Hardest part of EMT-B was......?

Breck

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After u get certified... Working with other EMT-B's that are dumb as a bucket of mud. My hardest challenge: Convincing my captain that there are protocols to follow, and that it actually is X year, not 1950.

Oh wait, I just did that twenty minutes ago.

Best thing to do is run away. Fast.

I had trouble balancing studying and work. I also had problems with disciplining myself and forcing myself to just sit down and study. I kept thinking of all the things I had to do, housework, ect. I soon realized those things will be there after I get done. I prioritized and made it work.

I also found that class teaches you the basics and not much more. I often felt the need to seek out additional info and further investigate it to really get the true meaning. Class was a foundation, anything more was my responsibility to learn.

tying the ankle hitch for the traction splint with a triangular bandage, (before they had the commercially made one)

And remembering the percentages for Nasal O2.

Yeah I think that was all.

Me too.. we had to apply a Thomas Half Ring as well as a Hare.. I think I still can tie an ankle hitch.. LOL :D

When I came to the sad realization that I learnt over half the course as a boy scout. Hell, even in scouts we learnt a sorta of makeshift c-spine protection scheme if we had to leave a victim to go get help.

When I came to the sad realization that I learnt over half the course as a boy scout. Hell, even in scouts we learnt a sorta of makeshift c-spine protection scheme if we had to leave a victim to go get help.

Plywood, rope and a pair of sneakers... :D

I had trouble balancing studying and work. I also had problems with disciplining myself and forcing myself to just sit down and study. I kept thinking of all the things I had to do, housework, ect. I soon realized those things will be there after I get done. I prioritized and made it work

Yeah, aint that the truth.

One of the pitfalls of adult education is there is often little or no support for developing study strategies and regimes that can be used by people who did not have the benefit of just finishing high school where these teachings are the norm. I also find there is often very little accomodation for people with different learning styles, i.e. kinesthetic v's auditory v's visual. In fact, i'd wager very few programs even help students identify their learning type before the commencement of study (I believe this should be a compulsory module done at the beginning of any extended tertiary study)

A lot of the time, people who rely strongly on kinesthetic or visual (or a combination of both) are often at a disadvantage, either because the material presentation is not varied, or the subject itself does not lend kindly to being presented as a physical exercise.

I feel sorry for anyone who is a combination of kinesthetic/visual learning. Learning science subjects can be a real pain in the ass - and making revision notes that cater for your learning style are a lot more time consuming than others.

Hehe - did anyone get the impression i have had some problems with study strategies? :D

Most of the time the hardest part was staying awake in class. I read the book and paid attention.

Very little was difficult. The hard part comes when you get done with class. I occasional force myself to pull the book and go over stuff I do not use often. In over a year, never had an OB call. Need to refresh on that one. No getting complacent and continuing to learn is the hardest part now.

If I did not have to go off to a school to promoted later this year, I would be taking EMT-I right now. My EMS chief is also a medic with the MD State Patrol. They handle the vast majority of medevac in the state. I often sit down with him and we talk scenarios and what ifs and he imparts those bits of wisdom that you do not get in class.

Sarge

the hardest part of EMT classes for me was like SSG said, not falling asleep in class. I already had a bachelors degree, I graduated with a 3.6 gpa from UMKC and the class was taught at what I felt was a 3rd grade level. We had a lot of students who couldn't tell their right hand from their left or to be blunt didn't know blank from shinola.

The class was so easy a cave man could do it but in deference to my instructor, he was pretty darn good at relating real life situations to the material.

I couldn't wait to get out and be the ultimate emt complete with all the whacker tools until a seasoned medic told me to snap out of it and told me that to be a good emt was to ask questions, don't hesitate to learn new things and for gods sake get rid of all the stuff on my belt, you'll never need it he said. and you know what, he was right.