What were the hands-on parts of your EMT-B class like?

bumpus

Our class recently went through the splinting portion of class. We had most of one class set aside to physically work with all of the apparatus we need to understand how to use. However, when that day came, our instructor basically told us to use our books and learn how to use everything.

I felt she should have demonstrated how everything worked, as opposed to having us figure it out from the book, and hope that we're doing it correctly. So is this how it's generally done??

Every instructor has their own way of doing things. Way back when I was in class, we worked out of the book, stopped, she showed us and then we did hands on.

If you aren't getting a good understanding or her method is confusing to you, now is the time to speak up and request that she go through it and then watch as you do it and help as needed.

Our instructor set up a station for each splinting device, broke us into groups and rotated us through every station, every device. Each person had the opportunity to experience each role in EMT-B/Patient application of each device. This is how he operates every practical portion of our training.

Maybe things are done differently in the states, but up here in the Canadian Equivalent (EMR) we had skills books that we had to get signed off for each item including the various splinting devices. This makes hands on time a must. As well we had access to 'play' with the equipment before and after classes as well as during our breaks.

Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was still in EMT-B class, we rotated through skills stations.... a different 'skills instructor' at each station following State Guidelines (before Missouri went NR) and demonstrating, and then allowing time for practice. If I remember correctly the splinting skills were over 2 nights.

When I taught.... I did basically the same thing.. with one difference. I did all of the full demonstrations at the end of the lecture portion for that class, and then rotated students out into skills stations. I was blessed enough to have NUMEROUS State Evaluators as close friends and adjunct instructors. I would promise them dinner, in trade for a couple of hours of their time. It worked well for all of us. I also had the opportunity of teaching in the same building as our Pre-Hospital Services Dept. so finding someone to help with class was rarely ever a problem.

As stated earlier though, every instructor has their own way. Just because this is the way that I did things, does not mean it's the ONLY way.

Jo

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds like we're not being taught as well as we should be. But this isn't the first time that thought has entered my mind during this class. Kelley, your idea about requesting more time is a great one, but we're down to 4 class sessions before we're done, and at least half of those are devoted to testing. Some of us from class will be getting together to try and make sure that we all understand the splinting basics.

Our class has not been run well from the beginning, and it's only gotten worse in my opinion. I should have spoken to someone earlier, but the fear of possible retribution from the instructor lingers in my head. I'm not sure what she could do to ruin my chances of passing, but I don't want to find out :) Ah well, thanks again guys and girls.

The girls must love me. I'm the only guy in this thread so far :)

We did have hands on, it's just that we were not shown how it should be done. We had to use the book to figure it out. I was just saying that I think our instructor should have demonstrated how to use each device.

Do you have any affiliation with a department or organization yet? Do you know any EMT's? Get with them and have them help you. We had go hands on time in my class, but we would go nback to station later in the week and work on it more.

Best of luck.

Sarge

Hey Sarge. Unfortunately, I have no affiliations, and don't know anyone who is currently an EMT or medic. I'm just gonna have to tough it out. I'm good with the written tests, for the most part. I just don't feel very comfortable with hands on yet. But I guess it'll come with time and practice.