Supersized

bbbrammer

And the fact is there are more and more land whales out there each year. Its a testament to American laziness and to the Fast food industry that supersizes, upsizes, value sizes, biggiesizes, and gives the customer a triple serving of nutritionally bad crap.

I have no sympathy for land whales. They are a burden to EMS.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how much this one patient weighed, but I helped move her from the hospital to the ambulance. One of our trucks was transferring her to a nursing facility. She was so large that she was placed on top of a tarp on a bariatric hospital bed. The "antlers" that lock the stretcher in the ambulance were removed from the floor of the truck, and the patient was pulled into the truck on the tarp. She barely fit - was actually "squeezed" into the back of the ambulance. Her arms were so huge that there is no way she could reach her face with her hands. Someone literally had to feed her. Amongst other things.

I can't help but believe that there is some medical basis for someone to be this morbidly obese.Some physical abnormality beyond the control of the patient. I really don't think that these people are deserving of disdain any more than an emaciated terminal CA patient is.

I have no idea how much this one patient weighed, but I helped move her from the hospital to the ambulance. One of our trucks was transferring her to a nursing facility. She was so large that she was placed on top of a tarp on a bariatric hospital bed. The "antlers" that lock the stretcher in the ambulance were removed from the floor of the truck, and the patient was pulled into the truck on the tarp. She barely fit - was actually "squeezed" into the back of the ambulance. Her arms were so huge that there is no way she could reach her face with her hands. Someone literally had to feed her. Amongst other things.

I can't help but believe that there is some medical basis for someone to be this morbidly obese.Some physical abnormality beyond the control of the patient. I really don't think that these people are deserving of disdain any more than an emaciated terminal CA patient is.

Well said becks well said.....judge not and be not judged.......

Without judging anyone in particular, the point is America is an obese nation. Hell! I saw four fat Debutants in todays local news paper! I predict that soon all ambulance designs will incorporate modifications to accomodate the "bariatric population".

Our lack of respect, laziness and nonmotivation will be our down fall if we dont get off our asses now.

Somedic

And the fact is there are more and more land whales out there each year. Its a testament to American laziness and to the Fast food industry that supersizes, upsizes, value sizes, biggiesizes, and gives the customer a triple serving of nutritionally bad crap.

I have no sympathy for land whales. They are a burden to EMS.

I have very little sympathy for many of them. THere is very little that differentiates them from the rest of the population, the fact that they don't want to do anything about their weight is one thing, but it's not going to get them much empathy.

I don't see food as an addiction. i'm sorry. You'll never ever sell me on that. The one time I feel bad for these people is when a medical condition leads to their weight. That's it. Otherwise it involves a series of choices that the people themselves make. When you take away our free will as humans, we become nothing more than the animals we feel superior to.

I've often wondered about that. I once had a bad reaction to medication. In 6 weeks I went from 200lbs to 290lbs! Never in my life had I been above 200lbs! My wife swears I ate less, or at most the same while I was sick, the weight just piled on....

Once I quite the meds, I lost 40lbs in the next 3 weeks, and another 40lbs in the 4 weeks that followed.

In the last 4 months I've had my big ass planted in this chair, eating and studying and eating, constantly...I couldn't even spell exercise...Yet my weight changed by only 8lbs. 4 Months of sitting and eating!! Why arent I as big as a house?

I guess my point is that I don't believe, that if I dedicated my life to the task, that I could manage to even get back to 300lbs, much less 500,800, or 1000!

The calories in - calories burned = weight change, just doesn't always seem to hold true. I'm no expert, so if you're fat, I'm not saying you're not to blame, and if you're skinny, perhaps you deserve all of the credit...It just doesn't seem to be a constant equation for everyone.

Anyway...what becksdad said....

Dwayne

somedic- I really pose no question to you because your statements thus far show the realm of your compassion for human life and suffering.

I have very little sympathy for many of them. THere is very little that differentiates them from the rest of the population, the fact that they don't want to do anything about their weight is one thing, but it's not going to get them much empathy.

How in the world can you even begin to know what these people want? Just because they are obese, that automatically justifies in your mind a judgment that they are unwilling (not unable) to do anything about their weight?

I don't see food as an addiction.

You don't see food as an addiction??? I'm sorry, are you really in the medical profession? Would you also not consider bulimia or anorexia a food addiction or mental/medical problem? If so, how can the problem swing one way and not the other?

i'm sorry. You'll never ever sell me on that. The one time I feel bad for these people is when a medical condition leads to their weight.

bulimia, Anorexia, and MORBID OBESITY are very serious medical/mental conditions that need to be treated as such. Just because you and I and most of america has been brainwashed by the media and tv and advertising that as long as you look like (insert fav sexy model/tv star) and only if, or if you already have a lot of money, that your worth peoples' time and respect--that is just a copout-- be a human being and think with your own brain.

Their are some smaller obese people 250-350 range that granted maybe have let themselves go or let the weight get away from them. But again i've seen this in some of my friends where something would change in their life(tragically) or drastically and as comfort they would without realizing until to late or caring at that time, they had gained a significant amount of weight.

Would you judge that person as harshly if you had known they just lost their dad, or just got raped, or husband is abusive, or, or, or,,,,. You cannot know what is it like to be in someone elses life. You have absolutely no right to judge them.

That's it. Otherwise it involves a series of choices that the people themselves make. When you take away our free will as humans, we become nothing more than the animals we feel superior to.

Yes we as humans do make a series of choices in our lives somes for the good and some for the bad. I feel that god has given us free will to make those choices. Sometimes we have to suffer the consequences of our choices. I don't think anyone has said anything about taking away anyone's free will. And the only one's here acting like animals on this site are the

one's who feel superior to humans that may be different than them.

:D:|

:|:|

Alright. First of all, I stated that if a medical condition existed, they had my sympathy; this would also include anorexia and other eating disorders. If you're going to disect parts of my post, do yourself the favor of reading the entire thing before you miss a detail that makes your entire argument moot.

Healthy, thin people have emotional problems too. Does that mean we just empathize with them if they eat themselves into oblivion as a result? Emotional instability doesn't mean they should throw their health away, and if they do, it's their choice. There are better ways of dealing with emotional stress than comfort foods. Unless they have a pre-existing medical condition that predisposes them to obesity, then yes, if they're obese, I can infer that they are too lazy to do anything about it. If they try, and fail, more power to them, but that's where normality ends, and a medical condition may begin.

Don't imply that I've been brainwashed, because I know full well that not everyone can be britney spears, and I woudl also like to state for the record, since you called me on it, that most of the celebrities displayed in our media are underweight, and unhealthy in another sense entirely.

As far as my free will comment goes, and I'm going to say this multiple times, and perhaps use caps to emphasize my point, IF A PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL PROBLEM DOES NOT EXIST, people have the option to eat healthy and exercise daily, fi they choose to go to mcdonalds instead, that's their problem, but so is their weight.

And yeah, I judge people. I guess I'm heartless. Get over it, because you just judged me. Maybe I'm not morbidly obese, but I have feelings too damn it! "Be a human being"?! You make me laugh. :roll:

I work with an Ambulance Mfg and EMS sales outlet as well as continue to work casual EMS. We are having more and more servicing looking to retrofit and order Bariatric Transport Units and equipment. The Stryker Bariatric Cot is a hot item because you can acually fit a bariatric person onto it with a 750lb weight rating in raised positions. the problem is lifting and moving. The Powered cots (ferno and Stryker) are a partial solution for lifting and loading patients at and under the 500lb mark.

Has anyone seen the Transafe Ramop and Wich System from MedPro or the Bariatric Lift system from Mac's Lift Gate, these are two options we have installed, however due to the modifications and price, it is a major investment for a service.

www.macslift.com www.transafesystems.com

Two Bariatric Solutions that do work.

emtsaver911: You have no clue about "my realm of human comapssion and suffering". Are you a land whale or are you sleeping with one?

And yes Im acting like an animal for your benefit. I am superior to the 500lb jabba the hut that cannot even see his own penis.

I am superior to these types of people because I live a better life with lots of exercise and not being lazy.

As EMS providers we dont have to have sympathy for land whales. We just have to put on our poker face and act like we give a shite...long enough to figure out how to get their big ass to the hospital.......

SOMEDIC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.