IV Practice

echo-000

There is at least one school around here that has the students sink NGs on each other. Glad I didn't go there! :shock:
We were discussing this very subject tonight! One individual actually volunteered to be the patient! :lol: :shock:

On the original question, yes, we did practice IVs on each other before we were turned loose on the unsuspecting public. Nothing larger than a 18g though, anything bigger is just wrong. :-$

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two 18 gauges started on me the first week of October and I STILL have the scars. I never knew the damn things lasted this long! :shock:

I think there is a OH&S policy that precludes it, so you get your practice in your student years on the road. In class is done on mannikins, but im working on diggin up some experience with a mobile blood collection sinking pins

• 1 month later...

We started on each other. In order to pass we needed to start 4 lines per person, and since there were only two of us learning I was stuck a bunch of times.. What was really bad was when we only had two more 18s left, so if I messed up on my final stick, I would be on the wrong end of a 14.

But we didn't start with dummies or anything, first with a rubber tube-like thing and then right into a human.

The first stick did hurt though.

One of the best teaching techniques I have utilised is to force my students to go for the hard shots. Let them set up the IV and choose their vein, then tell them to choose another one, eliminating the easy shot. Make the AC veins "off limits" until they have at least tried one blind or difficult shot distally. If all they do is go for easy shots that don't even require tourniquets, they'll never get any better. I make them take blind shots at the cephalic vein on the wrist, going by feel. After a couple of successes at that, their confidence is greatly increased, as is their technique.