Kinda been in EMS awhile and need advice

futuremedic

hello all,

Bare with me all this is a bit lengthy. Ok this my first time ever posting have been reading em for awhile but feel it is time to post. Ok I have been in and out of EMS for about 1 1/2 years. I took an EMT B class 3 times cause this is something I have a passion for. The first time I took the class I was already enrolled in a community college full time with 12 credit hours then I added the EMT class took be up to 18 credit hours did it for 2 months then had to drop it. Took it again the following semester missed passing by 1 point need an 80% to take the national registry got a 79%. Passed it according to the college but not enough to take the national. Anyhow I took it again that fall at a fire department and passed took the national and passed. Now Im on a full-Time Volunteer paid on call service. The issue I am having is talking to patients which Im improving on but one more problem remains. I have trouble remembering everything that I learned like patient assessments and drug dosages. So if anyone has any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EMT B - Illinois

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but one more problem remains. I have trouble remembering everything that I learned like patient assessments and drug dosages. So if anyone has any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When you say "patient assessments", do you meant that you have trouble remembering to get a SAMPLE history, and to ask the OPQRST questions?

I carry a small notepad with me when I'm on duty. On the inside covers of that pad, I write details such as pediatric vital-sign ranges that I haven't yet committed to memory. You might be able to do the same sort of thing.

This is when you take advantage of those times you are sitting around at the station with nothing to do between calls. Grab your partner or manniquinn and start going over your assessments. Know them like you know your own name. Make a few notes on your clipboard if you must but there will come a time when you will have to pop off your assessment and you won't be afforded the time to look for your notes. Practice, practice, practice....it's the only way to get them down cold. And while you are doing your practice assessments, take that time to perfect how you are talking with your patient.

You will be suprised as you go on calls, how easily this will come to you. The first several times, I was scared beyond belief. It's healthy to be nervous and I would be worried if you weren't. If you are on a service that isn't very busy, get yourself on one that is or do ride time with another service who has a high call volume just to get the experience. Good luck and let us know how things go for you!

Perhaps it is a regional thing, but where I sit, volunteer means not paid.

i think bushy's description of 'retained' working is apt

in the uk we have retained FFs - they are paid a certain amount for training and being available forcall and then paid by the hour when called out ...

Studying between calls is always a good idea, but the best thing that will help you is practice. Even if you can't get someone else to help you, practice on your own. Write out a list of what you are supposed to be asking, then pretend you have a pt. like a chest pain and go down the list. When I was starting out I practiced on this 3ft blowup alien that my sister had just to get used to the questions and the trauma assessment. Repetition helps. Other times I recruited friends and family to answer questions to get used to it.

If you are having trouble remembering the answers to the questions, then carry a notepad with you. I do, and find it useful for writing down answers, phone/fax numbers to give to services I am transferring care to, and on wrecks it is great for keeping pts what cars they are in in order. Just remember, anything you write down is strictly confidential, and when you are done with the info it is best to either keep it with the report, or shred it. NEVER take it home with you for others to find. Otherwise it is a great tool to use. You can also use the first few pages to write down bits and pieces of info to refer to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.