Gas, Diesel, or Hybrid Fueled Ambulance?

Pursuant to another string, I ask all, if they are still using a gasoline powered or diesel powered ambulance, or perhaps one of the "experimental" type, like a hybrid diesel-electric powered ambulance.

FDNY EMS ambulances, as far as I know, are all type 1 "Mods", diesel powered F 350s and possibly a few F 450s.

Also as far as I know (wiggle room if I am incorrect), all the 9-1-1 ambulance service providers are also diesels, as are all proprietary, and volunteer services operating within New York City.

There are 2 Volunteer ambulance services that have gasoline powered ambulances, but these are "Parade Show Pieces" that are not allowed to transport any patients. Pity, both are Cadillac Ambulances, and you know how I loved their smooth ride!

Our service uses all Crestline and Demers trucks. Some Type II (Usually spares, and they are being phased out ASAP) and the rest are Type III with a few Type I 4x4 at the remote bases.

The newest batch of vehicles ('05 and up) are gasoline powered. My understanding is that all new trucks will be this Crestline gas powered truck. With the exception being those 4x4 Type I as they are from Demers and I don't think Crestline makes an equivalent. Those will be diesel.

Our fleet is something like 40 vehicles or so.

• 1 month later...
Anyone ever hear of a Hybrid Ambulance anyway? And I mean one that's used on runs, not just a prototype.

As apparently neither one of us has actually heard of, or seen one, is kind of why I asked in the first place. Yes, I am, sure there is one out there, still in R&D, or a created prototype.

There was a prototype 4WD Ambulance used on a test for soft sand off road, on the NYC beaches, something like 20 years ago. If memory serves me correctly, it was a Horton on a Jeep chassis, worked 2 weeks each on 4 of the 5 county's beaches within NYC. Insides too small, was the most often heard complaint, again if I remember correctly.

• 9 months later...
i don't know if this is true but in romania they have vans and they are gas powered

Romania?

That reminds me, is Count Vlad Dracula still there, in the Transylvania area of Romania? I heard he still has some kind of "pull" at the blood bank there!

[As apparently neither one of us has actually heard of, or seen one, is kind of why I asked in the first place. Yes, I am, sure there is one out there, still in R&D, or a created prototype.

There was a prototype 4WD Ambulance used on a test for soft sand off road, on the NYC beaches, something like 20 years ago. If memory serves me correctly, it was a Horton on a Jeep chassis, worked 2 weeks each on 4 of the 5 county's beaches within NYC. Insides too small, was the most often heard complaint, again if I remember correctly.

Where I used to volly :pukeleft: we had a 4x4 ambulance. 1980 or 81 Ford E series. That sucker could climb a straight wall.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.