FDNY EMS at Bronx Fire

Last night a horrible fire broke out in an apartment complex in the bronx, killing 8 children. The untold story is the valiant efforts of FDNY firefighters and EMS who worked together in freezing cold temperatures and saved several occupants. This video shows some of those efforts. For easy identification, the ones in tan turnout coats are EMS, the ones in black turnout coats are firefighters. This video is hard to watch, I should warn you, there are images of small children being worked on. However, it makes me very proud to be part of the system I am in. Before anyone starts nitpicking on BSI or procedures and stuff, please bear in mind that the patients were literally being pulled out and dropped out of windows into the night air which was in the teens with the windchill pushing it below zero.

Unfortunately, I can't imbed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-oW9Zm_N8Y

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I commend you guys for your efforts, I think this video is tasteless and the cops should've stopped warning that guy and just taken his camera from him. There is no reason to stand at the back of an ambulance and video tape the EMS providers working on someone.

While I commend you guys for your efforts, I think this video is tasteless and the cops should've stopped warning that guy and just taken his camera from him. There is no reason to stand at the back of an ambulance and video tape the EMS providers working on someone.

Let me get this right......

You were warned of what was in the video, watched it, then decided to whinge about iwhat you saw? Would you rather some edited news footage with a corny cliche'd voice over talking the situation up?

No......in its own confronting, nightmarish way, this video clip is perfect.

Mans humanity towards his fellow man.

So if they were pulling your family from a house fire, and they were dead. You wouldn't mind having some guy there video taping it all and then posting it online. I have no problem with people video taping fires, and if it shows a dead family being pulled from a house thats fine, but standing at the back of the ambulance and video taping is wrong. There was no reason for him to be running down the street so he could follow the strecher all the way to the back of the ambulance.

Also I'm not whining about what I saw and I did read the warning, I just don't think it was a good video.

what is more sad is that amount of people in that house. ONe family had 17 (I think) living in one apartment. That's what's sad no wonder why so many died.

I think it is crazy how the camera guy seem to almost get in the way. "Just doing my job." It is the freedom of the press, but why were there no barricades or outline area for people to stay out of the danger zone and the "work zone." Cameras since it is a right to have them should only be allowed in the cold zone.

What I saw didn't "bother me," however seeing young kids as the victims is never easy. I have to agree with the earlier posting that I don't think the video was any good.

It does look like the EMS and Fire was doing a good job, it would just of been nice to see a perimeter.

As I write this, I have not viewed the video.

The videographers have the right to get the news, but...

Years ago, I was working a fire scene, one dead, with numerous "walking wounded" being treated onscene and transported by municipal EMS. I was there with the now defunct Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

An 80 something year old woman had radiant 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her arms, under her heavy brass bracelets, and NYPD Emergency Services was using a power saw (a K-12, perhaps) to cut the bracelets off, in the back of my ambulance. A videographer was almost inside the ambulance doors, filming.

I tapped him on the shoulder, and said, "While I understand your right to videotape this as a news event, I also want some privacy for my patient, as she has that right, too. Can we find some common ground to do this for both of us?"

He backed off of the ambulance, and the video footage showed an unidentifiable patient being treated when it aired.

Now that I have viewed it, I see the EMS and Firefighters doing their jobs, while glaring at the videographers. NYPD and Red Cross are trying to block the videographers. Both PD and videographers can be heard saying to each other, "I'm just doing my job," and both are correct.

Re the patients, except for a few firefighters, I never saw anything that I might recognize them sometime later. I understand that, for those who knew the deceased, this might not be the case.

The entire deal is bad. 22 persons living in a 2 family home, 8 children and an adult dead.

This, unfortunately, is one of those horrible moments akin to hiding behind your hands, yet peeking thru at what scares you in fascination. As human beings, we always will see this kind of thing with some similar regard.

You know, I apologize if anyone really takes offense at this video. Granted, there were some disturbing images, adn yeah, the cameraman was being a dick, but honestly, when I viewed it I didn't think it was any worse than anything I've seen on COPS.

You know, I apologize if anyone really takes offense at this video...

I don't think you need to apologize.

I did watch as I had heard about this fire but hadn't heard any details. I didn't watch the entire video- I got the idea of the situation after only a couple minutes. But anyway, we all have the choice to watch or not watch. But my heart goes out to all those involved.

While I commend you guys for your efforts, I think this video is tasteless and the cops should've stopped warning that guy and just taken his camera from him.

Against the law, unless you're arresting him for interfering with the emergency situation, which would have required a lot more effort on the part of the camera man. He was told to stay on the sidewalk and for the most part did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.