Supersized

bbbrammer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years back my partner and I had to "retrieve" a large pt from a nursing home for transport to the ER... I estimate 600lbs. Fortunately, the nursing home had a hydraulic lift (think of a device similar to that of lifting a whale at an aquarium), which made this an easy pickup. But in the ER, we stood back and let the nurses handle it :P

How do you feel about picking up people this large, what is in your mind at this moment. Have some of your crew ever made fun of them?

Believe it or not we havn't made fun of them. We have several people out here who are 500+ lbs. The only thing that I feel about picking up these people is distress simply because our cot is only rated to 500lbs and we usually have to call in another service to take care of them because of that. Don't take offense, this thread is not to make fun of people. I am a decent sized person myself, especially because I am short. My question was more of a fact finding mission or general census (if you will) than any kind of mocking. I just put it in this forum because most people do find this kind of stuff funny, as well as it being a very popular forum for responses. Thats all.

Windsong wrote:

How do you feel about picking up people this large, what is in your mind at this moment. Have some of your crew ever made fun of them?

No its not funny at all, my back dosent think its funny, Its not funny that they always live on the third floor and its not funny that the elevator is always broken.

Not funny at all.

Some of the looks that we get upon delivery of these patients are pretty comical, but the situation itself is a long way from funny.

Shocking, maybe. Confusing, occasionally. Frustrating, frequently.

Never funny.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.