for a year, you can stick out any job.

When I worked in human resources, I never wanted to see a resume with more than one page. Waste of time.

My $.02, be concise, highlight your education and experience. You can elaborate when you get an interview. And, never forget the importance of a cover letter (also, one page).

Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.