HELP! Back injury and I'm still a student!

Relish

I am extremely upset and disappointed right now.

Today was the first day of my EMT course, at the end of the day, the instructor loaded the stretcher, with not quite all of the 250 lbs we are supposed to carry...and told us to go see what it feels like to lift. Granted, I know that it was alot of weight for me, I have just started a weight lifting program to help me out. However, with my first attempt, the girl on the other end of the stretcher cranked her half way up at the count of three, I was not able to lift it that fast. Therefore, the weight was leaning down on my end, so of course I couldn't lift it from there. I tried again, she did the same thing. So, now I sit here wincing in pain as I totally wrenched my back during this. :crybaby:

I had a previous back injury from last year and it was just starting to feel better, now I'm back, no actually behind where I started from.

We are not able to go on our practicum until we can carry the weight up and down two flights of stairs. But now because I've screwed up my back, I can't start lifting weights until this subsides(likely a few weeks).

What experiences have others had with back injury? Am I kidding myself that i can do this job? I want this more than anything, but I'm scared as hell that I'll fail with the physical part of my course and waste $10,000 on a career I can't possibly do?! Do I back out now and take a course in dispatch? Any help on the issue would be greatly appreciated....I'm desperate and totally discouraged.

(Also, does anyone have clarification about the weight of a stretcher? I heard they were 70lbs alone, loaded with 4, 5gallon jugs, which i heard were 50lbs a piece-10lbs per gallon, If those calculations were right, then we were deadlifting 285lbs -as they also had a 15lbs weight on it as well. And the full weight to lift is that plus one more water jug=335lbs up and down 2 flights?!?!? What the hell? Am I wrong, or are they wrong?)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go see a Dr - find out if its skeletal or muscular then do whatever they say in order to reduce the inflammation

See a sports trainer when advisable by your GP, get exercise that focus on strengthening your back and muscles used in correct lifting technique

Learn and become a stickler for correct lifting technique, instill it on your partner, your colleagues and more impprtantly, always assess the situation and see if you can avoid carrying as much as possible.

ABC - Ambulate Before Carrying

Good Luck

It’s ok everyone, I’m here, I’m a sports trainer (egoness) Jokes…

But out of all seriousness, take it easy, get it checked out, if it’s lower back then unfortunately it will flare up and niggle at times throughout your life especially if you’ve had problems with it before and your lifting weight on a regular basics. You know the drill ice for the first 48 hours then after that apply some heat.

I wouldn’t be doing any exercisies or strength training till you’ve got no pain; more weight will only frustrate the muscles again. After you have no pain I suggest you start doing so core exercises to concentrate on the effected muscles, bring them up to the same strength as the others then maybe work on some overall strength training.

As for the stretcher work have you thought of having you partner at the same end as you? So you both lift the head end first then go around and both lift the feet end, it half’s the amount of weight that both you guys would lift.

Back problems are a pretty big problem in EMS and Nursing.

Other than that good luck!

EDIT- I would also recommend you see a physio before you see your GP… GP’s don’t have any experience in these areas (in Aussie land anyway) and would just refer you to a physio then charge you a consolation fee.

Edit Edit- Also please don’t give up! There’s ways around everything in EMS you just have to give it time!

Immediately seek attention as others describe, and then afterwards possible back exercise to strengthen muscles. I will forewarn you though with a history of back problems might have a potential problem. This needs to be discussed with your physician. Back problems is the number one OJT injury and this can be a potential problem later.

Good luck,

R/r 911

First question, did you report this to your training site?

Second do like everyone else here has said go get checked out - the longer you wait and do nothing the longer you will be out of clinicals.

Take it from someone who has suffered 5 back injuries over a period of 15 years - they do not get better without treatment - they get progressively worse. Why do you think I'm mostly out of ems now.

Your spending $10,000 for an EMT career ??? Or was that because your planning on getting your medic after ?

yes, it's a compressed course, so it's full-time, and intense, $10,000 is the cost for tuition, plus books, plus supplies, plus uniform, plus most importantly, living expenses/bill payments for the 6 months during class and practicum costs. So, yes, it sounds like a lot, but it sure adds up. That's Canuck dollars too.... :wink: so like $500 american...haha

First question, did you report this to your training site?

Not right away like i should have, it was the end of the day and most people had already left. Today at the end of class we were to do the stretcher carry on the stairs and I asked my instructor if I could sit this week out of the Physical portion due to the back strain that I sustained yesterday. Unfortunately he didn't sound happy about it (said,"It's only 1 jug, not that heavy, but sure, whatever..."). But whatever, he can think what he wants, it's my back and my career. I just feel so stupid as I was the only one in class not able to lift the stretcher, and then having to sit out today... :oops: .

Thanks for all the advice, it really means alot to have all this help! (One of the other students is a competitive body builder, he felt sorry for me, so today he brought me a weight belt to try when I do lift again for support...which was nice)

I've been taking it easy and thank god, it's feeling better already, it's never felt better this soon(perhaps the little weight lifting I've done HAS helped!) I will watch it carefully and do all that I can to keep it healthy. Don't worry, I don't give up this easy, I'm going to fight as hard as I can to achieve this, I WILL do this career, the only thing that'll stop me is if I break my back and I'm in a wheelchair!

Thanks again, it really picked up my spirits, I was really upset yesterday. I know that it won't be easy starting this career with this issue, but I've always liked a challenge! haha...

Would it be beneficial to wear a back support daily under my uniform-not a weight belt, but a support? Anyone had any experience with them, do they help or are they a waste of my much needed money?

• 2 years later...

Well seek medical help!!!

I have been an emt for four years and just this december i have had a back injury and i have not worked since. Most days I cant get out of bed. Physical Therapy helps. ie..muscle relaxers and pain meds (but that is not a cure all). I love my job as an emt but my days on the truck are pretty much done. SEEK MEDICAL HELP is my advice don't wait it wont get better on its own.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! Easter was last month...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.