Gas, Diesel, or Hybrid Fueled Ambulance?

Our ambulances are all Ford E-450 chassis with a Wheeled Coach box. All are diesel powered.

The hospital based transport and MICUs are all Bio-Diesel powered. I'm not sure how that is working out for them as it is relatively new ( for them ). Come to think of it, all their buses and trucks run on Bio-Diesel also.

I haven't heard of true Hybrid ambulance. There is very little storage now and I wonder how long a charge would last as much power as we use.

I'm pretty sure Law for the US says all new ambulances have to be diesel powered. That being said I used to work in a couple of OLD type 2 & 1 gas rigs. I loved them. But what's not to love about a 454 chevy engine and a .410 rear end. They were on their last legs when I worked on them but it was fun while it lasted. I'd love to find another one and turn it into a parade truck. The old trucks were just more comfortable.

BTW A hybrid Type II is technically possible Now that Chevy has the hybrid tahoe. They could work it into a van chassis and go from there. It would be interesting to see if a hybrid's 12 v system could keep up with an ambulance's increased electrical demands.

I'm pretty sure Law for the US says all new ambulances have to be diesel powered. .

Hope not because then I know some law breakers with brand new gas ambulances. Can you site where that law is with a link please.

I don't think there is any law about all ambulances in the US needing to be diesel powered. What I do remember is, Ford became the first truck engine and chassis manufacturer to get some kind of acceptance of design, as previous designs allowed antifreeze boil-over to land on the exhaust lines.

Correct me if I am wrong (a rare thing, but it happens sometimes), but isn't alcohol a part of antifreeze? After the water boiled away on the exhaust lines, the alcohol would burn, the engine would follow, and there's a couple of videos at the network news of ambulances pulling over to the side of the road, and the crews jumping out with the patient on the strech. Did I mention this was in the middle of the New York state Thruway?

This was due to something in gas engine ambulance construction, alleviated by the switch to diesel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.