Supersized

bbbrammer

I think you contradict yourself when you say something like this:

I think that people, obese or thin need to take accountability for their physical condition, because it is influenced soley by their choices.

But then in your next breath you say this:

I DO sympathize with the individuals who give weight loss through diet and exercise a shot, and fail, because in that situation, there's not much they can do.

You catch my drift?

In one sentence, you can't say "Well, you wouldn't be fat if you'd taken responsibility for your actions. If you'd done that earlier, you wouldn't have a weight problem".......and then say "Well, you're fat, you tried to lose weight, and you've failed, so now I have sympathy for you"....

It just doesn't make any sense. Either you're sympathetic from the beginning or you're not. You can't change your story mid-stream!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you contradict yourself when you say something like this:

But then in your next breath you say this:

You catch my drift?

In one sentence, you can't say "Well, you wouldn't be fat if you'd taken responsibility for your actions. If you'd done that earlier, you wouldn't have a weight problem".......and then say "Well, you're fat, you tried to lose weight, and you've failed, so now I have sympathy for you"....

It just doesn't make any sense. Either you're sympathetic from the beginning or you're not. You can't change your story mid-stream!!

Okay I guess you're right. I wasn't thorough enough. The second thing you quoted me on is based upon genetics/upbringing, etc, because I think childhood obesity is devestating, and unfair, because these people never really get a shot at being healthy.

Does this help at all?

Skinny girls to blame for train delays

Instead of cursing the transportation gods for subway delays, we should direct our anger at skinny girls who put their vanity before everyone else's commute, according to amNewYork. Crash-dieting women who pass out for lack of food are one of the top causes of New York subway delays, according to Asim Nelson, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority emergency medical technician. "You have women trying to get their bodies tight for the summer and they won't eat," he said. "Not eating for three or four days, you are going to go down. If you don't eat for 12 hours you are going to get weak." amNewYork spells out the moral of the story: "Subway late? Blame the lady wearing a size 0."

For lack of actual statistics -- the MTA doesn't keep track of the nature of "sick customer" incidents, and amNew York concedes that flu symptoms and hangover complaints can also delay trains -- this wholly unscientific report attempts to bolster its claims by marching out 17-year-old Talisa McGraw, who "sheepishly" admits to having skipped breakfast and dinner prior to her fainting spell on a train last month. "I felt dizzy and light and dropped down. Luckily someone got me a seat and called the conductor," she said. That morning, Nelson treated McGraw, as well as four other women who had passed out or felt weak.

I suppose if there's one good thing to be said about this article it's that it doesn't go so far as to blame transportation delays on, say, "the vapors." (Though we'd love to see the Onion's take on that.) Twisty of I Blame The Patriarchy isn't so kind; she calls it an example of "woman-blaming-as-national-bloodsport."

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

Does this help at all?

Skinny girls to blame for train delays

Instead of cursing the transportation gods for subway delays, we should direct our anger at skinny girls who put their vanity before everyone else's commute, according to amNewYork. Crash-dieting women who pass out for lack of food are one of the top causes of New York subway delays, according to Asim Nelson, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority emergency medical technician. "You have women trying to get their bodies tight for the summer and they won't eat," he said. "Not eating for three or four days, you are going to go down. If you don't eat for 12 hours you are going to get weak." amNewYork spells out the moral of the story: "Subway late? Blame the lady wearing a size 0."

For lack of actual statistics -- the MTA doesn't keep track of the nature of "sick customer" incidents, and amNew York concedes that flu symptoms and hangover complaints can also delay trains -- this wholly unscientific report attempts to bolster its claims by marching out 17-year-old Talisa McGraw, who "sheepishly" admits to having skipped breakfast and dinner prior to her fainting spell on a train last month. "I felt dizzy and light and dropped down. Luckily someone got me a seat and called the conductor," she said. That morning, Nelson treated McGraw, as well as four other women who had passed out or felt weak.

I suppose if there's one good thing to be said about this article it's that it doesn't go so far as to blame transportation delays on, say, "the vapors." (Though we'd love to see the Onion's take on that.) Twisty of I Blame The Patriarchy isn't so kind; she calls it an example of "woman-blaming-as-national-bloodsport."

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

That doesn't disprove anything. They need to be accountable too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.