What you guys do when an ambulance passes you code 3?

AnthonyM83

I've noticed that a lot of ambulance drivers will turn their lights and sirens on at intersections when another ambulance is approaching them code 3. This is obviously meant to help the code 3 L&S ambulance by getting the attention of more drivers and stopping the intersection better, with the extra siren and extra lights.

I usually don't do this, though, out of concern that cars will get mixed up and just see me with L&S, assume the intersection is clear to make a last minute dash while I work through traffic (since I'm just sitting there), and might collide with the code 3 ambulance. I think it's safer to have only one siren per intersection and it should belong to the unit crossing it against traffic.

Sometimes I'll put just my lights on and sometimes just my rears. I never see PD turn their sirens on when we pass...it's just too much noise and distraction for motorists (which I think a lot of ambulance drivers just like b/c the L&S are cool and fun), though PD often actually clears the intersection in advance for us by pulling into it with lights going if they see us coming up behind them...which is nice. Not sure if I would do that, though, since it's hard to maneuver the ambulance back into traffic...and I'm not a cop.

Others' thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others' thoughts?

Same thoughts as yours, except that I have never seen "a lot" of ambulances do this. Maybe twice in thirty years.

Must be a California thing.

Well I can’t speak from an Ambulance point of view as I don’t work frontline emergency but in the fire truck depending on how heavy the traffic is, we normally obey the normal road rules at an intersection. In heavy traffic we obey the normal road laws and speed limits even running L&S, just make the whole trip a safer one.

Even at traffic lights we’ll just sit there until it goes green then run amongst the normal traffic. In low to no traffic we go nuts, speed, run red lights ect…

Although I can’t say I’ve ever had the police block off traffic for us.

I have to say that is an odd thing to do. I have never done that and never would as it would be a huge distraction. The crew that is in response mode are more than capable of negotiating thier own path. For me to turn on lights would only confuse other drivers and is pointless and very unsafe.

Think of all the EVOC or CEVO classes you have taken. Did they ever instruct you to do this?

I don't think so (hint: I am an instructor.)

It's just an unsafe practice nevermind the liability it puts you and your service in (I know, I always hate going the legal route but its true).

While we are talking about this, I will mention a similar pet peeve of mine. I have slapped many of partners hands as they reach for the lights while driving merely to say "hello" to a passing ambulance. This annoys the crud out of me. Yes, you are two ambulances, passing each other but why must you flick the lights or toot the siren? Just a friendly wave will suffice and if the other party happens to not notice you, oh well.

I have seen this dumb practice done quite a bit and I have seen it confuse motorists.

Use your head out there people...

when the ambulance passes I just throw out the stop sticks and hope they make it through.

Actually I've slapped partners for turning on the lights when another ambulance is coming. It just confuses the drivers out there who are already confused enough when they come in contact with an ambulance going L&S

AS for bleeping or flashing lights when the ambulances pass is just plain stupid and I'm sure that each of the ambulances sees the other.

I've noticed that a lot of ambulance drivers will turn their lights and sirens on at intersections when another ambulance is approaching them code 3. This is obviously meant to help the code 3 L&S ambulance by getting the attention of more drivers and stopping the intersection better, with the extra siren and extra lights.

I usually don't do this, though, out of concern that cars will get mixed up and just see me with L&S, assume the intersection is clear to make a last minute dash while I work through traffic (since I'm just sitting there), and might collide with the code 3 ambulance. I think it's safer to have only one siren per intersection and it should belong to the unit crossing it against traffic.

Sometimes I'll put just my lights on and sometimes just my rears. I never see PD turn their sirens on when we pass...it's just too much noise and distraction for motorists (which I think a lot of ambulance drivers just like b/c the L&S are cool and fun), though PD often actually clears the intersection in advance for us by pulling into it with lights going if they see us coming up behind them...which is nice. Not sure if I would do that, though, since it's hard to maneuver the ambulance back into traffic...and I'm not a cop.

Others' thoughts?

In my preceptorship in Toronto we have actually done this once with the response car (SUV, I don't know if she would do it in the ambulance or not) and also had it done for us by a cop once (both times without any problems). My preceptor explained to me about how to do it safely so when you are in the intersection you are not physically blocking anyone from going through but you hopefully keep them stopped so the responding vehicle can get through. Obviously if you do it and hang out in the middle of the intersection you're stupid or if you go into the intersection before traffic stops you're stupid.

The concern about someone making a dash is a valid one but really something that is always a risk at intersections and will be more of an issue for the other crew than you. You will hopefully be off to the side so people could go through the intersection if they wanted to, but they won't because you intimidate them. Anyone going through an intersection needs to be worried about some idiot making a dash or panicking, but as long as the person in the other responding vehicle still takes the time to look at the intersection and doesn't get a false sense of security I don't see why it would be a problem.

But that is just one student's opinion.

Couple of points here:

1. Most run of the mill motorists are blind and/or deaf when it comes to lights and sirens. Heaven forbid they suddenly notice us when there are, 2 countem 2 vehicles lit up in the intersections. Can you say MAYHEM?

2. Most run of the mill motorists are already sufficiently confused as soon as they put that key in the ignition. Why make it worse?

3. My humble experience in Toronto: most motorists will stop more frequently and willingly for a cab than for an emergency vehicle (with the exception of those crazy fire fighters, bless their souls, they're bigger than everyone). The problem with Toronto, as with other big cities I imagine is that once you get right downtown, ie around the StMikes area, it becomes really really hard to decipher which direction the ORIGINAL siren is coming from, even when you're conditioned as we are to hear them, as the sound has a tendency to reverberate (wow, big word) off all the surrounding buildings.

To answer the original question: when I am approached by any other emergency vehicle that is running hot, it doesn't matter if I'm in an ambulance or a fire truck (unless I, too am running hot)I behave like any good motorist should (emphasis on SHOULD) and pull to the right and stop.

Tox :)

Well interesting post and good question, yes, I too have had the police block intersections and use a leapfrog tecknique but never been requested by myself for this courtesy, this is for the pros that have appropriate training, not the average ambulance opertator. When "not" on a call I become just a regular delivery truck.

The responding unit should NOT be travelling in such a manner that would warrent assistance, if they are pushing it... the ambulance bay is the time to have a friendly little fireside chat. I have seen far too many "out of towners" lighting it up to expedite a routine transfer, with granny steping out of a rig with her suitcase in hand in the bay......OMG don't go there! The Hiway traffic act here does not give an Ambulance special rights of passage in the first place and to quote a statistic, lighting it up automatically increases your risk 15 % for a collision.

K.I.S.S principal applies here, with all the distractions on the roads these days "I" try not to add to this semi organised confusion......put the bloody cell phone DOWN people ! or pull over if you need to chat, hell I do.

I can walk and chew gum as well, but why push it ?

I have encouraged my partners to roll down the window, make direct eye contact and then use the very old "stop hand signal" and quite successful I may add, anything more and one will totally bambosal most of the "cell phone implanted in the ear crowd" just my bitch here but hands free cellular operations should be banned as well, the brain is still disconnected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.