HELP! Back injury and I'm still a student!

Relish

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it but I would seriously consider another line of work. If you are still a student and already have back issues, your career will be shortened considerably unless you can find a way to teach or be a supervisor- anything other that street work. As was mentioned, nearly everyone in prehospital care has back issues- although with the new equipment it is certainly better than it was. Back injuries never truly go away and mine was not from a heavy patient, it was an awkward lift and I ruptured L5,S1- the most common place for us. It's better now and the next step is surgery, so I will put that off until I am nearly crippled. Keep your core strong-lots of abdominal work, keep flexible, and keep your weight down.

Nearly every morning I wake up with pain but most days it goes away after awhile. Problem is, I also can't be in any one position for too long- standing, sitting, or lying down- or I stiffen up and get very sore. It's the nature of the business and anyone who has done this for any length of time has similar issues.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I hope you understand what a physically demanding job prehospital work is- and if you are STARTING with a bad back, that is not a good sign. I don't know how old you are, if you have a family, but think about quality of life later on. Something like this affects everything you do.

A gallon of water weights approximately 8.25 pounds(it's some weird # I can't remember, but that's pretty close and what we used at the aquarium store I worked at). Your water weighed 41.25/jug or 165 pounds total. With the 15 pound weight it would be 180 pounds on the stretcher. With one more jug it will be 206 plus the stretcher for down the stairs. That's when we call the FD around here. ;) Why would they have you carry it up the stairs? I can understand down the stairs but how often are you going to be pulling someone out of a basement? All that aside, I have some back issues too but when I start having some money to spend the chiropractor is going to become my best friend. And I guess a trainer because I know nothing about exercise. You might want to see if you can wear a back support during your practical stations.

Your spending $10,000 for an EMT career ??? Or was that because your planning on getting your medic after ?

That is what i was wondering?! 10 grand for EMT-B?!?!? That course only ran me like 650.00

Ahhh, Alberta and their backwards titles strike again. ;)

Unlike the rest of Canada, Alberta calls their Primary Care Paramedics (PCP) EMT's. However, they have a full year of full time college education comparable to Ontario and exceeding many of the other provinces. Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP), which Alberta calls EMT-P is a further two years of full time schooling.

I've had several back injuries in my career, and I can tell you one of the best things you do (getting ready to be flamed by associates) is to see a REPUTABLE chiropractor. These guys have been a god send for me. The two bad ones I've had I went to the witch doctor and I gotta tell you. The electrical stimulation and traction methods along with the adjustments really help.

Now having said that, my injuries are not likely related to lifting the cot. What will kill you is bending over in the ambulance, and if you fly you'll definitely feel it. All the crouching over is really bad on your back. So pay attention to your body mechanics, it's all cumulative over your life. Do the back strengthening exercises, stretch every shift, and pay attention to what you do OFF DUTY as well.

I think bad mechanics hurt me early on, both injuries were exaggerated after the arrival of new additions at home (bending over changing table, putting the car seat in the middle/rear seat).

At any rate, coordinate with a physician and a chiropractor if needed. I know people with similar injuries that refuse to seek a chiropractor, one ended up with 15 different back/spinal surgeries, and he's a very fitness oriented individual! Don't rule it out because it's not mainstream medicine.

EDIT: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/SA00080

Edited by rpm911

I've had several back injuries in my career, and I can tell you one of the best things you do (getting ready to be flamed by associates) is to see a REPUTABLE chiropractor. These guys have been a god send for me. The two bad ones I've had I went to the witch doctor and I gotta tell you. The electrical stimulation and traction methods along with the adjustments really help.

Now having said that, my injuries are not likely related to lifting the cot. What will kill you is bending over in the ambulance, and if you fly you'll definitely feel it. All the crouching over is really bad on your back. So pay attention to your body mechanics, it's all cumulative over your life. Do the back strengthening exercises, stretch every shift, and pay attention to what you do OFF DUTY as well.

I think bad mechanics hurt me early on, both injuries were exaggerated after the arrival of new additions at home (bending over changing table, putting the car seat in the middle/rear seat).

At any rate, coordinate with a physician and a chiropractor if needed. I know people with similar injuries that refuse to seek a chiropractor, one ended up with 15 different back/spinal surgeries, and he's a very fitness oriented individual! Don't rule it out because it's not mainstream medicine.

EDIT: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/SA00080

I'm one of the ones who has never seen a chiropractor, despite having 2 friends- a husband and wife team- who run a very successful business. Problem is, they are also over the top in their claims that their discipline can help damn near anything that ails you. Does it work- I'm sure it does, but I also think it depends heavily on what type of problems you have: Are they musculoskeletal or due to a disc problem with nerve impingement? I'm pretty flexible, do strength training, I'm aware of my posture and good lifting mechanics, but my original injury was due to a freak thing, not poor lifting technique.

A friend who was one of the best medics I ever met ruptured 2 cervical discs when carrying an 80 lb little old lady in a stairchair through a doorway. She was confused, became upset and grabbed the door jamb as they were passing it, torquing his neck. His mechanism of injury was similar to mine, only it caused far more damage. To make a long story short, he's had multiple surgeries, fusions, been on a morphine pump, became addicted to and recovered from painkillers, and couldn't even lift his newborn baby for several months. He's now out of the business and is a successful PA, but is still in constant pain. It broke his heart to give up prehospital medicine- he was born to do this job.

When I originally injured myself, I went through a ton of rehab. I could not tolerate the electrical stimulation- but the flexibility exercises, ultrasound, work hardening, strength training, etc was fine. In the end, after being able to do everything they asked and more, I was still in pain. They told me that essentially that was all they could do for me, and it would be a matter of how much discomfort I would be able to endure before I had the surgical 'fix'. That was 10 years ago and I'm still going. You also don't realize how much discomfort you get used to until you have that rare day when things feel good.

Try anything and see if it works- whether it be accupuncture, herbal remedies, napropaths or witch doctors. I don't wish back problems on anyone, but if you are in this business long enough, it's amost a certainty you will deal with them.

Like everyone else says get checked out. The injury could be a simple muscle sprain to a disk problem in your back. Hell you may even learn something about yourself that you didn't even know. When I hurt my back last year, I discovered that I had spina bifida oculta. Although supposedly benign, the doc told me Id have to watch it from here on in.

One practice to get into is lifting with your legs. I had to for a while use a back brace to remind me to lift with my legs. Its doesn't completely prevent improper lifting. Just an idea. Its a bad habit to get into so break it sooner than later.

Good Luck

I know this is an old thread but I would also strongly suggest strengthening your core. I had my first back injury after 7 years working, this past fall. My PT told me strengthen my core with various stretches and abdominal exercises. It has worked wonders for me. The best part is a lot of the stretches can be done at work, you don't need a gym or equipment. Check the web there are plenty of sites with exercises.

Reread the initial post here and have one big gaping question: why the frig were students starting with near full weight first time out? In my program, first week, the stretcher, stair chair, even backboard were kept empty until we were practiced with coordinating our lifts, working the trigger mechanism, walking with another person. We then slowly added weight until at the end of first semester we had to lift with 150lb dummy, then 175 at midterm, 190 at 2nd semester end and finally 210lbs for third semester onward. A LOT of people can't lift anywhere close to the final weight safely at the beginning of the program. I think it's really unsafe to start students lifting that high a weight before they been trained on the equipment and have practiced. Sure many will be fine, but those that won't be are a huge potential liability for the school and instructor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.