FDNY EMS

jb811297

Hello everyone. July of 2006 I registered with FDNY to be an EMT. I recently called back to get a status check to see where they were in their hiring list. Anyway, they said that I should be getting a call by the end of the month, which is great. My only problem is that I am 18 years old and go to school as well. About how much time goes by from when FDNY calls you until you actually start work? (ie getting all testing done). And is it possible to go to school at the same time as working? I have heard that nearly all FDNY EMTs and paramedics got to school, but I have also heard that their schedules are too hectic, especially with the mandatory overtime. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are in the academy, you are put on a D Platoon schedule and can either be on Tour 2 (0700 to 1500 hrs, I believe it was) or Tour 3, (1500 to 2300 hrs), 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, for around 3 months.

Once you graduate, depending on where you are assigned, you can get either Platoon A, B, or C, whereby you alternate 2 or 3 days off a week stepping through the week, so you would have Monday, Tuesday off one week, then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday off the next week, followed by Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. etc.

You will work either Tour I, Tour II, or Tour III, which is either overnight, day, or evening shift, which are usually around about 2300 to 0700, 0700 to 1500, or 1500 to 2300 respectively. You can do mutuals, where one person covers your shift on one day, and then you work their shift on another day, but that is up to you finding someone who can switch with you.

Remember, the choice of your tour and platoon are up to the Captain of where you are assigned. Generally speaking, Commanding Officers don't like to have newly assigned EMT's come in and tell them what shifts they need to be put on, but if you give them your time constraints, I'm sure they'll try to work with you, but its a matter of you accommadating them, rather than vice versa.

FDNY hires 18 year olds? :?

Anyhow, this is one of the primary reasons why so few in EMS ever complete a degree. It is nearly impossible to go to school full-time while working in EMS, much less do so while making good grades and actually learning anything.

I don't know what you are studying for, but I hope it isn't anything important.

FDNY hires 18 year olds? :?

Anyhow, this is one of the primary reasons why so few in EMS ever complete a degree. It is nearly impossible to go to school full-time while working in EMS, much less do so while making good grades and actually learning anything.

I don't know what you are studying for, but I hope it isn't anything important.

Ummmm...

Carlos Nieto did it on Third Watch and he worked for FDNY while he was in school.

Third Watch is the most accurate representation of any EMS show.

Shame on you Dust for making people think they can't reach for that rainbow.

References cited (and yes I know wikipedia isn't a good reference...GOD!...) -

http://www.anthonyruivivar.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Watch

PS - I would wager to say that a significant, if not the majority of people who have entered EMS since the advent of the 2 year PCP (entry) college program do have 4 year university degrees (not in EMS). This was either done prior or since being hired.

I have two degrees...and the 30k in loans to show for it. I just hope to make enough over my EMS career to pay for it

Now when people say "degree" in the USA, what can/does that mean?

In Canada, generally speaking, a degree is a 4 year university degree. You can get a 3 year degree (university) but they are falling out of favour or simply not available in Ontario (not 100% sure for the rest of Canada).

Now in Ontario, entry into EMS (Primary care paramedic) requires a 2 year college DIPLOMA. College's, unless affiliated with a university, do not (to my knowledge) offer degree's. They are certainly not (again to my knowledge) less than 4 years. There is a distinct difference between college and university education, generally speaking, in Canada.

I have seen people who ask for education in the US quote this AAS (or is it ASS) "degree" in paramedicine. This is generally 2 years (college I assume).

Can you get a "degree" in 2 years in the US? I assume you can't get a "degree" in philosophy (undergrad) in 2 years.

For example -

http://www.michener.ca/ft/respiratorytherapy.php

RT requires a 3 year DIPLOMA here. However because this school is associated with a university, a fourth year is available, and in turn a diploma and a degree.

Also ACP's (similar to EMT-P's) now upon entry into the field need 3 years of education (normally 2+1) to become an ACP. However I just have a diploma and a post-graduate diploma (I guess) for this.

Just asking...

A degree in the US can be an Associate's Degree (two year degree), a bachelor's degree (four year degree), a master's degree or a doctoral degree (PhD).

So people can say "I have a college degree" and be referencing only an Associate's.

Associate's degrees are typically technical programs. Bachelor's are more wide ranging requiring a variety of classes typically including some sort of liberal arts component in combination with classes required for the major.

Hope this helps.

-be safe

A degree in the US can be an Associate's Degree (two year degree), a bachelor's degree (four year degree), a master's degree or a doctoral degree (PhD).

So people can say "I have a college degree" and be referencing only an Associate's.

Associate's degrees are typically technical programs. Bachelor's are more wide ranging requiring a variety of classes typically including some sort of liberal arts component in combination with classes required for the major.

Hope this helps.

-be safe

It does paramedicmike.

Thanks.

Ummmm...

Carlos Nieto did it on Third Watch and he worked for FDNY while he was in school.

Third Watch is the most accurate representation of any EMS show.

Shame on you Dust for making people think they can't reach for that rainbow.

WHAT???... 3rd Watch most accurate ???... the Firefighters in NYC don't want the EMS personnel in the Firehouses,, 99% of the stations are not co-located with FDNY Engine or Truck Companies ..... so I dont know what system you worked in but 3rd watch is not a very accurate depiction of FDNY EMS... as for him working and going to college.. good luck with the mandatory overtime ,,, if you are going to a college like John Jay that offers Day/Evening classes so if you miss the day class you can catch the same class later in the day ,, you might have a shot... as for most EMT's and Medics going to school ... I dunno if that is true.. I just visited NYC last week and was visiting many of my former colleagues at FDNY-EMS (formerly NYC-EMS) and there are a lot of young kids there going to college,, but there are a lot of people who aren't going to college also ...

What ever happens try to find a shift that works for you and volunteer for KVO (Known Vacancy Overtime) to prevent from getting mandated when you have important classes ...

Good Luck

Former.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.