Anyone use the Thomas ALS or ALS Ultra Pack?

I think Dust's concern might be regarding the wanker factor.

I recently went through what you are doing but on a BLS level with a Blackhawk STOMP II and basically decided to take a general list of BLS supplies compiled from several sources and just think through how I would be using things. The tools I have for the most life threatening or most oftenly accessed items are the quickest to get to.

Put things in you bag how ever you think is good and then take it to the field...once in the field you can begin to streamline it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dust's concern might be regarding the wanker factor.

LOL! :D

Pretty much! But really, I don't lose sleep over the wanker factor unless it is hurting the profession or putting the public at risk. If somebody wants to wear a plumbers pouch full of haemostats and paste giant Star Of Life stickers all over his piece of crap pickup truck, that's fine with me. It's only when they start jumping runs they have no business on, or driving dangerously that I take public issue with it.

In this case, it was beginning to sound like you were contemplating a little freelancing, unassociated with any reputable EMS provider agency. If that is the case, I take issue with it because of both of the above stated reasons.

You have already made clear your intentions to go on to medical school. That makes you not an EMS professional, but merely an EMS tourist. You're apparently not interested in becoming a real member of the profession who contributes to the betterment of the art or strives to make it a better career for yourself and those who come after you. For you, it's just a hobby. Something to whet your appetite for blood and guts til you can move on. Nothing personal, because you are a well spoken, intelligent, accomplished, and ambitious young man whom I respect, but you will find that those of us who have devoted a lifetime to trying to make this a real profession do not appreciate those who come along and cheapen it by treating it as just a stepping stone to something better. Think about it. You are calling the thing I have devoted over thirty years to, nothing but a temporary diversion, not worthy of your lifelong commitment. Can you understand why many of us might take offence to that? And if you are giving it away for free, just for the thrills (Lone Wolf ops are not "experience."), not only are you not contributing to the profession, you are hurting it. You're taking away a job from somebody who actually wants to make this a career and raise a family on their education.

If you're here for serious business, I ask that you please take time to re-evaluate your motivations and your plans to fulfill them. If you're just passing through because you think this is something fun to do for a couple of years, then please at least get serious about those couple of years and try to do as little damage to the profession as possible during that time.

Thanks, and I truly wish you the best of luck.

LOL! :lol:

Pretty much! But really, I don't lose sleep over the wanker factor unless it is hurting the profession or putting the public at risk. If somebody wants to wear a plumbers pouch full of haemostats and paste giant Star Of Life stickers all over his piece of crap pickup truck, that's fine with me. It's only when they start jumping runs they have no business on, or driving dangerously that I take public issue with it.

Same as I do. I do not wear EMS shirts all the time, carry a jump bag in my car, tell everyone I'm a medic, have a sticker on the car, or anything else. I am proud of being a medic, but I have no desire to push it in everyone's face, as I assume you believe as well. My only lean towards the "wankerism" is that I ocassionally wear the funny Zoll t-shirt I picked up as a freebie from the rep.

In this case, it was beginning to sound like you were contemplating a little freelancing, unassociated with any reputable EMS provider agency. If that is the case, I take issue with it because of both of the above stated reasons.

No, that would be illegal, even at the BLS level. In my meet and greet I discussed my affiliations. Here I only asked for people's experiences with stocking these things so I could get some ideas. That was all. I am certainly affiliated, and am happy besides the crappy budget that only covers disposable supplies at the moment, requiring me to buy my own bag. But then again, another branch of the University is paying for the pack anyway. :D The EMS agency that I am affiliated with for this situation is BLS only, and my pack will originally be stocked for this potential. However, the medical director knows of my medic status, and there is now a possibility I will be authorized to perform at the ALS level. Notice though, it hasn't happened yet, and may not for some time - or may not at all. Hence the fact the ALS compartments will be empty. Maybe I'll find something else to place in there, but probably not. No need to overload.

You have already made clear your intentions to go on to medical school. That makes you not an EMS professional, but merely an EMS tourist. You're apparently not interested in becoming a real member of the profession who contributes to the betterment of the art or strives to make it a better career for yourself and those who come after you. For you, it's just a hobby. Something to whet your appetite for blood and guts til you can move on. Nothing personal, because you are a well spoken, intelligent, accomplished, and ambitious young man whom I respect, but you will find that those of us who have devoted a lifetime to trying to make this a real profession do not appreciate those who come along and cheapen it by treating it as just a stepping stone to something better. Think about it. You are calling the thing I have devoted over thirty years to, nothing but a temporary diversion, not worthy of your lifelong commitment. Can you understand why many of us might take offence to that? And if you are giving it away for free, just for the thrills (Lone Wolf ops are not "experience."), not only are you not contributing to the profession, you are hurting it. You're taking away a job from somebody who actually wants to make this a career and raise a family on their education.

I thank you for your interest. I am always willing to consider advice.

It may amuse you to know that my ultimate goal was to become a paramedic. I never even thought of being a physician. However, those whom I respected as my mentors, paramedics themselves, urged me to go to college, medical school, and become a physician. I resisted for a while, I just wanted to be a medic in the field, but they were right. In many ways it would be easier to stick it out right here with my medic cert already, but I have firmly believed in getting the best knowledge and education I can. As a physician, I will have more freedom to practice in the field, and will be better able to positively affect the situation in my area through the writing of protocols, QA, etc. Medical school was then the logical choice, and especially so considering the full scholarship I received. I believe I will be better prepared for the field at the physician level, and as a paramedic I will be able to continue working in the field until I have MD after my name. And yes, I intend to keep my medic cert even after I have my MD. I am proud of being a medic, it is not something I intend to cheapen.

Granted, the agency here is only first response, but considering my schedule, it is the best thing going for me. I plan on working at the on-campus ER and a third service back home, but this BLS service is all I have for consistant field experience. I know you are against BLS, but at the very least I am getting patient contact. I believe you would be even more opposed to me only working over summer and breaks and the occassional weekend, giving myself plenty of time to lose proficiency with skills or decision-making.

If you're here for serious business, I ask that you please take time to re-evaluate your motivations and your plans to fulfill them. If you're just passing through because you think this is something fun to do for a couple of years, then please at least get serious about those couple of years and try to do as little damage to the profession as possible during that time.

Thanks, and I truly wish you the best of luck.

And I thank you for your input. I understand the offense that EMTs and medics have when premed students take EMT just to "get out there." It offends me somewhat as well. But, as I hope I have explainted, that is not me. I do not believe you have a grasp on my situation, and have made a reaction to something you have encountered so many times before. I can tell you I'm probably a situation not so often encountered. I love EMS, and may very well be happier as "just" a paramedic. This is not something to do for a few years, this is what I honestly want as my career. I just intend to do it as a physician: in the ER, as a medical director, and perhaps one day at a helicopter program. Emergency medicine, especially in the field, is what I love most. I hope I am only myself reading into this post that you take issue with the fact I am "moving on" to medical school from being a paramedic. I do not consider it so much moving up as much as finding another niche where I can learn more, perform more, and have a more positive effect upon EMS.

With this said, I hope you better understand me and my motivations. If they still offend you, I am disappointed and sorry to hear that. And, if possible, I'd of course love your input as to whether I'm carrying too much or too little "crap" in my pack. That was the reason I posted, and the reason I registered even. I want to hopefully learn from the experience of others with stocking these packs.

P.S. I'd like to mention I hold no malice towards you Dust, I understand your motivations for challenging me.

-Nick

I've recently acquired both a Thomas ALS pack as well as their newer ALS Ultra pack. Both at very nice prices too, if I may mention. :D No way I'd pay the MSRP. A number of people have told me they are using them, but I only have personal experience really with the POS cheapo bags that are out there. Google searches and searches of forums I frequent have turned up nothing substantial. A few threads here mentioned people's distaste for the penchant to overstuff these, but that's it.

The manufacturer's photos of the ALS Ultra are at http://www.thomasems.com/ALS_Ultra.html . The older ALS at http://www.thomasems.com/ALS.html . I think I'll use the ALS for my personal "whacker bag" at home, the ALS Ultra for work. Mainly standbys and such, as it would be university EMS work. Mostly BLS level due to organization's licensure, but some potential for advanced skills sometime in the future, depending on what the medical director is comfortable with.

Anyone got photos, packing lists, etc.? The only thing I've ever found is a packing list from the USAF Air Doc's at Kennedy Space Center specifying their loadout. Problem is that it is designed for physician level, not paramedic or EMT level. No good photos anywhere either. Just the same old ones from Thomas with their 20 year old Intracaths in the top pocket... :shock: I really don't want to reinvent the wheel unless I have to.

Really appreciate any help offered.

-Nick

most new zealand emt-ers (well the ones who use softpacks anyway) use these ones

not wanted ant commercial flames or anything! :D

http://www.cactusclimbing.co.nz/index.php?...19&vmcchk=1

Sweet. :lol: You are quite right that goals and priorities change, especially in the younger years. You are wise to remain flexible until such time that your heart is solidly drawn to a particular path. At that time though, you would also be wise to discard all other diversions and focus. Time flies quickly. You'll be 50 before you know it. 8)

Anyhow, Sounds a little heavily packed to me, but that's pretty hard to qualify or quantify. You can always do the "what if" thing and justify just about anything. You'll be a wanker everyday you carry that 40 pound pack around... right up to the day you actually need it, and then you suddenly become visionary. You're going to know better than me what the potential is there on your campus. I just sure hope that is an aluminium oxygen cylinder! :lol:

Remember, if you are going to be performing first response duties with another agency ultimately transporting, that agency is not impressed by the thoroughness of your bandaging and splinting, and in fact wish you wouldn't have done it at all because it screws up their ability to assess the patient. Consequently, bandages and splints are something most people could go a lot lighter on for first responder bags. Although, of course you have to consider the possibility of "treat and release" situations where the patient will simply catch a POV to the ER, where a sling and swath or wrist splint would be good. But remember, the liability of "treat and release" can be serious.

I think I'd dump the pedi BVM and Broslow tape. But then I don't really care about kids either.

Find something better for suction. Even if it is just a 60cc cath tip syringe with an ET tube stuck on the end. That should be a much bigger priority than any of the other things you listed.

If you can get them, a fingertip pulse ox and a glucometer would be helpful additions to the diagnostic pouch.

What about an AED? Will you have one of those? If you're lucky enough to be in a position where they will be ordering one, be sure and talk them into the Philips with the monitor screen on it. Doesn't cost any more than the crap arse Lifepak, and much better.

Good luck!

Hey! thats kinda the same as my uniform! Don't knock the bean green lol! :P

LOL...do you think that the Johnny's in Aus came up with that uniform on their own?

They stole it strait from the UK mate :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.